Matt Smith- How much longer...

Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello. Long-time lurker, life-long fan here! Just wondering, and I know it's pure speculation at present, how much longer people think Matt will/should (not necessarily the same thing obviously!) remain as Doctor 11?

Personally, as I think he's been wonderful, I would love him to stay for series 8 and do four full series. I mean, if it was announced he'd signed for a couple more years all the better. :)

That's what me heart says. My brain suspects we'll have a new Doctor in 2014.

Of course that'll be exciting too, it's the beauty of this show, but I don't think he's even close to outstaying his welcome yet...

Comments

• rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i've said in another thread that he's close to the end of his tenure as the doctor,when that is i don't know but i do hope he stays for another full series as well,he's mad,eccentric,fun & weird..he's the doctor..IMO he's what the doctor should be.

if i had my way he would be around for a couple more years but i have a feeling at the end of series 8 he'll regenerate..
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as you really.

Would like him to stay for Series 8 (and beyond) but think it's quite likely he will go in the Christmas Special.

Maybe they could shake things up a bit and have him regenerate mid series 8.

Then again if Series 8 is a split series we'll get the whole "It's two separate series" thing again if each half has a different Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think that 2015 will be excellent to round off on...two more years of Matt would be ideal...the very fact with Clara and new arcs mixing it up and everything provides enough change...if that makes sense...so i get a feeling we will have series 8 in full with Matt to make 5 years and 4 full series then maybe half way in series 9 in 2015 we may see a shake up perhaps depending on what they want?
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was announced David Tennant would be doing Hamlet and it was looking likely he would be going lots of people aggressively telling me on here it was time for him to go, three years was enough for a Doctor and if I wanted him to stay I was being selfish to the show and DT so I apply the same principle to MS. Three series is enough for any Doctor and it would kill the show if he stayed because "it's all about change"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. Long-time lurker, life-long fan here! Just wondering, and I know it's pure speculation at present, how much longer people think Matt will/should (not necessarily the same thing obviously!) remain as Doctor 11?

Personally, as I think he's been wonderful, I would love him to stay for series 8 and do four full series. I mean, if it was announced he'd signed for a couple more years all the better. :)

That's what me heart says. My brain suspects we'll have a new Doctor in 2014.

Of course that'll be exciting too, it's the beauty of this show, but I don't think he's even close to outstaying his welcome yet...

When I first heard of the casting and the end of time ending how we were in for a treat in his first interview I was excited.

Now its 2013 and im fed up with him I will be happy when he goes as I feel either he was badly casted because in this day and age they wont give us a older doctor its always got to be about pleasing young girls or just bad writing.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved Matt, but I think I've detected a little bit less enthusiasm from him this series. (As I did with DT at times during the Specials). I daresay most people will disagree with me. :)

Anyway, nice though it's been to have him, I personally feel that he will leave at Christmas.

I don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows someone who knows Matt, btw - it's just my own personal feeling.

And, if I'm honest, I'd like Moffat to go too, so we get a complete change of direction. Again, not many will agree.

But, if they both stay, I'll be happy with that.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont like him as dr who at all, they need a new one asap
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I would like it if he stayed on until 2015, but realistically speaking that's probably wishful thinking.

My inkling is that he will stay on for series 8, then call it a day, but who knows?
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, when Matt goes, which I feel may be at the end of next year - a new Doctor/showrunner for 2015 would be best as Moff's take on the Doctor can't be bettered for me, but both will have done probably enough from both the acting and writing perspective by then. So a whole new start is probably in the show's best interests come 2015.

I agree somewhat his enthusiasm seems a little lacking in 7B for me, whatever the reason for that is, we don't know. He's still great, but not as good as he was in 7A, S5 or S6 for me.

Regardless though, I think leaving at the end of next year is his most realistic option and one that would be best for the show itself. If a new Doctor/Showrunner comes in in 2015, it'll have been five (ish) years for Matt and the Moff, which is great in my books.

All of this aside, he is my favourite Doctor, so I don't want him to leave just yet :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like it if he stayed on until 2015, but realistically speaking that's probably wishful thinking.

