Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Yeah thats about the same amount of weight that i have to lose aswell! Gonna take quite a while but im hopefull ill get there.

What foods do you find you eat for meals and stuff that are quite low in points??
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Basically you have 500 calories on 2 non consequetive days of the week and eat what you want the other days.
    I think by cutting down to 500 cals you reeducate yourself not to eat too much on the other days.
    I don't think you would lose weight if you binged on your 5 days off.

I honestly dont see how that would work and i dont understand why anybody would encourage people to eat 500 calories a day, thats a dangerously low amount and its not really encouraging people to eat healthier,its encouraging people to starve themselves i think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Am doing Rosemary Conley (not the classes) and have lost half a stone in three weeks. Am getting a bit bored now but am planning a treat for Valentines Day to give me something to look forward to.
    Forum Member
    Fluffymingo : Whats rosemary conley diet like?? How does it work? :)
    Forum Member
    Less than 4% fat and I am on the first phase which is 1200 cals per day. No alcohol. Fairly common sense really - 5 glasses of water, 5 fruit and veg, 20 mins exercise five times a week. The important thing is to record everything which makes it harder to cheat. I use the Portion Pots which are colour coded and help sort out portion size as well. I am also using the wii fit to exercise and track progress. I really want to lose 3 stone before August if possible!
    Forum Member
    Goodluck!! :D I want to lose a stone and a half before august too :D the sooner the better though lol
    Forum Member
    Good luck to you too - and everyone else. Only found this thread today, great to have other people to talk to.
    Forum Member
    Thankyou. And it certainly is :) its good for motivation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, I'm 20, male and a currently hovering between 10.5 stone and 11 stone. I have a belly that i do not like, it's noticeable if I take my top of but barely noticeable at all under a t-shirt. I want to get rid of it but the gym and eating healthy didn't do anything, it helped my arms but I don't really care about them. I even tried diet pills at one point, but didn't work either. Apparently swimming is a good way to lose weight and tone up as i would like to tone up as well but I can live without it as long as i am flat chested.

Any ideas, what is the best way that you've experienced to achieve a flat stomach. Any suggestions will be taken on board, i'm kinda desperate now. :(

Posted this general dicussion as well as deseprate needs call for desperate measures.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I made a mistake last night. I calculated my calories using an online source for calories for dry couscous which suggested 200kcal per 100g. But when I looked at the actual packet later - 366kcal per 100g. So instead of being in the 1700s yesterday, I ate in the mid-high 1800s. With my target being 1800.

I did burn (according to the machines) ~300kcal in the gym this morning. So perhaps that would make up for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah thats about the same amount of weight that i have to lose aswell! Gonna take quite a while but im hopefull ill get there.

What foods do you find you eat for meals and stuff that are quite low in points??
    I eat wuite a lot of chicken,and I always do a big pam on veg soup
    Forum Member

I made a chick pea stew last night. Most of the calories came from the chick peas which were 72kcals/100g, with 400g going in for two people (plus leftovers). The rest was: onion, leek, carrots, parsnip, cabbage, mushrooms, stock cubes, coriander, cumin, two tablespoons tomato puree, garlic, and mixed herbs. Tasted fine, and was very low on calories overall. I ate it with couscous which wasn't bad for calories, but not as good as I thought at the time (see other post).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I eat quite a lot of chicken and make curry's but bulk them up with veg,butternut squash I particularly love and make chips with it, and I always do a big pan of veg soup and put passata and chilli powder,it makes a lovely spicy soup when its blended and all no points .
    I cant stand WW meal's they are just so small and so processed,i do like the sausages, bagels,pitta breads and Danish bread though.Linda Mcartney red onion sausage are quite nice,and just 1 point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I honestly dont see how that would work and i dont understand why anybody would encourage people to eat 500 calories a day, thats a dangerously low amount and its not really encouraging people to eat healthier,its encouraging people to starve themselves i think.

Have only done one fast day and as male was allowed 600 kcal, and as much black tea an coffee as you want.
    Being someone who has always ate as much as I want , am surprised I didn't find it harder and the hunger pangs were not out of control.
    I had a late brunch of 90 g porridge 1/2 a banana and 150ml skimmed milk, and yes the hunger was worse after than before I had something to eat, which calmed to a background pang :).
    For evening meal I had Thai steak savoy cabbage an carrot, unfortunately have just rechecked recipe and cheated myself out of an extra 40 g :(. Of steak
    Today surprisingly or not I have not binge eaten and only eaten moderately, which if you read the book is what most people do even though you can eat what you want !
    Will it work ? I don't know but am hopeful :D
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    That's amazing - well done. How long has it taken you?

