Beginner: what is the Aerial In for on the back of the Sky+ box?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Forgive me, but I am new to this:

Why is there a Aerial In connection on the back of the Sky box? If I WAS to plug in an RF coaxial cable (from my analogue aerial), what would be the use of that? Would it let me watch analogue channels (BBC1 etc) through my Sky box somehow? If so, how? Please explain!

Thanks, and I anticipate a speedy reply!

Thanks again,

Shai

Comments

• paulmellerspaulmellers Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use mine for redistributing the analogue channels along with the sky channel up to the second location so i have a choice of the 12345 or whatevers on sky in the bedroom.
  • cowmancowman Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    It is called RF loop through and it means that you still have the use of analogue on your TV or video and as paulmellors states to feed other TVs in the house. Connrct the lead from you aerial to RF in and then a lead to aerial in of your video if you are using one from RF1 out and from video to TV. This set up means that you can video analogue whilst watching Sky, also you should use scart leads to connect digibox to both tv and video for the best picture. RF OUT 2 should be used to feed a 2nd TV or distribution box. It can supply power to operate TV Link, but lets walk before we run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    The Aerial in socket on the back of the box is where you plug your normal television aerial. This is done so that the sky box can 'add' it's signal to your normal television signal.
    By doing this, you can tune a channel on your TV or video into the Sky box which is ideal if you don't have a scart socket (although it's preferable to use the scart if possible which doesn't need tuning and has a much better picture!)

It also means that your aerial signal is fed as normal to your TV and video so you can tune them in as normal - you can then watch, say, BBC1 on analogue (aerial)(channel 1 on your TV) while recording a Sky channel on your video (or vice versus!).

The aerial in/out setup is also a really cheap way of distributing the outside aerial signal and the sky signal to other TV's - I have my Aerial going into my Sky Box then to my video downstairs then from my video to 3 TVs and 3 video's upstairs resulting in all TV's using the single outside aerial for channels 1-5 with Sky tuned in to channel 6 and the video on channel 7 on all tv's.

Perfect picture on all channels as well. The downside is that the sky box only outputs one signal so only 1 sky channel is seen around the house but the whole thing (cabling, connectors and clips) would probably only cost £4!

(Actually, thinking about it I have 4 TV's and 4 Videos connected! - Oh, and a DVD recorder.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Thanks you guys.

I want to use a tvLink. Do I HAVE TO have a cable from the digibox to my second tv? is there no way i can do it with wireless senders? i dont want a cable going right through my house!
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derrenfan wrote:
    Thanks you guys.

I want to use a tvLink. Do I HAVE TO have a cable from the digibox to my second tv? is there no way i can do it with wireless senders? i dont want a cable going right through my house!

Yes, you can use wireless senders. One advantage being that they transmit stereo sound (the RF cable will only be mono)