Tablet

Help - looking to buy a tablet / ipad for my Mum really just to watch tv on while in Bed (Does not want a TV in Bedroom) torn between Ipad / Samsung advice please ?

Comments

• Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's just for Mother watching TV in bed, go for the Samsung, it's cheaper for a start...

However the Kindle fire is good for TV, that's even cheaper than both Samsung and ipad.
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's just for Mother watching TV in bed, go for the Samsung, it's cheaper for a start...

However the Kindle fire is good for TV, that's even cheaper than both Samsung and ipad.

The Kindle Fire HD is a good bit of kit, The TVCatchup app is great on this device.

mastanlem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    N7 or N10 , excellent bits of kit ....
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what you need get a ten inch Android tablet for £100, perfect for the job and general browsing/email.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    what app lets you watch tv?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

iPlayer, which by the way is a far superior app on the iPad than Android is a good one for the BBC.

Most of the UK TV networks have their own TV catch up apps for Android and iPad, there are also others available on the apps stores that cover multiple networks.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Catchup is excellent and has most of the freeview channels too
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    on iplayer can you watch BBC live or just previous shows?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    on iplayer can you watch BBC live or just previous shows?

BBC media player let's you watch live TV , you get a warning about having a TV licence , nor sure what they could do about it ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    For what you need get a ten inch Android tablet for £100, perfect for the job and general browsing/email.

However it doesn't mean you can watch TV on it even with BBC iplayer or catchupTV. Many of these cheapo tabs are useless for TV no matter what app you use.

At least with a Kindle fire or Fire HD you CAN at least watch TV on it...
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVCatchup offers around 40 live channels. Be careful though as some cheaper tablets have poor Wi-Fi, which will more than likely make streaming channels unstable.

Hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    TVCatchup offers around 40 live channels. Be careful though as some cheaper tablets have poor Wi-Fi, which will more than likely make streaming channels unstable.

Hope this helps.

I don't agree, my £50 tablet has very good wifi, in fact I was quite impressed with the wifi. The only real issue with cheaper tablets is what I posted before, the cheaper tab's don't work with ANY TV apps, you get sound only, no picture..
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For wifi it's best if both the router and the tablet or computer have 802.11n. n is faster and has better range than b or g.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've a cheapo 10" Superpad 8, 32gb

Tvcatchup works fine, BBC iplayer etc. Netflix works fine. If you download the Hola app for PC or Android it tells netflix your in the States and you get free access to all the shows on offer there (a lot lot more than the UK one) get it from hola.org Works on some other American sites too such as CBS, Fox, Hulu, Pandora.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    If you want to get something cheaper but with good specs than you may consider the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager as a very good deal - 10.1-inch IPS HD, Android 4.1, dual-core processor....
    Here are the full specs of this tablet in case you are interested -
    http://www.testproductreview.com/2013/04/sumvision-cyclone-voyager-101-inch.html