Where's Striker gone?

Comments

• WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,455
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Good point, a simple THE END caption box at the bottom of Friday's episode would've sufficed.

By virals you mean advertising, right? Which is just what I expected, unfortunately. Why can't they reprint some comic strips from the past or something?

Virals - funniest pics doing the rounds this week

Advertising would of been better:p
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I've seen that now, it does kinda advertise McDonalds though. This won't last, anyone who wants to look at such things knows where to look on the Internet. It's promoting a section of The Sun website which has existed for at least a year: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/virals/

I wanted some sort of comic strip replacement, I don't care if it's new or reprint. :(
  • Mickwall68Mickwall68 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Pete Nash and The Sun have treated Striker fans some of whom gave Nashy a total of £250,000 a few years back like utter mugs.

There as a right way and a wrong way to end such a long running strip and the chose the wrong way.

http://s11.zetaboards.com/Striker_World/index/
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gutted, absolutely loved Striker. What a shitty way to bow out though.
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so disappointed. I really enjoyed Striker - and I'm a 40-something woman who doesn't watch football! The way this has finished has been really bad and The Sun haven't been fair to their readers by suddenly cancelling it before the end.
    Forum Member
    They didn't cancel it before the end. They just dropped the Saturday full pages six weeks ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    oh well time to get my striker annual out and comics and fondly read through them savouring every printed word
    Forum Member
    I wonder when Striker3d.net will relaunch? Has to be in the next week according to the email I quoted in post 5.
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Email received from Pete Nash

Dear reader,

Thank you for your email enquiring about Striker’s absence. I have received hundreds of them and they are still arriving so I hope you will forgive me for not replying to each one personally. I have been warmed by so many kind comments and somewhat surprised by the strength of feelings expressed.

Last September I gave a year’s notice to The Sun that I felt the time was approaching to end Striker as it was becoming increasingly difficult to create fresh storylines for the characters and I did not want to run the risk of it becoming stale. There was always the possibility of re-launching it in the future and to this end I offered to create a replacement strip for The Sun or rerun earlier adventures showing how Warbury Warriors were formed when Nick and Eric first got together. Sadly, The Sun did not wish to discuss this possibility.

I ended the strip with a scenario that both wrapped up the storyline and kept open the possibility of resurrecting it at a later date. I had no idea The Sun would leave their readers in the dark by failing to announce the strip was ending.

For a long time now I have wanted to publish the entire Striker archive as a series of books and develop it into a movie or TV series. I shall now have the time to explore those possibilities and will keep you informed of any developments. In the meanwhile, I shall shortly be updating our website at www.striker3d.net where you can read some of the earlier Striker adventures free online.

With best wishes and thanks for your support,

Pete Nash
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I only ever bought The Sun for "Striker". Never had any interest in football but the storylines were good fun.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the update Wayne.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickwall68 wrote: »
    Pete Nash and The Sun have treated Striker fans some of whom gave Nashy a total of £250,000 a few years back like utter mugs.

There as a right way and a wrong way to end such a long running strip and the chose the wrong way.

http://s11.zetaboards.com/Striker_World/index/

In what way? Pete announced that Striker was ending, and when it was ending, months ago. The storyline was wrapped up quite nicely. He was not responsible for The Sun failing to keep readers informed of what was happening, so I'm at a loss as to what you think Pete did wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell were readers supposed to know that was the end???? You'd think there would be some kind of message in the paper for people who have been following the stories.

I had to google today to find out what was going on. Yeah the club was sold, but they are always having dramas and finding their way out of them. How annoying.
    It was no secret that it was ending. The Sun chose not to draw attention to it, but it's hardly come out of nowhere.
    Why can't they reprint some comic strips from the past or something?

Because Pete Nash owns the strip and his contract with The Sun has run its course-they have no right to reprint it even if they wanted to, which it seems they don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A brief update on the front page of the Striker web site now, along with a more detailed update in the news section. The 'read strips' link now goes to another web site, where you can read the beginning of a story with the introduction of Eric, from 1994.
    Forum Member
    Because Pete Nash owns the strip and his contract with The Sun has run its course-they have no right to reprint it even if they wanted to, which it seems they don't.
    I didn't necessarily mean Striker. They've published various other comic strips in the past. Axa, Libby, Badlands... the only other one they can't use is Psycops, as that was also by Pete Nash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't necessarily mean Striker. They've published various other comic strips in the past. Axa, Libby, Badlands... the only other one they can't use is Psycops, as that was also by Pete Nash.

Nope, I have no idea what the status of the other individual strips is but they certainly don't own the rights to Axa-her creator, Enrique Romero, does-or to Hagar, which is an American strip, so I'd imagine the same probably applies to all the rest. The Sun comic strips aren't generally work for hire as far as I know, so my best guess would be that once a strip is cancelled and its creator is no longer under contract that strip is then out of their hands.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Striker was the first thing that I read when buying the Sun.

You can imagine my disappointment on Monday morning when I opened the page, expecting the latest instalment in the story, to find Striker replaced by half a page of viral jokes.

There was no mention given at all in the paper that Striker had ended and its replacement - viral "jokes" that aren't even funny - is nothing short of insulting to the many fans who read the strip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Striker was the first thing that I read when buying the Sun.

You can imagine my disappointment on Monday morning when I opened the page, expecting the latest instalment in the story, to find Striker replaced by half a page of viral jokes.

There was no mention given at all in the paper that Striker had ended and its replacement - viral "jokes" that aren't even funny - is nothing short of insulting to the many fans who read the strip.

Again: blame The Sun. The fact that it was ending was no secret, it has been public knowledge for months (hence this thread), the paper's editors simply chose not to announce it because they no longer seem to consider the comics section a priority.
    Forum Member
    :mad::( What are they gonna do next, drop George and Lynne? :rolleyes:

And they really should've put Em on the main comics page 5 days a week (it was 5 days a week in The London Paper, so the artist would be willing), not 2 days a week in Live It, the women's pages.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    How did striker end?

I haven't read it in ages but man i used to be so addicted
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    How did striker end?

I haven't read it in ages but man i used to be so addicted

Fabian bought the club from Li Ming. Eric and Nick took Fabian to the site of the proposed new stadium which would have been built, and Nick pointed out to Fabian that all he'd bought was the right to use the name of the club, as there was no stadium or team.

Meanwhile, Eric told Nick that he'd done a deal to buy Newcastle, but what he hadn't told Nick was it was Newcastle Town that he'd bought, not Newcastle United, which Nick only discovered when they arrive at the ground. Nick then walks off in disgust, with Eric chasing him.

After discovering that his purchase was virtually worthless, Fabian sold the club to Scrapper, who then planned to use the site of the proposed new stadium for retail development. However, he found that he couldn't due to a clause in the contract. Just then, an Arab Shiekh turned up making Scrapper an offer he couldn't refuse...

...and that was it.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This tells you everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    This tells you everything.

I'd rather like to see Psycops return somewhere.
    Forum Member
    Maybe Pete could put that online the same way he's doing Striker?
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to read Psycops again, i hadn't realised until the Striker comic came out that it was Pete Nash who had done that as well.