Food Prices In London

2»

Comments

• malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Not here. Most places will charge £18-£22 for fillet steak but that price is all inclusive.

You can get the same in London too.

Surprisingly, most of the way things work in London are the same as the rest of the UK.

Some restaurants give you 'sides' as part of the meal, others make you order them separately. That's the same everywhere.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Assuming you mean 'proper' eating out, sitting down, waiter service etc. I've found the main difference to be you pay what it says on the menu and veg/sides are usually included in that price outside London. In London, and I expect most cities, it's more common to add 'opional' service charges and to charge for all veg individually.

Nowhere I've ever eaten in London has charged separately for veg.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    confuddled wrote: »
    there's always one

there's always one - what?!!! exactly -

since when does eating out in London - mean McF*cking Donalds - apart from the nearly homeless and students
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know of one person that goes into pubs that do two meals for £7.50 (or whatever it is) order two meals despite being on his own. When they arrive he get tupperware boxes out packs the spare meal up and takes it home to reheat the next day.

Have to give him credit, it does work out a cheaper way to live, even if you do look like a nutter to everyone around you. :D
    I'm surprised he got away with it once. I'd have thought they'd tell him that it wasn't appropriate.

Plus, surely it's just as cheap, and same quality, to get a supermarket meal deal.
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    there's always one - what?!!! exactly -

since when does eating out in London - mean McF*cking Donalds - apart from the nearly homeless and students
    Since McDonalds opened in London
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm surprised he got away with it once. I'd have thought they'd tell him that it wasn't appropriate.

Plus, surely it's just as cheap, and same quality, to get a supermarket meal deal.

A few years ago when Wetherspoons did their 2 for price of 1 meal deals an elderly widow in our local used to buy them and they would serve her each one on consecutive days.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    If you hang around SOAS at lunchtime the Hare Krishnas turn up with veggie curry that you can get a huge portion of for a couple of quid :D

Anytime I go to Uni I see them there, always a long queue, might partake one lunch time, as I'm normally always broke :D
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago when Wetherspoons did their 2 for price of 1 meal deals an elderly widow in our local used to buy them and they would serve her each one on consecutive days.

That's really nice of them. Wetherspoons have always had friendly staff when I've eaten there.
    Forum Member
    That's a nice touch. I wonder how many chains would do that.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    since when is MC D's "eating" ?!
    confuddled wrote: »
    there's always one :rolleyes:

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really nice of them. Wetherspoons have always had friendly staff when I've eaten there.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    That's a nice touch. I wonder how many chains would do that.

Admitedly it was a good few years ago and it was a small pub compared to more recent establishments. The bar only had a few customers at that time of day otherwise I don't think they would be able to have done it. But you're right, as much as I dislike chain pubs, the young staff are usually very nice despite being overworked!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowhere I've ever eaten in London has charged separately for veg.

Where have you eaten?

I remember a particular Italian in Greenwich where, despite ordering seperate veg, I assumed my steak would have at least a grilled tomato included but didn't and when I requested one they were quite irritated and I was told it would take at least 15 minutes. They weren't even busy!
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    If you hang around SOAS at lunchtime the Hare Krishnas turn up with veggie curry that you can get a huge portion of for a couple of quid :D

I went to SOAS !

Can't remember the Hare Krishna grub per se....but can remember the Rrefectory - even thoughI don't think I ever ventured inside it:)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    London is one of the world's greatest cities for restaurants. Beyond me why visitors want to come and eat at chain restaurants here when there are so many great places to try.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Where have you eaten?

I remember a particular Italian in Greenwich where, despite ordering seperate veg, I assumed my steak would have at least a grilled tomato included but didn't and when I requested one they were quite irritated and I was told it would take at least 15 minutes. They weren't even busy!

Been eating out in London for 10 years. Chez Bruce is my favourite, absolute bargain for anywhere, let alone London.