How to connect a SNES (super ninetendo) to a modern tv

lee_cheelee_chee Posts: 51
Forum Member
I have an HD tv and a super ninetendo and have a AV multiout cable with red, white and yellow cables as well as power supply but when i try to connect to tv doesnt work also the system has an RF cable out and i have RF cables but modern tv dont have the port to connect this

so how do i connect this console to my tv as tried everything

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Two things you can try:

1) Your Red/Yellow/White is composite. What are you connecting it to on the TV? If the TV has composite in in this form, it should work. Failing that, you could try a composite to SCART adapter such as this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4

2) RF is just a good old coax ariel connection. All modern flat panels still have them, although they are not as obvious as they used to be. Connected through that, it should be fine. You just need to tune the TV into the channel the SNES sends the signal to. (And some TV's will insist on you doing this on a certain channel I think? Usually channel 0.)

I had an N64 connected to a Sony flat panel using RF and it worked fine. Be prepared for a truly horrible looking picture compared to todays standards! Although original Super Mario Kart still plays brilliantly even if it looks rubbish. I run it through a SNES emulator on a modded original XBOX. I should never have sold my SNES ....
  • lee_cheelee_chee Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Two things you can try:

1) Your Red/Yellow/White is composite. What are you connecting it to on the TV? If the TV has composite in in this form, it should work. Failing that, you could try a composite to SCART adapter such as this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4

2) RF is just a good old coax ariel connection. All modern flat panels still have them, although they are not as obvious as they used to be. Connected through that, it should be fine. You just need to tune the TV into the channel the SNES sends the signal to. (And some TV's will insist on you doing this on a certain channel I think? Usually channel 0.)

I had an N64 connected to a Sony flat panel using RF and it worked fine. Be prepared for a truly horrible looking picture compared to todays standards! Although original Super Mario Kart still plays brilliantly even if it looks rubbish. I run it through a SNES emulator on a modded original XBOX. I should never have sold my SNES ....

i just have AV cables and RF cable is it possible to run both at the same time however tried to connect through AV via multi out but nothing happens
    I am connecting it throug the red white and yellow output but nothing happens i need help please
    Forum Member
    Are you connecting the r/w/y (composite) to a composite AV input on the TV (and then switching the input on the TV to the correct one .... obviously)?

Component looks very similar to composite but with two extra phono leads. If you connect it to component, it won't work.

You have RF. The TV will have an RF input. Try that. (Remember you need to tune it)
    Forum Member
    Are you connecting the r/w/y (composite) to a composite AV input on the TV (and then switching the input on the TV to the correct one .... obviously)?

Component looks very similar to composite but with two extra phono leads. If you connect it to component, it won't work.

You have RF. The TV will have an RF input. Try that. (Remember you need to tune it)

my tv doesnt have RF output just av output i am connected to r/w/y to a composite av input but no luck any help on this
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RF input, not output. And your TV will have one, otherwise it wouldn't be a TV.

RF input = aerial input.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Sancheez is saying. The AV leads you have coming from the SNES are:

RED - Audio Right Channel
    WHITE - Audio Left Channel
    YELLOW - Composite VIDEO signal

lee_chee wrote: »
    my tv doesnt have RF output just av output i am connected to r/w/y to a composite av input but no luck any help on this

Your TV may have appropriate looking connections on the back, but they could be 'component rgb' which is completely different (Those will be labelled R,G,B etc or 'component in'). Make sure that what you are connecting to is not 'component' - and make sure the YELLOW connector is in the yellow (video) socket.

If your TV has composite input, once connected you'll need to switch to it with your remote (make sure the Snes is on and a game is inserted so you'll see it), it's usually labelled 'input' 'ext' or 'A/V in' depending on the TV - you may have 2 or 3 inputs to go through, try them all. You won't see any signal from the AV input until you switch to it - the signal won't come up by changing channel.

It should have an RF (antenna) socket, which you could connect to and using an unused channel number on the TV, tune it until you see the signal.

You would only use one or the other connection, not both at the same time.
    Forum Member
    Sorry but ....

. . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    What Sancheez is saying. The AV leads you have coming from the SNES are:

RED - Audio Right Channel
    WHITE - Audio Left Channel
    YELLOW - Composite VIDEO signal

Your TV may have appropriate looking connections on the back, but they could be 'component rgb' which is completely different (Those will be labelled R,G,B etc or 'component in'). Make sure that what you are connecting to is not 'component' - and make sure the YELLOW connector is in the yellow (video) socket.

If your TV has composite input, once connected you'll need to switch to it with your remote (make sure the Snes is on and a game is inserted so you'll see it), it's usually labelled 'input' 'ext' or 'A/V in' depending on the TV - you may have 2 or 3 inputs to go through, try them all. You won't see any signal from the AV input until you switch to it - the signal won't come up by changing channel.

It should have an RF (antenna) socket, which you could connect to and using an unused channel number on the TV, tune it until you see the signal.

You would only use one or the other connection, not both at the same time.

my tv is wall mounted so unable to look back but it does have an red and yellow and black av leads and has AV converter but thats all but connected the multi out connector to tv but nothing tried all channels but no signal no picture no nothing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my tv is wall mounted so unable to look back but it does have an red and yellow and black av leads and has AV converter but thats all but connected the multi out connector to tv but nothing tried all channels but no signal no picture no nothing

Check your manual to see where the RF (antenna) input is located, if you don't have the manual try the manufacturer's website - they usually have pdf versions of their manuals you can download.

The RED, YELLOW and BLACK connections on the TV that you can see, what are they labelled as? Audio L/R and Video, AV in, or something else?

Was your yellow connector definitely connected to the yellow plug?

What do you mean 'AV Converter'? Are you talking about another device you are using?

You should be connecting your SNES cables directly to the TV's inputs, not using any other cables or boxes in between.

As said, when you connect anything to an external input (except RF), you have to then switch the TV to that input. Your remote will have an option to switch between all the external inputs, try them all.
    Changing channel will NOT let you see anything you have connected to your AV input. Changing channel only applies to signals coming through the RF (antenna) input.
    Forum Member
    Check your manual to see where the RF (antenna) input is located, if you don't have the manual try the manufacturer's website - they usually have pdf versions of their manuals you can download.

The RED, YELLOW and BLACK connections on the TV that you can see, what are they labelled as? Audio L/R and Video, AV in, or something else?

Was your yellow connector definitely connected to the yellow plug?

What do you mean 'AV Converter'? Are you talking about another device you are using?

You should be connecting your SNES cables directly to the TV's inputs, not using any other cables or boxes in between.

As said, when you connect anything to an external input (except RF), you have to then switch the TV to that input. Your remote will have an option to switch between all the external inputs, try them all.
    Changing channel will NOT let you see anything you have connected to your AV input. Changing channel only applies to signals coming through the RF (antenna) input.

i tried connecting red yellow and white cables to tv and nothing happens and tried switch to av channel and nothing the converter i am talking about is the 3 way connector points i have as the av cables are used to convert it
    the tv set is wall mounted so can connect
    the connector/converter works with my ps2 but not SNES why this
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I did this, I still had my old VCR.

I connected the SNES to VCR as normal, then connected the VCR to the TV via SCART.

Done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i tried connecting red yellow and white cables to tv and nothing happens and tried switch to av channel and nothing the converter i am talking about is the 3 way connector points i have as the av cables are used to convert it
    the tv set is wall mounted so can connect
    the connector/converter works with my ps2 but not SNES why this

Not a converter, you're just describing a lead with phono cables on it? Or are you saying you have a SCART plug with the three connections on it that you use for your PS2?
    Or when you say 'converter' are you meaning the connection points on the TV?

1) if it is a composite connection on the TV (Audio Left & Right, and Video), are you certain that the yellow cable was connected to the yellow plug?

2) is your PS2 cable the one that came with the ps2? Or is it a COMPONENT RGB cable? If the connection on your TV is 'component rgb' the SNES will not work on that.

What is the connection on the TV labelled as, and are you connecting the SNES to it directly, using ONLY the SNES AV lead?
    Forum Member
    Not a converter, you're just describing a lead with phono cables on it? Or are you saying you have a SCART plug with the three connections on it that you use for your PS2?

1) if it is a composite connection on the TV, are you certain that the yellow cable was connected to the yellow plug?

2) is your PS2 cable the one that came with the ps2? Or is it a COMPONENT RGB cable? If the connection on your TV is 'component rgb' the SNES will not work on that.

