Madonna is being criticized for using fake guns in her show in Colorado

FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220460/Outrage-Madonna-uses-GUNS-Colorado-months-Dark-Knight-massacre.html

----

I get that the guns are part of her show, and the same production is going to be used in 50 other cities. I still think had she wanted to, she could have changed that part of the show to something different. She is talented, she must have a vivid imagination, it shouldn't be so hard to come up a way to change this part of the show for this specific town.

And the article mentions, that Madonna doesn't sugar coat things etc, I get that. But IMO this is not about sugarcoating, it is about respect for people's painful memories.

Comments

• SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna doesn't respect anything other than the £ sign. Her fans love to claim that this is all about her being controversial for a cause, that she is a campaigner and should be admired.

Her only cause is Madonna and how much her pathetic antics (which I find sad and laughable), shovel money into her bank account.

In these later years she has become a caricature.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    She cares alright. About getting her name in the bloody paper.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The words retiring gracefully have never been more apt with regards to Madonna.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day another thread with yet again the same old faces slagging off Madonna.

Why should Madonna be singled out?? should all movies that contain gun violence now be banned from all cinemas in Colorado??, should all TV shows that have gun violence in them be banned from local state TV in Colorado??

She shouldn't have to change anything. Its a show, just like a movie is a movie.

Above all though, FANS in Colorado payed for this show. Not an edited version. If they were offended then only they have the right to complain. Its the false concern from others that is more patronising to those in grief.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Madonna doesn't respect anything other than the £ sign. Her fans love to claim that this is all about her being controversial for a cause, that she is a campaigner and should be admired.

Her only cause is Madonna and how much her pathetic antics (which I find sad and laughable), shovel money into her bank account.

In these later years she has become a caricature.

I completely agree.

I loved Madonna in the 80's and 90's. I really thought she was a strong woman who wouldn't allow anyone to pull her stings and loved what she stood for.
    However, in the last 10 years or so, she has become a desperate. attention seeking figure who appears to do anything to make headlines and it's getting more and more pathetic.

Yes, she was always an attention seeker but she always managed to do it with a sense of irony and a glint in her eye. Now she is just screaming 'look at me' and coming across as just as desperate as someone from a reality tv show in her grasp for headlines.

Some of her more *passionate* fans will just attack anyone who criticizes her as *haters* but that's just denying the reality.
    It's not about calling her too old or past it but she just needs to get a bit more dignity.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Another day another thread with yet again the same old faces slagging off Madonna.

Why should Madonna be singled out?? should all movies that contain gun violence now be banned from all cinemas in Colorado??, should all TV shows that have gun violence in them be banned from local state TV in Colorado??

She shouldn't have to change anything. Its a show, just like a movie is a movie.

Above all though, FANS in Colorado payed for this show. Not an edited version. If they were offended then only they have the right to complain. Its the false concern from others that is more patronising to those in grief.

Sorry, I'm not old, and this is maybe my 3rd post about Madonna here or anywhere.

I'm not singling out Madonna, just calling her out on something disrespectful, and that should be allowed. She could have and should have changed the gun part of the show to something less similar to the tragedy that happened in this town just mere months ago. "It's my show, who cares how it effects people" attitude is really inhumane.

Also, the article states, that many people at the concert were really shocked, and didn't feel good about it.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I used to really admire Madonna for surviving in a difficult cruel world of showbiz. BUT recently, oh come on, anything to grab a headline. Find all this stripping off during her shows and now using a gun in Colorado of all places. SHE IS AN AMERICAN and knows how the control feel about guns and she does something like this after the nut shot people in a cinema etc. She is behaving like a stupid teenager,desperate for attention at 50 plus!!
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really admire Madonna for surviving in a difficult cruel world of showbiz. BUT recently, oh come on, anything to grab a headline. Find all this stripping off during her shows and now using a gun in Colorado of all places. SHE IS AN AMERICAN and knows how the control feel about guns and she does something like this after the nut shot people in a cinema etc. She is behaving like a stupid teenager,desperate for attention at 50 plus!!

Agree, she really is an attention seeking, irrelevant numptie
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I completely agree.

I loved Madonna in the 80's and 90's. I really thought she was a strong woman who wouldn't allow anyone to pull her stings and loved what she stood for.
    However, in the last 10 years or so, she has become a desperate. attention seeking figure who appears to do anything to make headlines and it's getting more and more pathetic.

Yes, she was always an attention seeker but she always managed to do it with a sense of irony and a glint in her eye. Now she is just screaming 'look at me' and coming across as just as desperate as someone from a reality tv show in her grasp for headlines.

Some of her more *passionate* fans will just attack anyone who criticizes her as *haters* but that's just denying the reality.
    It's not about calling her too old or past it but she just needs to get a bit more dignity.

Ach, were you in my head when you wrote this? :eek::p

So true- and I've enjoyed her music over the years. Just not her as a person.
  • tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desperado, is she losing her mind while losing her legacy? Retire while some still think you're great.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Que?? Gun crime happens EVERYWHERE in America. Dont know why Colerado is being singled out. The residents of another state could get upset about their own shootings

This part of the show has been done EVERYWHERE on the tour, a star is unlikely to change their set that much for 1 location.

This is just a Madge bashing excuse.

As far as her being "desperate" "attention seeking" and "controversial". do people have anmesia?? Been accused of this HER WHOLE CAREER!!:rolleyes:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    She cares alright. About getting her name in the bloody paper.

This is most likely why she did it. These celebrities know that publicity/attention is what will boost their career/profile.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna in attention seeking stunt shocker.

I actually feel sorry for her. She hasn't been relevant for a decade and is like the old divorcee down the bowling club trying to prove she's still got it.
  • tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Madonna in attention seeking stunt shocker.

