Free kindle books

Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have not bought a book. For years due to free kindle books from legal sites, anyone else use them?

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done. Amazon has a great number of classics available freely. In fact, the first book I downloaded to my Kindle was one of the Waverley novels by Walter Scott - I'd been unable to find this particular one anywhere in book shops!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i use them, i`m particularly fond of victorian comedic literature, in which i can freely indulge.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    i use them, i`m particularly fond of victorian comedic literature, in which i can freely indulge.

Examples please.
    Forum Member
    Examples please.

jerome k jerome, the grossmith brothers, douglas william jerrold, somerville and ross, edward lear..................
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    jerome k jerome, the grossmith brothers, douglas william jerrold, somerville and ross, edward lear..................

Thank you. Any particular titles you enjoyed most?
    Forum Member
    Thank you. Any particular titles you enjoyed most?

i`m hard pressed to choose but i do especially like the tales of normal, everyday life like mrs caudle`s curtain lectures and diary of a nobody, people still fret about and find humour in the same things.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently reading Dracula which I got free and have Great Expectations lined up next. I have paid for a few newly released books but have read a lot of the free ones. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs was particularly good.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

What about Saki?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Another DS person posted this recently, kudos to them, sorry I don't recall their name. :o

http://uk.freereadfeed.com
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Another DS person posted this recently, kudos to them, sorry I don't recall their name. :o

That was me. There are lots of new books added everyday. There are fiction and non fiction books listed. I use it a lot.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

Thanks!

*downloads "10 Ways To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis" for free*

:D
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link, looks good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if you're interested in JK Jerome, you might like to read the book that inspired (to say the least) 3MIAB(TSNOTD)

Three in Norway (by two of them) written by J. A. Lees and W. J. Clutterbuck
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    That was me. There are lots of new books added everyday. There are fiction and non fiction books listed. I use it a lot.

So it was, and my sincere thanks. It's perhaps not obvious to some that it points you to free books on AmazonUK, so loading them onto your Kindle is easy-peasy,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I've been lucky so far and not yet downloaded a rubbish free book.
    I usually have a look out on the top sellers and see whats going.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feedbooks.com also has freebies, but the daddy for free "classics" is Project Gutenburg, brilliant site.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Can these be used on the Kindle app for phones and tablets?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    If you need to convert ebook formats or want to get free news feeds sent to your Kindle, Calibre is a great piece of free software.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably worth mentioning that if you're someone who buys a lot of stuff from Amazon anyway and pays shipping fees, it might work out cheaper to go for a Prime subscription. You get free next day shipping on eligible items (anything shipped directly from Amazon) and there's also a massive Kindle lending library which is only available to Prime subscribers.

Obviously, it's not really "free" if you don't already use the Prime service.