Help with some Harry Potter Questions?

Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What ever happened to Cho Chang? One minute Harry fancies her and then the next movie she isn't seen or heard of!:confused:

Did Dumbledore ask Snape to kill him? This part always confuses me!

Where did the Marauders Map come from? Who created it? What was it intended to be used for etc.

What happened to Professor Umbridge?

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever happened to Cho Chang? One minute Harry fancies her and then the next movie she isn't seen or heard of!:confused:

Where did the Marauders Map come from? Who created it? What was it intended to be used for etc.

Cho Chang was on the rebound from Cedric Diggory who died. I'm sure she had genuine feelings for Harry but she was using Harry to pour out her woes about Cedric which frustrated him.

As far as the movies goes, she gave up Dumbledores Army to Umbridge and noone liked her after that. Although later it turned out Snape had used Veritiserum on her (truth potion) on her to force her to tell.

Yes Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him. Everything is explained in the Princes Tale but the Movies are less clear on it IMO

The Maurauders Map was created from a group of Hogwarts students from James Potter's Generation. Moony was Remus Loopin. Padfoot was Sirius Black, Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew and Prongs was James Potter.

I'm not sure what happened to Umbridge after OoTP but I think she was given some sort of pardon by the Ministry of Magic. I don't thnk she went to Azkaban. By the time Voldemort took over the ministry she was back in a strong position and headed the new policy of Muggle born registration
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umbridge spent a while in St Mungos after OotP.
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Cho Chang was on the rebound from Cedric Diggory who died. I'm sure she had genuine feelings for Harry but she was using Harry to pour out her woes about Cedric which frustrated him.

As far as the movies goes, she gave up Dumbledores Army to Umbridge and noone liked her after that. Although later it turned out Snape had used Veritiserum on her (truth potion) on her to force her to tell.

Yes Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him. Everything is explained in the Princes Tale but the Movies are less clear on it IMO

The Maurauders Map was created from a group of Hogwarts students from James Potter's Generated. Moony was Remus Loopin. Padfoot was Sirius Black, Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew and Prongs was James Potter.

I'm not sure what happened to Umbridge after OoTP but I think she was given some sort of pardon by the Ministry of Magic. I don't thnk she went to Azkaban. By the time Voldemort took over the ministry she was back in a strong position and headed the new policy of Muggle born registration

Thanks but I mean did Cho Chang leave Hogwarts after that or what? I mean she isn't seen or heard of in the 6th movie! :confused:

I also found it stupid how Cedric popped out of nowhere in the 4th movie. He was this really popular boy who everyone knew yet we had no recollection of his character ever being seen or referenced prior to the GOF.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks but I mean did Cho Chang leave Hogwarts after that or what? I mean she isn't seen or heard of in the 6th movie! :confused:

I also found it stupid how Cedric popped out of nowhere in the 4th movie. He was this really popular boy who everyone knew yet we had no recollection of his character ever being seen or referenced prior to the GOF.

I think she was in HBP but was definately in the the last 2.

New students being referenced is nothing new. Same with Cedric and Luna Lovegood. Hermoine introduced her like she was someone who'd come from another school in the movies but I don't think that's the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cho Chang was in HBP and DHs.

I liked how in PoA they made a reference to her character by having Harry keep looking back at a girl sat in the courtyard (before Katie was cast in the role) Cho was a year older than Harry despite how it's portrayed in the movies.

Though not mentioned by name, you could say that the character of Cedric was also seen in PoA during Quidditch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luna was in the same year as Ginny. So in theory she's been around since CoS.
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was in HBP but was definately in the the last 2.

New students being referenced is nothing new. Same with Cedric and Luna Lovegood. Hermoine introduced her like she was someone who'd come from another school in the movies but I don't think that's the case.

Was she in the Half Blood Prince movie because I watched it last night and I never seen her. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she in the Half Blood Prince movie because I watched it last night and I never seen her. :confused:

I didn't say I was 100%, it's been a while since I watched the film 'm confident enough she did appear and Rainbow seems to know. :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a new Harry Potter film coming out or something? What's it with all these HP threads cropping up lately?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Is there a new Harry Potter film coming out or something? What's it with all these HP threads cropping up lately?