My inkling is that he will stay on for series 8, then call it a day, but who knows?

i feel he will leave at the end of the anniversery
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I'd like one more series from him but then I think it'll be time for a new doctor, although to be honest I don't think I could ever get bored of his Doctor, he has so many different sides and he portrays them all so well that he could play the doctor for years and I wouldn't mind.

Also, I'd like to see more of 11 and Clara together, Clara hasn't really been given much to do this series so I'd like to see more of her. JLC has great chemistry with Smith so I'd think another series with them and then maybe Clara can stay on with 12.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    For me, when Matt goes, which I feel may be at the end of next year - a new Doctor/showrunner for 2015 would be best as Moff's take on the Doctor can't be bettered for me, but both will have done probably enough from both the acting and writing perspective by then. So a whole new start is probably in the show's best interests come 2015.

I agree somewhat his enthusiasm seems a little lacking in 7B for me, whatever the reason for that is, we don't know. He's still great, but not as good as he was in 7A, S5 or S6 for me.

Regardless though, I think leaving at the end of next year is his most realistic option and one that would be best for the show itself. If a new Doctor/Showrunner comes in in 2015, it'll have been five (ish) years for Matt and the Moff, which is great in my books.

All of this aside, he is my favourite Doctor, so I don't want him to leave just yet :p

Same....i mean there is also the possibility Moff will stay on for series 8 and afer that a change in showrunner but Matt may still stay on?? who does indeed know...but i love that Matt is still branching out into other roles alongside him being the Doctor too! But I do still feel he loves the role...but the storylines have just had a different vibe from the Pond era by a landslide really its been a massive change up to adapt too...there is an element of dread in the air still...he plays it expertly well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I read elsewhere that Matt has a new haircut. Whether that is significant I don't know.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    i feel he will leave at the end of the anniversery

Sources say it's Christmas

It's pretty obvious he's leaving given the regeneration set is coming out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same....i mean there is also the possibility Moff will stay on for series 8 and afer that a change in showrunner but Matt may still stay on?? who does indeed know...but i love that Matt is still branching out into other roles alongside him being the Doctor too! But I do still feel he loves the role...but the storylines have just had a different vibe from the Pond era by a landslide really its been a massive change up to adapt too...there is an element of dread in the air still...he plays it expertly well!

ooh i dont know, im not a fan
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet he leaves after series 8, and Moffat will leave with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like him to stay for series 8, but I get the impression that shotting Who is taking a toll on him (he seems to have aged 10 years at least since he started), so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Christmas special/duirng series 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see him for at least Series 9. Moffat has said that Series 8 could be his last as showrunner, and while I love what he's done with Smith's Doctor, I want to see what someone else could do with him.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally I'd like a double change this Christmas - a new showrunner to replace Moffat and a new doctor. Of the two, I could more than live with Matt Smith staying longer as he's been a good doctor, but I think the scripts and overall direction of the show needs refreshing.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comparing Matt's tenure with David's -

Tennant: 4.5 years; three series and 47 episodes
    Smith: 3.11 years (up until December); three series and 44 episodes (including the Christmas special)

- I think his time is coming to it's natural end, and a Christmas regeneration is actually quite believable.

I can't believe how fast Matt's time has gone compared to David's though. I think it must be because now I'm older (I was 12 when David started and 16 when he left) and less mega enthusiastic about Who, although it's still my absolute favourite programme, the days between episodes no longer feels like weeks. The last 3.4 years have flown by!
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his song must end soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I think his song must end soon

And though this song is ending, the story never ends...
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like him as dr who at all, they need a new one asap

I thought he showed promise at first, but I am getting bored with his mumbling that suddenly turns into an arm flailing frenzy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm personally ready for a new Doctor and the sooner the better imo. Not that I dislike Matt at all (he's somewhere in the middle of all the Doctors), I'm just ready for something fresh and new...

But on the other hand I wouldn't be too annoyed if he stayed for another series either. But just the one mind. Anymore and we're heading 5 years+ and that's just too long.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Matt at first but he has grown on me and I now believe that he is one of the better doctors!

I would like him to stay at least for another series if not a few more.