XBox live security proofs - two required

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got a message on Xbox live saying I need to give two security proofs for my account.

Either 2 email addresses or email and telephone number.

Now this would bring the number of emails of mine Microsoft have up to 3...i.e. all the ones I have.

Or two email addresses...and my phone number...

How much more personal information do they want from us?

Anyone else think this is a bit of liberty?

Yes, it is for security but that amount of information?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean a 'message'? A private message?

Don't own an Xbox, but sounds like someone is phishing for information to me.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the same message sent to me whilst I was on Blops 2 last night.

Wasn't too sure what to make of it as it is a sudden thing, might need to do some digging through the Official MS forums and Twitter feeds to see what is going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a private message but it is legit as it takes you through your settings and profile to a page that makes you choose you security proofs.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/billing-and-subscriptions/account-security/security-proofs

People seem to have been getting them for a wee while...presumably Microsoft are phasing the messages to stop the system being swamped.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    How much more personal information do they want from us?

Anyone else think this is a bit of liberty?

Yes, it is for security but that amount of information?

Companies are finding that it's a huge problem for them to identify the genuine owner of accounts for services like Xbox LIVE.

A lot of people sign up for stuff like that and then never update their details or they use information that's inherently insecure.

In the event that you forget your password or your account is hacked, Microsoft needs to have as many options as possible to verify that it's you and to get your password reset.

The most secure method by far is using email or a text message to send you a code that can only be used once to verify your identity - hence the requirement for multiple email addresses and/or phone numbers.

These "secure proofs" are the only viable option to keep your account secure.

Many companies ask for information that's really easy to obtain.

BT recently had to change its systems because you could order BT services just by using someone's postcode and phone number.

Even if people know your phone number or email address, they would still need access to your phone to read the message sent by Microsoft.

In terms of privacy, Microsoft has realised that the cost of account hacking to them - in terms of both money and reputation, far outweighs the benefits of "misusing" the data.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I got this in message in October.

When you enter the contact information they will send a message to that e-mail / mobile number with a security code to enter into the 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as long as Microsoft don;t sell the emails/telephones on to others for marketing purposes etc...
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a message from ms when i went in to the settings the email address i had registered has not been in use for over 5 years.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They already had my phone number & I only use the live.co.uk email for xbox. It was no biggie really.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite glad about this, i set up my gold account after a few to many drinks at xmas and couldn't remember anything about the details i enetered!!!