What is the connection on the TV labelled as, and are you connecting the SNES to it directly, using ONLY the SNES AV lead?

yes its phone cable since it has 3 ports on them and my ps2 cable is the one that came with it

the tv has av cable that is plugged in one end and the other end has red yellow and black av cable also connecting the AV lead via the phone cable since i cant reach the back as the tv is wall mounted

the ps2 cable connected to phono cable works but snes not why is this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes its phone cable since it has 3 ports on them and my ps2 cable is the one that came with it

the tv has av cable that is plugged in one end and the other end has red yellow and black av cable also connecting the AV lead via the phone cable since i cant reach the back as the tv is wall mounted

the ps2 cable connected to phono cable works but snes not why is this

OK, if it's the cable that came with your PS2 then it's definitely 'composite' video connection.

There's a few things you could try, with the SNES av cable, just use the YELLOW plug - this is the one with the video signal. Turn the volume right down on the TV, and do whatever you normally do to see your PS2's signal.

Now, try the yellow cable for a short time in each of the 3 connections, it's possible they are in the wrong sockets or just wrongly coloured, and the video signal might be on one of the other two.

If you try all three connections with the YELLOW lead from the SNES and get no image, then it may be that your SNES cable (or the SNES itself) is not functioning correctly.

Try a different game cartridge, in case it's just the game you have inserted that is causing no signal.

You could test whether the game is actually running by plugging the red & white (audio) leads into an amplifier or other audio device, to see if you hear music and sounds.

It would be a good idea to try it on another TV to see if it's working, maybe bring it with it's AV cable (just THAT cable) to a friend to see if it works on their set.

It should work on the same connections that a PS2 (composite) AV cable was working on.
    Forum Member
    OK, if it's the cable that came with your PS2 then it's definitely 'composite' video connection.

There's a few things you could try, with the SNES av cable, just use the YELLOW plug - this is the one with the video signal. Turn the volume right down on the TV, and do whatever you normally do to see your PS2's signal.

Now, try the yellow cable for a short time in each of the 3 connections, it's possible they are in the wrong sockets or just wrongly coloured, and the video signal might be on one of the other two.

If you try all three connections with the YELLOW lead from the SNES and get no image, then it may be that your SNES cable (or the SNES itself) is not functioning correctly.

Try a different game cartridge, in case it's just the game you have inserted that is causing no signal.

You could test whether the game is actually running by plugging the red & white (audio) leads into an amplifier or other audio device, to see if you hear music and sounds.

It would be a good idea to try it on another TV to see if it's working, maybe bring it with it's AV cable (just THAT cable) to a friend to see if it works on their set.

It should work on the same connections that a PS2 (composite) AV cable was working on.

the ps2 cables work on the phono 3 cable since the av tv cable has red white and black and ps2 has red white and yellow and when connected on the phono cable on scart output is works but on snes cabel nothing happens
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ps2 cables work on the phono 3 cable since the av tv cable has red white and black and ps2 has red white and yellow and when connected on the phono cable on scart output is works but on snes cabel nothing happens

Sorry, what is the SCART connector you're talking about now?

Are you connecting the SNES AV cable (red,white and yellow ends) DIRECTLY to the TV or not?

Are you saying that you have a SCART connection on the TV and are using a SCART adaptor to connect the PS2's AV cable to it? If so it should work for ANY composite video signal correctly attached.

If it's NOT the scart adapter that came with the PS2 cable, check if it has an input/output switch on it - some do - and whatever position the switch is in, try it in the other setting.

I interpreted your previous post as saying that you have n extension cable (3 phono) coming from the back of your TV, and that you have connected your PS2's AV cable to THAT and it worked, but when you connect the same SNES cable to it it fails?

Remember OUTPUT = a signal comes FROM there
    INPUT = your signal goes IN there

I would suggest you confirm that your SNES is working by trying it on another TV, and don't use ANY additional adapters or converters, connect your snes av lead directly to the matching input if possible.

Also try what I suggested previously above about trying the YELLOW cable from the snes in each connection point - it's the YELLOW connector that has the VIDEO signal - if for some reason that particlar connector is in the wrong socket, you will not get a picture, so for all your experimenting forget the white and red leads - they are audio only, work with the yellow until you get it working.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, what is the SCART connector you're talking about now?

