Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Wench02 wrote: »
    As I re-watched the first series, I felt that there was a bit more time spent on the "personal" bit of each character, ie there was more set in the police station/out policing in the second series.

However if you re-look at series 1, I think they have tried to portray a "relationship" between Richard and Camille, especially in the episode where he gets flu. Camille's mother had certainly cottoned on that he fancied a bit of her daughter.

As for switching episodes? Who knows? Maybe there was something in the news at the time that caused it?

As for an ending to series three. I hope they do something a bit similar to series two, they have left it open for another series, but if it didn't get commissioned, it still worked as an ending!

Yeah - I remember watching the whole chicken soup thing and seeing her dig for info (but unfortunately not in the plant pot for discarded soup).
    Although sometimes I found the S1 episodes a little disjointed - so I have to wonder if the order was futzed around there too,

I am racking my brains to think of what might have happened in January to switch the episodes... but coming up blank.

Alas I am going to miss my fix tonight - tennis writing and a very hurriedly put together Betting Outrights preview... I am trawling very unethusiastically through a dictaphone and screen recording just now which means NO Saint Marie on in the back ground. Meh!
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe something in France? Or they could have just decided to swap the episodes around as they thought it would be better?

How do you envisage the story lines going in series 3?
    Forum Member
    Maybe something in France? Or they could have just decided to swap the episodes around as they thought it would be better?

How do you envisage the story lines going in series 3?

ahhh yes - I keep forgetting that this is a joint French/UK venture - so that would make sense then!

My gut feel (otherwise known as... if I'd become a screen writer rather than a freelance journo...!)...

I would say an old flame of Richard's makes an appearance briefly
    I would have Camille probably involved with someone who turns out to be a bad'un (not unlike the whole Irish dude thing in S1)
    I'd probably chuck in some kind of calamity that forces them to re-evaluate how they feel.... haha an explosion in a rum factory or something!
    Conclude with one of them having to make a tough decision in order for them to have a chance to stay together....

That gives 4 filler murder-of-the-week style stuff for lighter stuff with the others as it is a good ensemble and it would be a mistake (imho) to put them on the periphery... they work well as a team so there has to be a bit of a mix in there of formulaic fluff and story-arc substance...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough descion.... Easy Richard has to stay in Saint Marie permenantly...

I was editor of my school newspaper (a real one that got delivered with the local newspaper), that almost must put us on the same wavelength.

Would an old flame of Richards really work? After that horrid bent copper told us he had never been spotted with a woman?
    Forum Member
    Well the horrid copper was goading him, and I fgind it hard to believe he's never been out with anyone before - maybe not a long term relationship!

So long as it's not his murder mystery stalker!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would be the murder mystery stalker.

What would be quite funny would be the look on evil coppers face as Richard and Camille get married!
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would be the murder mystery stalker.

What would be quite funny would be the look on evil coppers face as Richard and Camille get married!

Funnily enough I just watched the Doug Anderson one back just now...

Still think that Richard will be paired temporarily with someone - either from his past, or like you said, another "English Rose" type (which thinking about it now may be more likely as the total antithesis to Camille... which actually makes MUCH more sense than a random old flame/contact....)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Well the horrid copper was goading him, and I fgind it hard to believe he's never been out with anyone before - maybe not a long term relationship!

I don't find it hard to believe at all. He's such a buttoned-up guy, I think he might admire from afar but never get the nerve to speak. I think it'd be quite credible if he's never been out with anyone before.
    Forum Member
    I don't find it hard to believe at all. He's such a buttoned-up guy, I think he might admire from afar but never get the nerve to speak. I think it'd be quite credible if he's never been out with anyone before.

Well I think, then... he's in need of some action in Series 3... prepare for cringingly awful human contact!!!!

I watched the eppy back where he was trying to be supportive to Camille after Amy dies. I think (during the dog story) I was literally hiding under the desk!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some interesting points in both series re Richard and women (excluding Camille). In the first episode he appears quite taken with Lilly. Even though she's from Saint Marie, she's a bit more "English" than Camille, and appears very keen and good at her job.

In the episode where the wife thinks she has killed her husband, he seems very taken with the wife ("English Rose") type, and almost seems to let go around her a little bit.

He was also rather keen on oggling the blonde bird in the treasure hunting episode in series 2, and was rather uncomfy in the spa episode where there were loads of women wandering around half naked.

So, I would say, given his age, he will have had some action at some point, but possibly not very much, either that or he has been badly hurt in the past, and doesn't feel that it's worth bothering with again (know that feeling!).

His best bet of credability with a woman (apart from Camille), would be someone very similar to the killer wife that didnt kill. Shy and retiring type with rather good manners, and a sort that "needs" a man to bring her character out. Richard seems to be able to interact better with a woman of this sort of nature, rather than someone like Camille.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OR... maybe... what about IF:

An old flame of Richard's does actually appear on the island. However she is a proper "English Rose" sort, but she did the dirty on him with someone that's the total opposite of Richard - ie a risk taker, someone who drifts from one problem to the next, and leaves his woman hanging. So you would get Richard that had been dumped as the nice guy, for the bad boy.

