an open letter to steven moffat

delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
Forum Member
Dear Mr, Moffat
Every year on digital spy the same thread will appear on the forums the title generally being something like "who's your dream writers for season X" and every year I throw the same name into the hat, unfortunately this writer has not to my knowledge even been approached about the slightest possibility of even writing the title to an episode, and that would be a classic title in its own right, I speak of none other than ROBERT RANKIN, this man in my opinion is the natural sucssesor to Douglas Adams a legend in his own right nowhere more so than in the league of Dr who fans. Please Mr Moffat I implore you read Mr Rankin's works he has over 30 to choose from and I am sure you will see how this man could do things like I am sure you and Neil Gaiman are cooking up at the moment, I think he would probably be up for it so go on ask him

Yours in hopeful anticipation
Delroy

Comments

• delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I can but try :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Gaiman had previously written screenplays, but Robert Rankin hasn't. It's a lot different to writing a novel.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Neil Gaiman had previously written screenplays, but Robert Rankin hasn't. It's a lot different to writing a novel.

Possibly true but having read most of Roberts work having met him and been for a pint with him I know he is more than able

Oh an Douglas Adams hadn't done a novel till HHGTTG and look how that turned out :)
    Forum Member
    And it was meant more of a please add your own new year wishes to Steven n not a comment on wt I said. Oh yeah of course the brightononicon was addapted as a radio play n that worked
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read quite a few Robert Rankin books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I think his style may well be a bit too surreal, even for Doctor Who.
  • StevenRStevenR Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    If Robert Rankin ever does write an episode of Doctor Who, there definitely should be something powered by "the transperambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter".
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it could be aired later (I know Moffat has no control but he can influence). Merlin was on at a later time and that had one or two scenes that made me jump. I don't think doctor who has made me jump for a while. I know it's scary enough for a lot of people but I just feel it could be a little bit scarier at times. But I'm sure there are supposed to be a couple of creepy episodes in 7B, and from the trailer it looks fantastic.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    StevenR wrote: »
    If Robert Rankin ever does write an episode of Doctor Who, there definitely should be something powered by "the transperambulation of pseudo-cosmic antimatter".

Would the big bad be a lady in a straw hat?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat was asked about the possibility of (current DC comics Action Comics/Batman Incorporated writer) Grant Morrison writing the show, at a Q&A I was at in August, and he said he wouldn't hire people who weren't experienced UK television writers for the show, as new writers always make mistakes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Moffat ... said he wouldn't hire people who weren't experienced UK television writers for the show, as new writers always make mistakes.

And old experienced writers don't make mistakes either, do they? or go stale? Another example of Moffat's arrogance.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is if they get a famous name with very little experience in UK televeision Moffat will probably end up have to rewrite a large amount of the script.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tscchope wrote: »
    And old experienced writers don't make mistakes either, do they? or go stale? Another example of Moffat's arrogance.

They probably would have a better track record than any new writer with respect to making mistakes, with less requirement for rewrites (and ensuing delays)
    Forum Member
    Turning a script into a show, often involves quite a lot of re-writing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how much extra and unforseen rewriting would have to take place with new writers.

Remembering that rewrites cost money, they cost resource, and importantly they cost time. And when production is behind schedule, that is also likely to cost money.
    Forum Member
    Since new writers would be expected to make mistakes that would be factored into the delivery time for the script and re-writes can have an estimated cost in money and time factored in.
    There aren't going to to be that many episodes where scripts from new writers would be used and we're talking here about asking experienced writers to write a script, people who already know how to tell a story.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    There aren't going to to be that many episodes where scripts from new writers would be used and we're talking here about asking experienced writers to write a script, people who already know how to tell a story.
    How to tell a story on paper, maybe.

Unfortunately, Doctor Who is too big a show for an experienced writer with little TV experience to cut their teeth on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since new writers would be expected to make mistakes that would be factored into the delivery time for the script and re-writes can have an estimated cost in money and time factored in.
    And, as would be likely to be the case, the BBC puts a budget ceiling on any series, and also requires tight deadlines to be fulfilled?
    Writing a story is not the same as writing one that works in the confines of a 45 minute TV programme.

So one, or maybe two episodes where the scripts are delayed, where filming cannot begin, where guest actors have to be retained, where location shooting has to be rearranged (if possible), where post-production and sfx have to be delayed (assuming that the sfx company also has the necessary slack ......

Yeah, that would work.

Especially on a flagship series that is one of the centrepieces in the BBC's schedule.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    How to tell a story on paper, maybe.

Unfortunately, Doctor Who is too big a show for an experienced writer with little TV experience to cut their teeth on.

It's a pity nobody thought that way in 1987.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It's a pity nobody thought that way in 1987.

Unfortunately, at that time, Who wasn't a big show any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, at that time, Who wasn't a big show any more.

Spot on. There's no way someone like Cartmel would be allowed to come in and do what he did with all the new writers he used. Not unless he was the showrunner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delroy14 wrote: »
    Every year on digital spy the same thread will appear on the forums the title generally being something like "who's your dream writers for season X" and every year I throw the same name into the hat,

Is it a tradition or an old charter or something?

And I presume the hat will be a straw hat removed from the head of a lady?

I think Robert Rankin is an excellent choice - not considered him actually...and I first read The Brentford Triangle in 1988...and still re-read it every few years now...it used to be every year.

He does admit in this interview to not being a script-writer:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/interview/with/author/robert-rankin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod the new companion, Barry the Time Sprout as the new Tardis! Just an idea is all, chief...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, glad to see so many Sproutlorians on Digital Spy.

I think they should get Hugo Rune to play the Dr in his next regeneration...although I have a feeling Dr Who IS Hugo Rune really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I would love there to be a Dr Who story written by Robert Rankin. Also Jasper Fforde.