iPhone 6 and iOS 7 reportedly in development, expected to release in mid-2013

tohapplytohapply Posts: 30
Forum Member
The report comes from The Next Web which claims a developer has showed the site that Apple has been "testing hardware relating to a new 'iPhone6,2' identifier." The report also claims the device was powered with an iOS 7 operating system and is expected to release in mid-2013.

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    tohapply wrote: »
    The report comes from The Next Web which claims a developer has showed the site that Apple has been "testing hardware relating to a new 'iPhone6,2' identifier." The report also claims the device was powered with an iOS 7 operating system and is expected to release in mid-2013.

It would be news if they were *not* in development
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,813
    Forum Member
    Just I'm time for my contract to end. Goodie.
  • BrightSparksBrightSparks Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt there will be a 6 this year, The 5's is supposed to out in the mid year, So a 6 is highly unlikely cos they will want to shift the 5's for 6months or so
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    It would be news if they were *not* in development

Yup. Tech company in "creating new product shocker, more in the news on the hour"

They will have been working on something since before the 5 was released. This is definitely not news.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow and i thought they were just sat doing bugger all since the release of 5.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tohapply wrote: »

There is the annual 'iPhone Mini' rumour going around again too. But now they have released an iPad Mini, it may possibly be true.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57562025-37/apple-could-launch-iphone-mini-next-year-analyst-says/
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess would be next iOS announcement at WWDC, release of update to iOS for existing devices and new phone in the Autumn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    How fast! I feel Apple should at least let iphone5 users enjoy their phone!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple will release the 7th iPhone this year. Apple will release a new version of iOS as well. Unless there are leaked pictures and specs I don't see the point of a thread. Mind you, put a picture of the iPhone 5 on here and say it is the 5S and you would be on the money, imo. And say the new processor is 50% quicker. That is the, very sucessful, Apple way.

I don't get the iPhone mini roumours. You can get a iPhone 4 - why would there be any need to release a phone with lower specs than this?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt an iPhone 6 will be out this year, my guess would be 2014.

They will likely just do a minor spec update and call it the iPhone 5S.

I guess they will call their OS update iOS7 even though they only add a handful of useful features, and still play catchup to Android.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    :eek: I've just heard that google are working on the next version of android. the one after 4.2 and samsung are working on a phone that is not currently on sale, but will be at some point in the future.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple were developing the iPhone 5 in 2007.....

Well, lets face it, the features that they use now were pretty much available then and many other phones had them already ;-)
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How fast! I feel Apple should at least let iphone5 users enjoy their phone!

It's 1 new phone per year. That's quite a bit less than most other companies.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this is true, releasing 1 new handset every year will not be a good business model going forward. Didn't samsung release over 20 new handsets last year? As well as various tablets and phablets?

As other companies have expanded in markets apple pretty much had to themselves Apple will need to offer more products in various price ranges. I would like to see apple offering maybe 5 handsets from £99 through to £599. Not quite like Samsung and cover £29 through to £600 but definately more phones in the range.

Not everyone wants products with samsungs budget image.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    :eek: I've just heard that google are working on the next version of android. the one after 4.2 and samsung are working on a phone that is not currently on sale, but will be at some point in the future.

Google have devices running key lime pie in beta, some users are still on 2.3 lol
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Not everyone wants products with samsungs budget image.

Lol. What a load of rubbish.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,813
    Forum Member
    Apple will need to offer more products in various price ranges.

You can still buy iPhone 4 & 4S.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Lol. What a load of rubbish.

He gets worse by the day! Haha!!
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Google have devices running key lime pie in beta, some users are still on 2.3 lol

And the blame for that goes to?

Clue, its not Google.

Put it this way, my cheapo phone is an SE X8. There is no way I would put JB on that especially given that it has locked bootloaders, minimal RAM and pitiful internal storage. Its on 2.3.6 and is smooth as can possibly be on such minimal hardware.

Still, if you want to laugh at Google then knock yerself out.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Some users bought budget phones that wouldnt expect to be updated ..... its all very well providing yearly (albeit very cut down) software updates to your small number of over-priced handsets - particularly when they all run on outdated tech and the OS isnt very complex anyway :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Some users bought budget phones that wouldnt expect to be updated ..... its all very well providing yearly (albeit very cut down) software updates to your small number of over-priced handsets - particularly when they all run on outdated tech and the OS isnt very complex anyway :D

With android you can buy cheap devices, so they can't update them all to the latest OS. Apple though stop people with iPhone 4 getting things like Siri.
  • Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Didn't samsung release over 20 new handsets last year? As well as various tablets and phablets?

What on earth is a phablet?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    What on earth is a phablet?

Phone/tablet. Phablet!
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A phablet is things like the Galaxy Note. Something horrendous to look at, 2 inches too big to be a phone and 2 inches too small to be a tablet.
  • Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    A phablet is things like the Galaxy Note. Something horrendous to look at, 2 inches too big to be a phone and 2 inches too small to be a tablet.

Ah yes....I know the ones :D