Is Smallville Worth Watching?

HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I never watched this, and seeing as I like things Superman related....I put it on my Sky Never Miss and the pilot is being shown this week on SyFy.

I know there are a lot of seasons, so without any spoilers, is it worth giving it a go?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seasons 1 - 4 are the best..... the rest are forgettable
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I never watched this, and seeing as I like things Superman related....I put it on my Sky Never Miss and the pilot is being shown this week on SyFy.

I know there are a lot of seasons, so without any spoilers, is it worth giving it a go?

NO!!! :eek::eek:

Seriously.

Many people got sucked in and watched 'til the end despite losing the will to live half-way through :(:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    NO!!! :eek::eek:

Seriously.

Many people got sucked in and watched 'til the end despite losing the will to live half-way through :(:cry:

This.

I watched it till the end but nearly every episode was a major drag
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed seasons 1 - 8 the most. Overall its worth watching.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only seen season 1-2 and from what i saw, i really liked
    But it does suffer from a lot of cast depatures though, which i hear does make the show suffer. I don't know if that is true
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stuck with it through all 10 seasons (still not sure how :eek:) and have to say I now only really enjoyed the later seasons even though they werent the best mostly cos I wasn't a Lana fan so hated the earlier seasons she was in & also because I liked the Clark & Lois relationship in the final 2 seasons :D
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it all, although the final two seasons do get a bit mired down in what's going on and start to drag a bit but there's still some great individual episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I watched all ten seasons pretty quickly last year, but I dare say that had I watched the show on a weekly schedule like everybody else, I would've bailed long before the end. For me, it was a show of two halves: the first half (1-5) was pretty great television, while the second half (6-10) was more lacklustre than anything else.

I'd say it's worth checking out at least, but if you manage to get far into it, expect there to be significant lulls in quality quite frequently and severely later on.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the first 1-5 seasons and enjoyed the last 2 seasons best. I loved the last 2 because it was the transition you need to see from 'Smallville Clark Kent' to 'Superman'.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys - quite the mixed bag there!

Think I will give it a go and see how what happens. :)
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might give it a go to.
    Syfy don't seem to show all of them though as after season 5 it goes back to 1.
    But can get the others else where if I get into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might give it a go to.
    Syfy don't seem to show all of them though as after season 5 it goes back to 1.
    But can get the others else where if I get into it.

That;s annoying!

Really were showing Greys Anatomy from the beginning, which I missed first time round but it stopped at the end of Season 3 and hasn't started up again - most annoying!
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 to 7 are great and they shouldve ended it there....although i didnt get bored of 8-9-10 they werent up to the earlier series standard .... i wont say any spoilers but as soon as certain people left it wasnt so interesting for me..
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    I have season 1 - 9 boxset. Treated myself over a year ago and still not opened it. I shall have to get season 10 now because eventually I'll start watching but think I might prefer Lois and Clark - The New Adventures of Superman to Smallville.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have season 1 - 9 boxset. Treated myself over a year ago and still not opened it. I shall have to get season 10 now because eventually I'll start watching but think I might prefer Lois and Clark - The New Adventures of Superman to Smallville.

I loved Lois & Clark. :)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »

It is worth watching, but it did drag on for about 5 years too long.

Seasons 1 - 5 are good, but after that, it just treads water IMO.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 was OK. Season 2 was pretty good. After that it fell off a cliff and continued plummeting season after season.

Not sure when during the fall it actually died but by the time it ended its run there was nothing left but a rancid stinking corpse.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, despite all the negativity on here, I enjoyed it all, apart from Callum Blue as Zod. Terrible actor in my opinion. I have the box set 1 to 9 and recorded 10 from the TV.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I say give it a go. The show goes from trying to be it's own thing to emulating the Reeve movies and becomes a valentines to the Silver Age very quickly, but overall it's a fun experiance, the only thing dragging it down is Clark's super-angst and elongating his doomed romantic pursuits with Lana and others before settling on Lois. Plus Chole Sullivan is the sole reason to watch the show once you get bored of Clark
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never get bored of Clark - well, at least Tom Welling! :D
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 8 was amazing IMO

I liked season. Too
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Seasons 1 - 4 are the best..... the rest are forgettable
    I agree except for the final episode of Season 10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I've been buying the boxsets and am nearing the end of season 5.

I say, yes, go for it. I've really enjoyed each series so far and I have season 6 & 7 waiting at home to watch.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it all. Yes, the Lana stuff needlessly drags on to ridiculous lengths, but there's always something good to keep you around. Remember though this is CLARK KENT, not Superman, even though many Superman elements are added. It starts off very good, lulls, then goes out awesome. If you didn't enjoy those last three seasons there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with you.

You can notice though the writers had their hands tied with a lot of things.

Watch all 10 seasons then pick up the CANON Season 11 comic. It's Smallville with a budget and the pointless "nah, you can't use this character" restrictions removed. (Well, except in the case of Stephanie Brown. SCREW YOU DIDIO!!)

EDIT: Good lord...I just went back and read some more posts. Goes downhill after 5 and ends as a stinking corpse? I...I feel like you may have been watching an entirely different show. That is around the time of the lull, but to say it continued sinking is clearly untrue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it all. Yes, the Lana stuff needlessly drags on to ridiculous lengths, but there's always something good to keep you around. Remember though this is CLARK KENT, not Superman, even though many Superman elements are added. It starts off very good, lulls, then goes out awesome. If you didn't enjoy those last three seasons there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with you.

You can notice though the writers had their hands tied with a lot of things.

Watch all 10 seasons then pick up the CANON Season 11 comic. It's Smallville with a budget and the pointless "nah, you can't use this character" restrictions removed. (Well, except in the case of Stephanie Brown. SCREW YOU DIDIO!!)

EDIT: Good lord...I just went back and read some more posts. Goes downhill after 5 and ends as a stinking corpse? I...I feel like you may have been watching an entirely different show. That is around the time of the lull, but to say it continued sinking is clearly untrue.

Well you seem to be in the minority, because both critics and fans everywhere....imdb, message boards etc seem to agree that the series went downhill after seasons 4 and 5 and that the latter seasons were pretty dam awful..
    Also many seem to agree that the final season was pretty dam poor aswell.