I guess people just like discussing Harry Potter. Not a crime beiung a Potterhead. :D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    She made an appearance at Dumbledore's funeral in the sixth book.

Rowling said she got sentenced to prison at Azkaban for crimes against the muggles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess people just like discussing Harry Potter. Not a crime beiung a Potterhead. :D

Potterhead since 2004 and proud *high five* :D
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*High Fives Back* since 1998 for me, got the first book for a Christmas present and started reading it a couple weeks after :)
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Any more questions?

I was a bit sorry I got to miss the Q&A! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Probably because they are being repeated on ITV.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, Rowling recently confirmed that Umbridge was unsurprisingly in Slytherin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D
    *High Fives Back* since 1998 for me, got the first book for a Christmas present and started reading it a couple weeks after :)

Just started a new read. Reading Philosophers Stone. I know it's aimed at Kids but it's still a fresh and engaging read
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Answer to question 1: Harry and Cho Chang broke up after her friend betrayed Dumbledore's Army a year after that she left hogwarts but returned for the battle in the final book.

A 2: Dumbledore had a curse but in him by Voldemorts hourex. Shape has always worked for Dumbledore as a spy in the death eaters because he loved Lily potter (Harry's mother)

A 3: the Marauders Map was made by Mooney, Padfoot, wormtail and Prongs (aka professor Lupin, Sirus Black, peter Pettigrew and James potter) during their time at hogwarts.
    A 4 Professor Umbridge ended up in St Mungos
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cho chang was on the rebound following CD death and because Harry was there when he died she feels the connection and wants to talk to somebody about CD and Harry because he was there helps her out in a way. She is still mentioned in later books.

Yes Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him. One of the horcrux was a ring which was owned by Tom Riddle/Voldemorts grandad. His mother was a witch and desended from a whole line of wizards/witches. She put a love spell or potion on a young non wizard man in her village and had a child, Tom and as LV grew up he began to hate his background. His mother and her family abandoned him, LV turned the ring into a horcrux and Dumbledore found it and put it on. Once he put in on he knew it was going to kill him, he visited Snape to help him out, Snape could only delay the poison. Dumbledore was aware of Draco Malfoys plan and told Snape he must be the one to kill him to protect DM and not destroy his soul. We as readers are not made aware of Snapes loyalty to Dumbledore and indeed Harry until the last book when Snape dies. This scene in the book is fantastic.

The map was made by James Potter, Peter Pettigew, Lupin and Sirius Black. Their code names are Mooney, Padfoot, worm tail and prongs I think. It shows all the secret passages, dots of all students, teachers, ghosts but I don't think it shows the room of requirement? Can anybody remember if it does. It was passed down to Harry as is people sensitive. I don't think anybody using it for bad things can access the map. If I recall it got confiscated by somebody and they couldn't use it?

Umbridge worked in the ministry in book 7, she has the gold necklace that Harry, Ron, Hermoine manage to steal off her. She carries on working there until LV is killed then I think she's arrested and taken to Azkaban?

As a reader first we already know alot of the detail. In the films these are not quite as well explained
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once someone enters the room of requirement they no longer show up on the map. I think the map shows ANYONE in the Hogwarts grounds, not just staff and students but I don't know what magic precisely is sourcing it.
  • mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umbridge went crazy after the centaur attack in the fifth book/movie. She was sent to a rehab to get back on track. Centaurs are known by legend to raped women too and some people believe this was implied in the book by Hermione. :o

You should have a read at this for further information:

click!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrtrobz wrote: »
    Umbridge went crazy after the centaur attack in the fifth book/movie. She was sent to a rehab to get back on track. Centaurs are known by legend to raped women too and some people believe this was implied in the book by Hermione. :o

You should have a read at this for further information:

click!

Think she went mad long before that. :D
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the part in OOTP where shes in the hospital and Ron makes the "Clip Clop" noises! :D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just rewatched the series on blu-ray

umbridge obviously got better, because the 3 intrepid heroes had to steal a locket/horcrux from her in the ministry of magic in the last film.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the first film, Harry is revealed to be fantastically wealthy, but it doesn't come up again until DH2 when he tries to offer money to the goblin at Gringots in exchange for the sword of Gryfindor.

In the books does his being rich ever get mentioned or used?