This could lead to some interesting personal conversation, which would give us more insight in to Richard's previous life. Ie woman would say I made a massive mistake Richard, your the only man I have ever really loved etc

It would then quite possibly leave Richard rather shaken up that a woman that he adored (and then was badly hurt by) has turned up, trying to ensnare him. No doubt this would lead to a conversation with Camille. Camiile would notice said woman hanging around all the time, and that Richard would be out of sorts, and she would want to know why. After the university scene in the second series, Richard does seem a bit more willing to talk to Camille, so he would probably give her a bit more info than he would have done previously. At some point Camille's claws would come out, and tell English girl some home truths.

Whilst it wouldn't be a plot to get Richard and Camille together, it would help to develop the characters, and the "relationship" between Richard and Camille.

Unless of course English girl turned up, and Richard decided to leave for England with her/get married, and then Camille would confess all. However I dont think that would be in Richard's character, and it wouldnt really go with the rest of the scriptwriting.
    Forum Member
    It's kind of a shame they called up Miranda Raison so soon... she'd have been a perfect foil to Camille.
    Forum Member
    @Wench - yes - quite plausible for an old-flame scenario... and it does totally crack me up when Camille gets all jealous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs an actress able to play a similar role. Of course they could bring that actress back as a "new" love interest, but I would prefer to see a different actress as an old flame type.

Can just imagine Richard spending some time with old flame in Camille's mothers bar. Camille sulking in the corner.... glaring at English girl. Her mother coming to talk to her, and Camille flouncing off in a grumpy. Later on in the episode Camille finally confessing to her mother that she likes Richard, and mother telling her that Richard actually likes her. Camille then comes out with... "But he's with that.... that English girl over there!" Cue more flouncing, grumps, claws and sulks.

Dwayne would probably dish out some advice to Richard about Camille: "Come on chief. We know you like her. You know you like her. Why don't you take her out on a date. It might stop her being so grumpy."

Also to BBC employers... if you would like a new scriptwriter for DIP.... I'm your man (or woman!)
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I understood the episode with the bad cop from the UK, Richard had never had a girlfriend. That's part of how the other cop got at him. If it wasn't true, it wouldn't have bothered Richard, but the truth could hurt him.

Someone earlier (sorry i can't check back easily to give credit where it is due) said that Richard would never get involved with Camille simply because they work together, and he is her boss. He would see that as being totally unacceptable, and so he would never consider it. I'd never thought about that before, but I think it could be a sticking point. Or, of course, ultimately a plot device to add even more difficulty to them developing a relationship, and something else to overcome. If so, how would they get round it (in the final episode)? Richard jacks in his job and becomes a beach bum? Camille jacks it in and becomes a waitress in her mum's cafe? Can't see either of them leaving the police.
    Forum Member
    Well it was as far as he could recall - and he had only come along a few years or so after Richard had established himself in the team... so it is possible I suppose that something happened before hand. Then again... !!!

And stories about dead dogs aside - he does seem semi-capable of talking about feelings (albeit only just!).

I do agree I can't see either of them leaving the force... but then things seem so laid back on Saint-Marie that maybe relationships between co-workers wouldn't be an issue.
    And it is a perfect, ready-made plot device to keep the "do-they, don't they" going, rather than the "will-they, won't they" ... subtle difference between the two and maybe they need to resolve the first part before getting to the second!

And also - from Richard's arc - it's one more step to embracing the more casual laid back life.
    Then again... he has to stop wearing a damn tie and suit looooooooong before we get to relationships with sub-ordinates!!!!

BTW - I didn't imagine it... he HAS taken off his tie before now (at home, mind you)... so there is SOME hope for him to loosen up!. Some. Slim. Hope!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the police seem quite happy to drink on duty, so I cant really see it being a problem two of the shagging each other.

It would be interesting to watch the horrid copper scene again, and see what was actually said. I did know there was a comment in there about him never being married.
    Forum Member
    LOL - yes very true... drinks all afternoon after solving murders does seem to be the order of the day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of plot line... I want the next series now :(
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Miller is leaving! :( RT @bbcpress: Kris Marshall joins cast of hit drama Death In Paradise http://t.co/5EjIXwGo2V
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Ben Miller is leaving! :( RT @bbcpress: Kris Marshall joins cast of hit drama Death In Paradise http://t.co/5EjIXwGo2V

As soon as Ben Miller leaves, that's me done with it then. I couldn't see anyone else as the lead in DiP, but Kris Marshall is a really awful choice imo:(
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    BinCat wrote: »
    As soon as Ben Miller leaves, that's me done with it then. I couldn't see anyone else as the lead in DiP, but Kris Marshall is a really awful choice imo:(

It's terrible news that Ben Miller is leaving. I'm a big fan and he is absolutely great in the part. :(

But I actually like Kris Marshall (not as much as Ben Miller, obviously :D), and I'll be intrigued to see how the series goes with him in it. TBH I can't see it being as popular, though - but we'll see.

I presume Sara Martins is staying, so that's that for the romance angle.

Anyone want to by a second hand pitchfork - unused? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe they have done this...

I was only thinking after watching Jonathan Creek how badly it's gone down the pan after Maddie left... but there I was thinking, I'm looking forward to watching next series of DiP.

I can understand if Ben Miller didn't want to do any more series, but in that case, why just not film series three and leave it at that. After all, there wont be an awful lot more milage in it after that.

Hugely disappointed in you BBC.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    That is a shame, though IIRC Ben was pretty unsure about series 2 so I suppose it's not so surprising. Not sure about Kris, he was awful in Lightfields
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just died a little bit inside.
    Is it wrong for a grown man to cry?