news app

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there anything good that pushes major headlines as notifications on android?

Ive now installed 'breaking news' but wondering if anything better out there?

want it to really only alert in truly major news. Ie. Boston explosions yesterday. Dont want it to alert on smaller sort of trivial news.

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it nobodys knows of better then or interested in this sort of thing.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Pulse News is a good application, I believe also it can be set to notify on major incidents.
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the BBC and Sky News apps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ta. Pulse looks a bit like Google currents. Ill stick with breaking news just now. It does give world news pushes but mainly US. Guess I'll know next time something major happens if it works.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    News Republic is my new most favourite news app. Looks gorgeous esp on tablets, lets you pick subjects you are interested in and give you breaking news notifications. (its how I found out about Boston)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilesrepublic.appy

the other option is to subscribe to twitter 'breaking news' feeds and have them come up as notifications, but if you're only after major updates I don't think that'll be right for you.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian also now has a notification facility. It's how I first heard about the Boston Bombings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks everyone. From them I'm trying guardian at same time as breaking news. See how they go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as an ongoing research into these alerts. I woke this morning to an alert of the fertiliser plant explosion in texas from breaking news but nothing so far from the guardian despite it being a major story on its headlines.

Surprised that sky dont have something like this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Just as an ongoing research into these alerts. I woke this morning to an alert of the fertiliser plant explosion in texas from breaking news but nothing so far from the guardian despite it being a major story on its headlines.

I'm interested myself in these notifications and am disappointed in the Guardian by the lack of a notification on this story. What app did tell you about it?
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sky news app on ios does push breaking news so hopefully it will come to android soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one I was using is called breaking news. The guardian push has now come through. Maybe doesn't work 24/7 and only office hours??

Hopefully gavo
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subscribe to the BBCs push news SMS service. Normally very quick off the mark and not charged at premium rates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment im still running with both guardian and breaking news for notifications. To be honest I'd probably like a little more from both them.
    My ideal would be one where you could select tiers of alerts. Ie. 1 for major world events. 2. Adds in category 2 news but still top stories. 3. Every headline. Etc etc
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use news republic too, it's fantastic on wifi with a decent phone.

it doesn't alert though.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use news republic too, it's fantastic on wifi with a decent phone.

it doesn't alert though.

sure it does. Just select 'notifications' for the ones you want alerts for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... have added republic now too. Have set notifications on. Hard to get a balance with these.

Disappointed that both breaking news and guardian thought china earthquake wasnt news worthy. Breaking news is good but only really if its US. Guardian is a bit quiet. Not sure if Republic notified about earthquake as only just installed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... have added republic now too. Have set notifications on. Hard to get a balance with these.

Disappointed that both breaking news and guardian thought china earthquake wasnt news worthy. Breaking news is good but only really if its US. Guardian is a bit quiet. Not sure if Republic notified about earthquake as only just installed

Having now had Guardian installed for nearly two weeks, I'm inclined to agree. It does seem very random about what it considers to be breaking news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think there surely would be a huge market for something decent. You know how if you watch sky news and something comes in that they break into with...reports are coming in on reuters of x, y, z.

Im interested in how efficient the sky one is on ios?? in the hope they include it in the android one sometime
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll need to bin these apps and write to sky news and beg them to include notifications on android version.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll need to bin these apps and write to sky news and beg them to include notifications on android version.

I've been using news republic since it was mentioned on this thread and its not as good as I was hoping. It can be hours late notifying me about a story. Hopefully sky will improve the android app but they only seem to care about iOS for all there apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Republic one is murder on breaking news only. Ive got it alerting on top stories now. Maybe slightly over the top now but will see how that goes.

The final straw with the breaking news app was it alerting me this morning to some guy being picked in first draft of American football. I thought really. ...breaking headline news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im testing yet another one out now. This is also called breaking news. What ive done is went to it options of sources and unchecked everything other than sky news. Time will tell again I guess. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iavian.newspush

It does give the odd force close but checking it anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Above one not too bad actually. I only have sources as sky news. I tried with bbc too but basically gave duplicated stories. Have threw in fox news too as a source but not had anything that side of the pond yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested this one im using I rekon picks its notifications up from sky news twitter feed of breaking news. The post are identically worded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply refused to work on my Nexus 7