Are you connecting the SNES AV cable (red,white and yellow ends) DIRECTLY to the TV or not?

Are you saying that you have a SCART connection on the TV and are using a SCART adaptor to connect the PS2's AV cable to it? If so it should work for ANY composite video signal correctly attached.

If it's NOT the scart adapter that came with the PS2 cable, check if it has an input/output switch on it - some do - and whatever position the switch is in, try it in the other setting.

I interpreted your previous post as saying that you have n extension cable (3 phono) coming from the back of your TV, and that you have connected your PS2's AV cable to THAT and it worked, but when you connect the same SNES cable to it it fails?

Remember OUTPUT = a signal comes FROM there
    INPUT = your signal goes IN there

I would suggest you confirm that your SNES is working by trying it on another TV, and don't use ANY additional adapters or converters, connect your snes av lead directly to the matching input if possible.

Also try what I suggested previously above about trying the YELLOW cable from the snes in each connection point - it's the YELLOW connector that has the VIDEO signal - if for some reason that particlar connector is in the wrong socket, you will not get a picture, so for all your experimenting forget the white and red leads - they are audio only, work with the yellow until you get it working.

i have a scart connecto with red and yellow and white output and has input and output switch which one do switch to when tv is on
    just tried both connecting the wires directly and connecting the scart av cable but no luck no picture
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a scart connecto with red and yellow and white output and has input and output switch which one do switch to when tv is on

Remember, those are INPUTs not outputs (output is a connection where a signal comes from, input is where you SEND a signal to)

This is not the Scart adapter that came with the PS2, it's a third-party one - the switch on it changes the connections from INPUT (sending a signal into the scart) to OUTPUT (taking a signal OUT of the scart).

You want the switch to be on INPUT - but if it doesn't work, try it on OUTPUT instead, see what happens.

Try a different cartridge in the Snes, and do the same again, try the scart adapter in both settings.
    If the game cartridge is not working, that is one possible reason there is no picture.

When did you last use your PS2 with it? Try it again if you can to see if the scart adapter is still working. Whatever setting the switch is at when your PS2 works should work with the Snes too.

If you try your PS2 on it and it works, and you have the Snes yellow cable on the correct connection, then it's time to start thinking that either your Snes, or the Snes av cable is not working.

If it still doesn't work, your best option is to test your SNES on another TV, with AND without the scart adapter to check if that is at fault, or your cable.
    Most modern TVs will have composite AV input on them (the same connections on the back of the scart adapter).
    Forum Member
    Remember, those are INPUTs not outputs (output is a connection where a signal comes from, input is where you SEND a signal to)

This is not the Scart adapter that came with the PS2, it's a third-party one - the switch on it changes the connections from INPUT (sending a signal into the scart) to OUTPUT (taking a signal OUT of the scart).

You want the switch to be on INPUT - but if it doesn't work, try it on OUTPUT instead, see what happens.

Try a different cartridge in the Snes, and do the same again, try the scart adapter in both settings.
    If the game cartridge is not working, that is one possible reason there is no picture.

When did you last use your PS2 with it? Try it again if you can to see if the scart adapter is still working. Whatever setting the switch is at when your PS2 works should work with the Snes too.

If you try your PS2 on it and it works, and you have the Snes yellow cable on the correct connection, then it's time to start thinking that either your Snes, or the Snes av cable is not working.

If it still doesn't work, your best option is to test your SNES on another TV, with AND without the scart adapter to check if that is at fault, or your cable.
    Most modern TVs will have composite AV input on them (the same connections on the back of the scart adapter).

i tried everything from using scart adpater swicthign input and out put and even connecting av cables directly no picture same with another tv no difference
    the av cable should work dont know why though
    Forum Member
    got it to work fine now the AV cable is strange first i got no picture then after reset a few times i got picture but no sound and after adjusting cables finally got sound so now got it work finally 90;s classic goodness back
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but ....

. . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Well..... Yolo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got it to work fine now the AV cable is strange first i got no picture then after reset a few times i got picture but no sound and after adjusting cables finally got sound so now got it work finally 90;s classic goodness back

Phew! Glad that it all ended well ;)
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread of the year. After all that it was dodgy cabling.