Mysterious MS Points added to my account..

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
So I log into my XBL account today and see that I have over 1600 MSP added to my account since last night. Does anyone know how this might of happened? Everything is password protected and I'm the only user who can add points, yet no transaction is showing on my bank account. Could it be a mistake perhaps and I'm just lucky? I am a member of the rewards scheme but I haven't earned that much lol. I am due some points from MS for the Summer of Arcade promotion for buying three games but that is supposed to be only 400 MSP. Could it even mean something more sinister? My account is well protected. Cheers guys.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I log into my XBL account today and see that I have over 1600 MSP added to my account since last night. Does anyone know how this might of happened? Everything is password protected and I'm the only user who can add points, yet no transaction is showing on my bank account. Could it be a mistake perhaps and I'm just lucky? I am a member of the rewards scheme but I haven't earned that much lol. I am due some points from MS for the Summer of Arcade promotion for buying three games but that is supposed to be only 400 MSP. Could it even mean something more sinister? My account is well protected. Cheers guys.

2d, i wouldnt spend them, just see what happens, they could disappear
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    ok, any idea what you think it might be? If it was maybe a mistake wouldn't it be better to spend them hehe
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, any idea what you think it might be? If it was maybe a mistake wouldn't it be better to spend them hehe

have you lost a tooth recently?? ;)
    Forum Member
    I actually thought perhaps MS had rewarded me for the amount of pro-360 fanboy propaganda I spread across the interwebs. ;)
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look at your purchase history, do not spend them & ask in the support forums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you've been hacked sonny jim.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Someone on the ps forums had a similar problem to you a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1724741
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's something i've often wondered about- how safe is your xbox online? Such a big deal is made out of securing your pc but what about the bank details an x box holds? For years i just bought the live vouchers, until they ran out one night during a session so i enetered my details to pay by DD. I kinda regret it now cos i have a feeling that when i want to cancel my subscription, microsoft aint gonna make it easy..
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    you've been hacked sonny jim.

Yeah but that doesn't quite add up as I still have full access to my account, no warning message telling me the last time I signed in was on another console (which is what happens) and even though I do have my card details tied to my account the MSP didn't come from that so it's nice present from a "hacker". It just can't happen, the only way you will get hacked is if you have a stupid password and don't have the security options set.

I don't think you can gift MSP to people, unless I'm mistaken but that appears to be the way I've received them, perhaps a mistake with the 400 MSP deal.

I'll wait for a bit and see what happens, thanks guys for your input.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Yeah but that doesn't quite add up as I still have full access to my account, no warning message telling me the last time I signed in was on another console (which is what happens) and even though I do have my card details tied to my account the MSP didn't come from that so it's nice present from a "hacker". It just can't happen, the only way you will get hacked is if you have a stupid password and don't have the security options set.

I don't think you can gift MSP to people, unless I'm mistaken but that appears to be the way I've received them, perhaps a mistake with the 400 MSP deal.

I'll wait for a bit and see what happens, thanks guys for your input.

I remember a people getting "free" points before from MS. It was an error on their part and they took them back, but for some people they took the original points too.
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    That's something i've often wondered about- how safe is your xbox online? Such a big deal is made out of securing your pc but what about the bank details an x box holds? For years i just bought the live vouchers, until they ran out one night during a session so i enetered my details to pay by DD. I kinda regret it now cos i have a feeling that when i want to cancel my subscription, microsoft aint gonna make it easy..

Don't worry XBL is fully secure as are your card details so long as you have a good password and the security options set in place.

It's very easy to remove your card details from the Xbox, if you are paying DD for the Gold sub you can deactivate your auto renewal from Xbox.com under My Account.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Peace Walker has recently been taken off the Store, did you buy that? If so you might want to check that.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry XBL is fully secure as are your card details so long as you have a good password and the security options set in place.

It's very easy to remove your card details from the Xbox, if you are paying DD for the Gold sub you can deactivate your auto renewal from Xbox.com under My Account.

Cheers for that. I'd assumed that in deactivating my gold account, microsoft would have me phoning helplines and jumping through all kinds of hoops! Never even occured to me that it'd be straight forward.
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Peace Walker has recently been taken off the Store, did you buy that? If so you might want to check that.

No I didn't (have HD collection if you remember) but that might of made sense if I had. What I'm gonna do is leave it for a few days and if they don't take it back then I'll assume they're mine.
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I'd assumed that in deactivating my gold account, microsoft would have me phoning helplines and jumping through all kinds of hoops! Never even occured to me that it'd be straight forward.

Well the reason you maybe thought that was because they did used to make you jump through hoops to deactivate by calling the helpline, had to do it myself and it was a right pain. About two years ago they allowed us to cancel via the website due to complaints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    When I got my rewards last month I was entitled to 160msp, they actually gave me 320msp though, I knew this was wrong so didn't spend them. A few days later they took back the extra 160msp.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Why are half the posts missing?

Sure there was another page.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always been one page.
    Forum Member
    When I got my rewards last month I was entitled to 160msp, they actually gave me 320msp though, I knew this was wrong so didn't spend them. A few days later they took back the extra 160msp.

Sound like I better spend them quick then. Shame Joe Danger 2 wasn't released today instead of Friday or better yet Jet Set Radio HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're mine m8 lol hand them back will ya lol. I'm sure something like this has happened before on XBL. Someone else mentioned it on these forums and MS took them back (those that hadn't spent them). It was some type of computer error :) and as far as I know. Only the USA can gift MS points (if that still exists, I dont know) but it can't be done in the UK
    Forum Member
    They're mine m8 lol hand them back will ya lol. I'm sure something like this has happened before on XBL. Someone else mentioned it on these forums and MS took them back (those that hadn't spent them). It was some type of computer error :) and as far as I know. Only the USA can gift MS points (if that still exists, I dont know) but it can't be done in the UK

Yep, better spend them quick then. Mark of the Ninja a good game? I quite liked the demo. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's a good game m8. I recommend it :)
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's a good game m8. I recommend it :)

I went for it then, I get a feeling I'll thank you for that. I was considering Double Dragon Neon until I played it, I did think it looked a bit iffy in previews but it's one of the worst beat 'em ups I think I've played, what could of been an awesome remake has turned out out to be complete junk. :o
  • ExoPaulExoPaul Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I received a load of MP about 3 weeks ago too. I purchased some for L4D2 and BF3 DLC and then a few days later my balance went back up about 400MP or so.
    I do know they offer monthly rewards which you can check here http://rewards.xbox.com/ (right hand sidebar). And they offer VIP rewards for Gold members here http://rewards.xbox.com/earn/

This month they are rewarding you with 300MP to your balance if you spend 2,000MP on Horror content.
    For me I just presume they must have had an offer of X amount of MP rewarded for spending 2,000 of MP on the type of content I paid for in August.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Not safe at all. If you wanted to, you can gain access to someones Xbox account by simply making a few calls. Word