Hmm well, I lost 5 stone in 2011 and had a bit of a crappy stressful year last year and put 2 st 4lb (comfort food snacking) back on so I joined weight watchers in Oct and I'm just a pound away from the 5st mark. Just another 3st to go and I'm done, I'm hoping to do it this year.
    Losing it is easy, it's keeping it off that's the hard bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dont know what happened there,lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Today's weigh in.

14st 13lb - lost 3lbs in 10 days.

According to the graph on the Wii (which does have a long gap since my last weigh in) it's the lightest I've been for about 2 years.

A decent start I think. :)

Today's weigh in.

14st 7lb (just a smidge under) although the Wii says I've lost 5 lbs.

Regardless of the precision I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself. :D

I was hoping for good news as I'm already noticing the difference in looser clothing. I'm actually quite close to having to dig out some smaller trousers that don't keep falling down.
    Forum Member
    .Linda Mcartney red onion sausage are quite nice,and just 1 point.

I did a second take when I saw this as Linda McCartney products are not known for being low fat or low calories. But when I looked them up on the Linda McC food site, I find that they're 64 calories per sausage, which compares well to her normal sausages which I think are 101kcal each. (The online nutritional information is a bit confusing as it refers to a 'serving' not a sausage, but looking at the 100g calorie figures shows that the red onion sausages are much lower calories than the original ones.

And I most definitely want to buy some and try them.
    Forum Member

Im vegetarian so chicken is out of the question for me but i eat alot of quorn to replace the meat i used to eat. Quorn is so niceee :p
    Forum Member
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Hey, I'm 20, male and a currently hovering between 10.5 stone and 11 stone. I have a belly that i do not like, it's noticeable if I take my top of but barely noticeable at all under a t-shirt. I want to get rid of it but the gym and eating healthy didn't do anything, it helped my arms but I don't really care about them. I even tried diet pills at one point, but didn't work either. Apparently swimming is a good way to lose weight and tone up as i would like to tone up as well but I can live without it as long as i am flat chested.

Any ideas, what is the best way that you've experienced to achieve a flat stomach. Any suggestions will be taken on board, i'm kinda desperate now. :(

Posted this general dicussion as well as deseprate needs call for desperate measures.

Im sorry i dont know what to suggest, because im healthy eating along with exercise and its working for me!! Are you doing much cardio??
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I made a chick pea stew last night. Most of the calories came from the chick peas which were 72kcals/100g, with 400g going in for two people (plus leftovers). The rest was: onion, leek, carrots, parsnip, cabbage, mushrooms, stock cubes, coriander, cumin, two tablespoons tomato puree, garlic, and mixed herbs. Tasted fine, and was very low on calories overall. I ate it with couscous which wasn't bad for calories, but not as good as I thought at the time (see other post).

That sounds really really good, never tried chick peas but im definatly going to try making this :)
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Today's weigh in.

14st 7lb (just a smidge under) although the Wii says I've lost 5 lbs.

Regardless of the precision I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself. :D

I was hoping for good news as I'm already noticing the difference in looser clothing. I'm actually quite close to having to dig out some smaller trousers that don't keep falling down.

Congratulations!! :D ive managed to get a smaller work shirt already which im happy about!!!
    Forum Member
    I did a second take when I saw this as Linda McCartney products are not known for being low fat or low calories. But when I looked them up on the Linda McC food site, I find that they're 64 calories per sausage, which compares well to her normal sausages which I think are 101kcal each. (The online nutritional information is a bit confusing as it refers to a 'serving' not a sausage, but looking at the 100g calorie figures shows that the red onion sausages are much lower calories than the original ones.

And I most definitely want to buy some and try them.

I've tried quorn sausages and they are BEAUT! never tried linda mccartney ones though so will definatly give them a try xx
    Forum Member
    That sounds really really good, never tried chick peas but im definatly going to try making this :)

It must have been good because my partner snarfed all the leftovers while I was out today. It had a subtle flavour, not too strong. I really like chick peas in stews, because even out of tins they're a bit firmer than many beans.
    Forum Member
    It must have been good because my partner snarfed all the leftovers while I was out today. It had a subtle flavour, not too strong.

lol!! it used to be me that would snarf all the leftovers of food, not anymore though :D