Keeping Up Appearances locations.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
Forum Member
✭✭
I know that Hyacinth's house was located in Binley Woods between Coventry and Rugby. Onslow's house was filmed in Stoke Aldermoor in Coventry.

Does anybody know where the church was located?
Also in a few episodes she went to visit stately homes.
One was known as Carldon Hall? Any ideas where this is?
In another ep she stayed at a hotel on a golfing weekend when the major took her for a spin in his car.
A few seasons later she bought an apartment in a country mansion. And in the last season she took a bmw and drove it to another country estate and then got arrested!
Again wondering if anybody knows the location- Im not sure if the same place was used for all these episodes- they certainly looked similar.

In last nights ep on UK Gold she went to Great Yarmouth ( UK Gold repeated the same ep from Mon night?!!!)
The guy who played the randy Italian Mr Farrini played Shughie Mc Veigh- the chef from Crossroads in the 70s!

Comments

• pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here is another page.
    http://www.planethelen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/weswanders.htm#bucket

I always thought it was done near London.

Never thought that a place name is never mentioned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The church is in Northampton. It's Christ Church on the Wellingborough Road near Abington Park. They also filmed a scene on the corner of Brookland Road and the Vale. My mate and I were out riding our bikes, and I remember seeing Hyacinth looking fed up sitting in the boot of a car!
  • Radio InformerRadio Informer Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sydneyfan wrote:
    I know that Hyacinth's house was located in Binley Woods between Coventry and Rugby. Onslow's house was filmed in Stoke Aldermoor in Coventry.

Does anybody know where the church was located?
    Also in a few episodes she went to visit stately homes.
    One was known as Carldon Hall? Any ideas where this is?
    In another ep she stayed at a hotel on a golfing weekend when the major took her for a spin in his car.
    A few seasons later she bought an apartment in a country mansion. And in the last season she took a bmw and drove it to another country estate and then got arrested!
    Again wondering if anybody knows the location- Im not sure if the same place was used for all these episodes- they certainly looked similar.

In last nights ep on UK Gold she went to Great Yarmouth ( UK Gold repeated the same ep from Mon night?!!!)
    The guy who played the randy Italian Mr Farrini played Shughie Mc Veigh- the chef from Crossroads in the 70s!

Hi i saw last nights episode they were at the fun fair.
    it's a funny programme.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the in-car shooting was done in and around leafy Leamington Spa - I was living there most of the time that the series was on. Never saw them being towed round on the back of a truck though...!

They did some filming in and around the Parade in the centre of Leamington, particularly when Richard was being dragged round one shop or the other. And I think the big house where the posh sister, whose name escapes me, lived was also in Leamington too.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they did some filming at the Chesford Grange Hotel on the road between Kenilworth and Leamington - the episode where they had a weekend away, although I think a lot of the shooting in the hotel grounds was done at some stately home somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    http://www.uk-comedy.com/

here is also another good website with filming locations, photos of the locations and loads of other stuff too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent looking site

Images that have a red border click them and the image changes to show the difference between now and then
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjb007 wrote:
    And here is another page.
    http://www.planethelen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/weswanders.htm#bucket

I always thought it was done near London.

Never thought that a place name is never mentioned.

In one episode she claimed she wanted to be big in the West Midlands entertaining circle, and the Commodore lived in Rugby.

Onslow is obviously a Scouser and Daisy was once a Liverpool supporter, but changed for him as it was an appauling admission to someone on their wedding night.

You gather that the family may originally have come from Merseyside, so why did they all move to the Midlands is the question !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes they had to go to Rugby station to meet the Commodore
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjb007 wrote:

I seem to remember in early episodes, the lady playing Edna in Emmerdale played Rose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I think one of the sites above mentions that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help guys. I think Patricia Routledge is from Liverpool originally.
    The posh sister was Violet. During the course of the show her house moved location. On one occasion they went to a house called the Paddocks and Violet was trying to get Bruce down from a tree. In a later episode- the one with the skis- we actually saw Violet and she lived in a much bigger house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Here is Hyacinths bungalow that was featured in the show on Google StreetView - oh my how its changed!! http://goo.gl/maps/5EZIh if you turn the camera to the right - you can still see the School sign on the lamppost that you see in some shots on the show!

Here is Daisy and Onslows house on Street View http://goo.gl/maps/mRehB
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One exterior definetely was in the West Midlands area, as I remember the green & yellow CENTRO bus shelter in one shot!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviedab wrote: »

haha you can almost imagine they still live there.

RIP Geoffrey Hughes.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    steviedab wrote: »
    Here is Hyacinths bungalow that was featured in the show on Google StreetView - oh my how its changed!! http://goo.gl/maps/5EZIh if you turn the camera to the right - you can still see the School sign on the lamppost that you see in some shots on the show!

Also the white plaque above Hyacinth's garage is still there!
  • norfolknenorfolkne Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I was unable to find the location of Violet & Bruce's house anywhere on the net and being the sad sole that I am, I decided to try and find it myself.

Anyway, after spending far too much time searching I have indeed found their house.

I have already added the details to Wikimapia, so I'll just copy what I put on there. I hope some find this information useful -

43, Newbold Terrace East, Leamington Spa, CV32 4EY.

This is the house that was used for the exterior shots of Violet and Bruce's house in the popular 1990's British television sitcom 'Keeping Up Appearances'. Good shots of the exterior of this house can be seen in the 'Barbecue At Violet's' episode. A clip of this episode is available on YouTube and a good shot of the exterior can be seen at 24 minutes and 20 seconds.

The exterior of this house on google maps street view can be viewed here - KUA - Violet & Bruce's House!
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    pjb007 wrote: »

I think it was actually Leamington Spa station. Rugby station is a pokey little glass building next door to my old office. Leamington Spa is a big white art deco building from where I get my train to London every morning. If it wasn't that episode where they went to Leamington station, it was another as I remember wondering how on earth they managed to drive a car anywhere near the entrance (must have been a Sunday morning!).

The also filmed outside the old Council building in the Parade in Leamington (something in fancy dress?) and used to be seen driving around a particular road that is used as a means to by-pass the main town. It's just off this road where one of the properties was located (the 'grand' house with the swimming pool): the locals know where it is but the home owners don't (or didn't) like it publicised.
  • Sam WalkerSam Walker Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    I think it was actually Leamington Spa station. Rugby station is a pokey little glass building next door to my old office. Leamington Spa is a big white art deco building from where I get my train to London every morning. If it wasn't that episode where they went to Leamington station, it was another as I remember wondering how on earth they managed to drive a car anywhere near the entrance (must have been a Sunday morning!).

The also filmed outside the old Council building in the Parade in Leamington (something in fancy dress?) and used to be seen driving around a particular road that is used as a means to by-pass the main town. It's just off this road where one of the properties was located (the 'grand' house with the swimming pool): the locals know where it is but the home owners don't (or didn't) like it publicised.

You're right. Leamington station was used, when the commodore was travelling from Rugby.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    They filmed quite a bit in Northampton, I recognised the Debenhams used when Daddy ran amok in the toy department :D and the other day Richard and Hyacinth were walking down the road from the Guildhall past the Derngate Theatre. I thought they filmed at Northampton railway station but I'd have to see that episode again, I haven't seen that one for ages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this programme so much lol how embarassing