I actually feel sorry for her. She hasn't been relevant for a decade and is like the old divorcee down the bowling club trying to prove she's still got it.

I know, do you think she'll take a shit on stage at some point?
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I stated in another thread, I'm not a fan of Madonna, but neither do I enjoy jumping on the band wagon and poking at her. However, who she is and what she does aside, when the police suggest that you drop a bit of your show (swop in a song for example, some bands do it every single show to keep it fresh) then surely to goodness anyone's reaction - given what has only fairly recently happened - would be, 'of course, I completely understand.'

I'm not entirely sure that continuing to do it was purely for the sake of the fans, although I don't like to believe that she's become so used to the fame game now that she's one for 'any publicity is good publicity.'

Personally I'm not sure it's a case of crucifying Madonna, or taking another chance to have a 'pop' at her. If it had been the Dalai Lama doing a talk in Denver waving around a fake gun I would question the judgement involved. For me it's not about her, it's about common sense and taking on board the feelings of others (which in this case is the recently bereaved).
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I wish she would retire, she looks a bloody state.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish she would retire, she looks a bloody state.

I believe she looks divine. She'd get it!

Anyway I suppose using fake guns is better than using real ones in her show. Someone could get hurt.
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the title I thought, oh come on stop criticising Madonna for everything. Many have used gun replicas on their shows.

but then I read the article and noticed the Colorado tragedy and I completely felt disgusted. Madonna should really have changed this part of the show. Madonna is a clever woman and she knew what she was doing as she has always been a controversial person, but sometimes she needs to stop this controversial act and put herself in people shoes. It's really sad to know that people who lost a loved one during the tragic Colorado shootings happened to be at Madonna's show.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna has never changed her show. Tbh I went to see the mdna tour and I didn't find it violent
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who ****ing cares? Seriously, don't people have more important things to get outraged about?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da3bool wrote: »
    When I read the title I thought, oh come on stop criticising Madonna for everything. Many have used gun replicas on their shows.

but then I read the article and noticed the Colorado tragedy and I completely felt disgusted. Madonna should really have changed this part of the show. Madonna is a clever woman and she knew what she was doing as she has always been a controversial person, but sometimes she needs to stop this controversial act and put herself in people shoes. It's really sad to know that people who lost a loved one during the tragic Colorado shootings happened to be at Madonna's show.

This would apply to ANYONE who lost a friend/relative to gun crime who went and saw her show.

As for the Colerado audience at her show- Perhaps looking at the gun laws in their own state would be a more effective way of responding to their tragedies than reacting to the pop show of an artist who's performed that exact same section on many occasions before.

As for changing her show... this is Madonna, are you kidding?? She has never responded to outsiders telling her to cut/change her show. She was doing this in 1990 when the Vatican were telling her to make alterations to her Blonde Ambiton tour.

I like how she was "daring" in her 20's/30's but now shes in her 50's shes just "desperate" Bit of ageism creeping in there? To me this is more of the same, no more, no less...
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    The part of Madonna's show where she uses the gun is in the song Bang Bang - shot you dead
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm not old, and this is maybe my 3rd post about Madonna here or anywhere.

I'm not singling out Madonna, just calling her out on something disrespectful, and that should be allowed. She could have and should have changed the gun part of the show to something less similar to the tragedy that happened in this town just mere months ago. "It's my show, who cares how it effects people" attitude is really inhumane.

Also, the article states, that many people at the concert were really shocked, and didn't feel good about it.

The show launched in Israel in May. Everyone who wanted to see this show knew what was contained in it. To claim to be shocked at a five minute segment that has been heavily publicised for 5 months is a little naive. Without the gun scene the song would not work. The song is about an abused woman at breaking point who shoots her lover in the head. What is she meant to improvise with? A banana? And it isn't just the song. It's the entire first act of her show. About a Girl Gone Wild. To replace the song would mean replacing the whole segment. Her shows are not just concerts but carefully thought out out segments. If anyone complaining had seen a Madonna show you would realise that it is impossible to change due to how the show is put together. Her shows are like mini musicals. Each segment tells a story.

And, it IS her show. It IS how Madonna works and it always has been. She cancelled a leg of the Blond Ambition tour in 1990 because the Canadian authorities ordered her to drop a rather sizzling Like A Virgin performance. She told the authorities that she was not going to drop any segment of her show as her fans were paying adults who deserved the credit for having intelligence for themselves as to what they did and didn't want to see.

Her fans recognise that aspect about her, and as a lifelong fan, I wouldn't want it any other way. Sure she's arrogant, sure she can be egotistical. But if I wanted to follow a delicate flower I would watch Celine Dion.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    This would apply to ANYONE who lost a friend/relative to gun crime who went and saw her show.

As for the Colerado audience at her show- Perhaps looking at the gun laws in their own state would be a more effective way of responding to their tragedies than reacting to the pop show of an artist who's performed that exact same section on many occasions before.

As for changing her show... this is Madonna, are you kidding?? She has never responded to outsiders telling her to cut/change her show. She was doing this in 1990 when the Vatican were telling her to make alterations to her Blonde Ambiton tour.

I like how she was "daring" in her 20's/30's but now shes in her 50's shes just "desperate" Bit of ageism creeping in there? To me this is more of the same, no more, no less...

I agree. In 1987 her Wembley concert happened the night of The Hungerford shootings. Did she drop "White Heat" from the set which featured a replica gun and her supposedly shooting her dancers? No. Of course not. Did people complain? I haven't a clue but unlikely!
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF the people of Colorado were "outraged" at a pop concert (and the source of this is the Daily Mail, so I'm happy to take it with a pinch of salt), surely it would make more sense for them to campaign against the right to bear arms - so that guns were less prevalent in their society? :D