Richard Griffiths dies aged 65

13»

Comments

• lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    Haha.
    My favourite: "sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall and we shall be forced to camp." I use now & then.

RIP.

My favourite too!

Fabulous actor. RIP
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P Richard 'Insp Crabbe' Griffiths such a great actor:cry:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n-night Dickie!:):)x
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was one of these actors who just about everyone has seen in one of his roles, whether it be Pie in the Sky, Naked Gun, Withnail and I, Harry Potter, The History Boys or one of the many other roles he played.

A real loss.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waz101 wrote: »
    But unfortunately it's about par for the course if you have a very high BMI. My Father who was 19 stone died at 63 and my Uncle who was 22 stone died last week aged 70. Very few overweight older men live to 80 in good health (Marlon Brando being an exception).

Sorry, think I brought up the weight thing when someone mentioned that 65 was terribly young.

Having lost my Father and recently Uncle due to obesity it really strikes a chord with me (I have to constantly watch my own diet and can only consume around 1400 calories a day before I start to gain weight, bad genetics).

Richard Griffiths must have been in pretty poor health for a surgeon willing to operate with such a high BMI anyway

In fact my heart consultant has said that I'll probably live longer than my Father with my current 30 a day smoking habit at eleven and a half stone and six feet tall than if I got fat.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a valid point but my Dad who was a skinny man died at 70 from a heart condition. Weight's a factor but not the only one. There are surprisingly health over weight people and very unhealthy slender people.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to hear of Richards sudden death... A fantastic actor with true comic ability that not many are naturally capable of
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such a loss. He was a great actor, and even more than that a great man.

RIP, Richard. :(
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. :(

I remember him in a very funny sitcom with Frances de la Tour some years ago, but can't think of the name.

Interesting piece here about his early life. A tribute to the man that he could overcome such a dreadful childhood to become one of our best actors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2301392/Brutal-childhood-haunted-Richard-Griffiths-star-giant-sized-talent.html

RIP Richard.
  • LibrarywitchLibrarywitch Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Not that it matters as his weight is no one else's business but Richard was overweight due to damage to his pituitary gland caused by being given radiation therapy as a child to make him put on weight as he was very underweight as a child. The damage meant it was extremely difficult to lose weight. He was apparently quite a light eater.

RIP Richard, thanks for creating some wonderful performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I was so sad to hear of Richard's passing - such a naturally gifted actor.

RIP Richard.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welsh_El wrote: »
    So sad to hear about Richard Griffith's death.... I was a massive pie in the sky fan

I loved him in Pie in the Sky. Such a gentle Police drama.

The secret was in the pastry.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news :( R.I.P Richard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I will always remember him as "Dunc" in King Ralph. A kindly sweet man.
    What a sad loss, he went far too soon, Many condolences to his family and friends.