Jumped ship.

2»

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yeah maybe 5 years ago :rolleyes:
    Freeview offers up to 50 TV channels, and 24 radio stations plus 4 HD channels.
    Freesat brings you over 150 free TV and radio channels which currently stands at 191 channels, 6 of which are HD and add on top of that non-freesat mode.

Which of those 150 are worth watching? - while there's enough utter dross on Freeview, there's a lot more of it on Freesat (and Sky!), most of the extra free channels are just a complete waste of time.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Which of those 150 are worth watching? - while there's enough utter dross on Freeview, there's a lot more of it on Freesat (and Sky!), most of the extra free channels are just a complete waste of time.

Based on who's opinion?
    Just because one person finds something utter dross doesn't mean somebody else does also. According to these forums the shopping channels are the biggest waste of time and space, but yet they still seem to have plenty of viewers hour after hour, day after day.
    There's only 2 channels I like on Freeview that aren't on Freesat which are Dave and Quest which if I really do want to watch them then I will just watch them via the TVs tuner.(yes I know what about those with Freeview lite that can't do this? Well I suppose you can't miss what you've never had)
    There's plenty more on Freesat that I gain and like that aren't on Freeview which are the likes of the CBS channels, The Travel Channel, Kerrang, CNN, NHK World, RT, HeartTV just to name a few.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like what. The only one's I have ever tried watching serve up endless repeats of stuff I have already seen. (including Dave).

At least Freesat gives you a bit more HD content, like the Japanese NHKWorld channel, some of it well worth watching.

Do you regulary use both or just pedalling secondhand info.

I use both platforms daily in a domestic environment, not playing with them for short periods.

Freeview

HD FOX T2 - 1TB
    HDR FOX T2 - 500GB

Freesat

Foxsat-HDR - 1TB
    HDR-1000S - 2TB

If I had to choose just one box, tough call :D, but it would be one of the freesat boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have around 60 channels in my favourites list on my Freesat box, I have no Freeview reception. In my room at my mum's house where I stay quite often, there is only Freeview and I have 21 channels in the favourites list there - including the red button video stream! It's horses for courses of course, but I think generally people can find more useful channels out of Freesat than out of Freeview, maybe even Sky too.
  • blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Buy a cheap 2nd hand PS3 for all your catchup? It has all the catch up services now 4OD and Demand 5, there is even a beta client for Sky's rip off NowTV. My PS3 is only used as a media box now.
  • ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fair point though. The FreeTime box arrived in a fanfare, with the promise of *all* of the major catch-up services. Those early adopters have the right to be more than a bit peeved about the continued absence of 4OD, for example. A short delay on start of the platform maybe, but 8+ months and counting? Really?

TBH, I'd be surprised if any FreeTime owner saw the likes of 4OD now. Samsung seems to have done something clever/sneaky/whatever, because a lot of their 2013 kit offers all of the catch-up services. On new kit from Panasonic and Sony it's still conspicuous by its absence. That Samsung may not have integrated the service as well as Youview won't matter that much to most people, and as a lack of non-PVR Youview remains, getting a Samsung BRP looks like a cheap way of getting the services. After all, you only need one box with the service provision. Sure, you could use a PC hooked-up to your TV, but it's gross overkill, IMHO, as is subscribing to $ky and paying shed loads of money to get it.

The conspiracy theorist in me believes that Channel4 has sold-out to Samsung to cover the catch-up market this year, and $ky for the likes of More4HD and Film4HD .....

Clem
  • bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My decision to move from freetime to YouView was further cemented today with the arrival of on demand Dave,making the total number of players to eight if you include Now TV and BT Vision. Plus,although still in its infancy,the remote record app which is proving to be very reliable on the YouView platform. Will freetime ever catch up or even get close?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but it just seems like you're trolling to me and looking to stir the pot.

You've made your decision, so no need to keep coming back going on about how right it is for you. :rolleyes: