Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters 2012/13 (non-football)

Comments

• pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heineken Cup - IRN/Talking Rugby - Yesterday

Leicester v Treviso - Simon Ward.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT

Saturday 3rd November

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Leicester Tigers v Northampton Saints - Laurence Mora

Sunday 4th November

London Welsh v Bath - Russell Hargreaves

Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
    Yas Marina Circuit - Graham Courtney

Monday 5th to Monday 12th November

Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals
    O2 Arena - Dave Luddy

Saturday 10th November

Rugby Union: Autumn Internationals
    England v Fiji - Andrew McKenna
    Wales v Argentina - Hamish Stuart
    Ireland v South Africa - David Brady

Sunday 11th November

Rugby Union: Autumn International
    Scotland v New Zealand - Stuart Cameron

Thursday 15th to Monday 19th November

Cricket: First Test Match
    India v England - Jack Bannister

Friday 16th November

Hawksbee & Jacobs with Paul Hawksbee, Andy Jacobs and Paddy Power from Cheltenham Racecourse

Horse Racing: The Cheltenham Open
    Cheltenham Racecourse - Rupert Bell (commentary on the closing stages of selected races)

Rugby Union: Autumn International
    Wales v Samoa - Hamish Stuart

Saturday 17th November

England v Australia - Andrew McKenna
    Scotland v South Africa - Stuart Cameron

Sunday 18th November

Rugby Union: LV= Cup Group Stage
    Newport Gwent Dragons v Northampton Saints - Hamish Stuart

Formula 1: United States Grand Prix
    Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas - Graham Courtney

Friday 23rd to Tuesday 27th November

Cricket: Second Test Match

Saturday 24th November

Ireland v Argentina - David Brady
    England v South Africa - Andrew McKenna
    Scotland v Tonga - Stuart Cameron
    Wales v New Zealand - Hamish Stuart

Boxing: Welterweight Contest
    Ricky Hatton v Vyacheslav Senchenko - Dom McGuinness

Sunday 25th November

London Irish v Exeter Chiefs - Russell Hargreaves

Formula 1: Brazilian Grand Prix
    Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, Interlagos - Graham Courtney

Friday 30th November

Boxing: various contests
    David Price v Matt Skelton & Andrew Flintoff v Richard Dawson - Dom McGuinness

Saturday 1st December

England v New Zealand - Andrew McKenna
    Wales v Australia - Hamish Stuart

Saturday 1st to Sunday 9th December

Snooker: UK Championship
    Barbican Centre, York - Richard Fleming

Sunday 2nd December

Saracens v Gloucester - Russell Hargreaves

Wednesday 5th to Sunday 9th December

Cricket: Third Test Match

Friday 7th December

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 4
    Northampton Saints v Ulster - Russell Hargreaves

Saturday 8th December

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 6
    Sale Sharks v Toulon - Nick Heath

Sunday 9th December

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 2
    Leicester Tigers v Treviso - Simon Ward

All of talkSPORT's rugby union reporters were provided by Talking Rugby, with the exception of Andrew McKenna's coverage of England's autumn series, which Russell Hargreaves and Nick Heath covered for Talking Rugby. Great to hear one of the major snooker tournaments covered from start to finish by talkSPORT for the first time in a couple of years, Richard Fleming's updates on the UK Championship were provided by DLI Radio Sport.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT are broadcasting a boxing show this Saturday:
    19:00-21:00
    Fight Club

All the biggest issues in boxing and beyond discussed with Gareth A. Davies & Richie Woodhall. Big names and strong opinions from the people in the know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting development. It seems as if this programme has been a while in the making as Gareth A. Davies has been presenting a half-hour podcast-style boxing show which has been available on talkSPORT.co.uk and broadcast during overnight show Extra Time for a few months now. Getting Richie Woodhall, a boxing co-commentator on Radio 5 Live and a variety of TV channels who for my money is one of the best sports analysts around, involved in this show is a bit of a coup.

I guess this is only in the schedule because there isn't a Saturday 5.30pm Premier League commentary this weekend, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, Full Contact was first broadcast on Saturday evenings but only when there was no live football for the first few years of its run and it has gone on not only to win a permanent weekly slot but has become a real success story for the station.

Personally I'd much prefer it if they broadcast a magazine programme like this - be it Fight Club, Full Contact or The Transfer Tavern around football's transfer windows - in the Saturday 7-9pm slot whenever there's no live game rather than a secondary weekend edition of My Sporting Life. As much as I enjoy MSL (it was robbed at the Sony Awards!), I don't think they should broadcast two shows per weekend as it tends to mean that the Sunday version doesn't get trailed that much and people who don't keep a close track of the station might not hear that the Saturday edition has been scheduled. Doing something new and different in this slot is a much better move in my opinion.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting development. It seems as if this programme has been a while in the making as Gareth A. Davies has been presenting a half-hour podcast-style boxing show which has been available on talkSPORT.co.uk and broadcast during overnight show Extra Time for a few months now. Getting Richie Woodhall, a boxing co-commentator on Radio 5 Live and a variety of TV channels who for my money is one of the best sports analysts around, involved in this show is a bit of a coup.

I guess this is only in the schedule because there isn't a Saturday 5.30pm Premier League commentary this weekend, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, Full Contact was first broadcast on Saturday evenings but only when there was no live football for the first few years of its run and it has gone on not only to win a permanent weekly slot but has become a real success story for the station.

Personally I'd much prefer it if they broadcast a magazine programme like this - be it Fight Club, Full Contact or The Transfer Tavern around football's transfer windows - in the Saturday 7-9pm slot whenever there's no live game rather than a secondary weekend edition of My Sporting Life. As much as I enjoy MSL (it was robbed at the Sony Awards!), I don't think they should broadcast two shows per weekend as it tends to mean that the Sunday version doesn't get trailed that much and people who don't keep a close track of the station might not hear that the Saturday edition has been scheduled. Doing something new and different in this slot is a much better move in my opinion.

as a boxing fan I am glad to see TS doing this-- I'll be watching the World Darts Championships but will listen via listen again. as well as no 5:30 PM premiership game this week meaning that the schedule is free for this show, it works well as they'll be able to broadcast build-up to Amir Khan's fight which takes place in the early hours of Sunday morning.

on the subject of boxing, 5live caried commentary of David Price v Matt Skelton on the 30th November with Mike Costello and Matt Macklin.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bridgend Ravens V Bristol (British & Irish Cup RU)

BBC Bristol - Andy Champion and Mark Hoskins (1548MW / DAB / Online)
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,557
    Forum Member
    ABC Grandstand

Cricket - Australia v Sri Lanka (Hobart)
    Jim Maxwell, Drew Morphet, Geoff Lawson, Kerry O'Keeffe, Brett Geevs and Roshan Abeysinghe (commentary)

I am indisposed at present so am able to listen to the cricket from Nagpur. The 5Live Sports Extra include Jonathan Agnew, Simon Mann and a very good Indian commentator (Prakash . . .?) with summaries by Vic Marks, Geoff Boycott and Rahul Dravid. Andrew ? Is the scorer and Adam Mountford is the producer. Alastair Bruce-Ball is reporting for BBC national stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 9th December - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Tony Husband and Aki Jones (in London)

American Football: NFL Week 14
    Miami Dolphins @ San Francisco 49ers - Ted Robinson and Eric Davis (commentary provided by KNBR - "The US Bank 49ers Radio Network")

On TV, Mark Chapman and Mike Carlson presented the BBC Red Button's coverage of the Houston Texans @ New England Patriots in ESPN's Monday Night Football.

Switching North American sports, last night ESPN Radio broadcast their first live commentary from the National Basketball Association since the death of their long-time NBA commentator Jim Durham (ESPN Radio tends to focus their live sports coverage on college football at this time of year, with few NBA commentaries between Opening Night and Christmas Night). Kevin Calabro and Dr. Jack Ramsay commentated on the Los Angeles Lakers @ New York Knicks from Madison Square Garden, with Marc Kestecher presenting from the studio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    I am indisposed at present so am able to listen to the cricket from Nagpur. The 5Live Sports Extra include Jonathan Agnew, Simon Mann and a very good Indian commentator (Prakash . . .?) with summaries by Vic Marks, Geoff Boycott and Rahul Dravid. Andrew ? Is the scorer and Adam Mountford is the producer. Alastair Bruce-Ball is reporting for BBC national stations.

The names you are missing are Prakash Wakankar and Andrew Samson. As usual Jack Bannister has been covering the Test match for talkSPORT.

I've been listening to the Fight Club show on talkSPORT this evening and have found it a very enjoyable listen. They've been able to land an impressive number of big name interviews (Carl Froch, Frank Warren, David Haye, Nassem Hamed and Chris Eubank are among those they've spoken to) and while that have previewed tonight's fights - they seem to have a tie-in with BoxNation as they used a few of their commentary clips in the intro - in the main it has been a retrospective on the year in boxing. As such it's not the kind of show you could see them airing every week, but it's certainly something I'd like to hear once every so often when there's no Saturday night game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newport-Gwent Dragons V Rugby Mogliano (Amlin Challenge Cup RU)

BBC Radio Wales - Gareth Rhys Owen (also host) and John Devereux (AM / Digital TV/Radio / Online)

It's absolutely pi**ing it down there (and here), but well done to the follks on the North Terrace who Gareth has just said of whom some aren't wearing coats!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 16th December - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Darren Fletcher (in London)

American Football: NFL Week 15
    Pittsburgh Steelers @ Dallas Cowboys - Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg, with Kristi Scales on the sidelines (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by 105.3 The Fan - "The Dallas Cowboys Radio Network")

On TV, Darren Fletcher and Aki Jones presented the BBC Red Button's coverage of the New York Jets @ Tennessee Titans, the final Monday Night Football game of the season with them taking ESPN's TV commentary and coverage as per usual. However, this was not BBC TV's last live NFL game of 2012, as they'll be providing live coverage of the Atlanta Falcons @ Detroit Lions game on Saturday night (Sunday morning our time) as it comes under ESPN USA's MNF package. 5LSE's live game on Sunday will be the New York Giants @ Baltimore Ravens game at 9.25pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cardiff Blues V Scarlets (RaboDirect Pro12 RU)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting) Nick Webb and Robert Jones (SE FM / SW FM / AM / Digital TV/Radio / Online) (North FM for first half hour or so)
    BBC Radio Cymru - Cennydd Davies (also host) and Emyr Lewis (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol

Ed Hadwin (studio host)

Bristol V Doncaster Knights - Damian Derrick and Matthew Jones (1548MW / DAB / Online)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 23rd December - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Greg Brady (in Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

American Football: NFL Week 16
    New York Giants @ Baltimore Ravens - Gerry Sandusky, Qadry Ismail and Stan White (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by WBAL 1090 AM - "The Ravens Gameday Radio Network")

On TV, Darren Fletcher and Rocky Boiman presented the BBC Red Button's coverage of the Atlanta Falcons @ Detroit Lions on Saturday, which was their last live game under the ESPN Monday Night Football package. The next live NFL action on BBC TV will be the Super Bowl.

During Sunday night's game, Greg Brady mentioned that they'll be broadcasting double headers throughout the playoffs, which I imagine will include live commentary on both Championship games. Save for the weekend of the Wembley game, they've not done a double header this season which I guess may have been a commitment that made way in light of their commitment to Monday Night Football on TV. This Sunday's game hasn't been confirmed yet but it will almost certainly be the Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings match at 9.25pm our time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Day - ESPN Radio

Marc Kestecher presented an NBA Doubleheader on ESPN Radio from the Bristol, Connecticut studios

National Basketball Association
    New York Knicks @ Los Angeles Lakers - Dave Flemming and Will Perdue (8pm GMT commentary)
    Oklahoma City Thunder @ Miami Heat - Kevin Calabro and Dr. Jack Ramsay (10pm GMT commentary)

You might recognise Dave Flemming as one of the commentators from the San Francisco Giants Radio Network in Major League Baseball, where he works with ESPN's former long-time lead baseball announcer Jon Miller, who did Sunday Night Baseball on TV and the MLB Playoffs on radio. It's the first time I've heard Flemming on ESPN Radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sad news to report - former England cricket captain and cricket commentator Tony Greig has died from a heart attack at the age of 66. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer two months ago.

Although Greigy was best known for his TV commentary work, primarily for Australia's Channel Nine, he spent a few years commentating on British radio for talkSPORT during the end of their spell holding the rights to England's winter cricket tours, reporting on the 2002/03 Ashes series for them before establishing himself as a robust presence on commentary during their highly-regarded coverage of England's tour to the West Indies in 2003/04.

Very sad to hear of his passing, although his playing career was before my time I enjoyed listening to his commentary work, particularly when he was paired with his long-time colleague and friend Mark Nicholas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PDC World Darts Championship Quarter Finals, London

IRN via BFBS Radio - Dan Dawson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newport-Gwent Dragons V Ospreys (RaboDirect Pro12 RU)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (host) Nick Webb and Garin Jenkins (All frequencies / Online)
    BBC Radio Cymru - Owain Llyr (host) Gareth Charles and Dwayne Peel (commentary / Online)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 30th December - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live NFL with Greg Brady and Danielle Michaud (in Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

American Football: NFL Week 17
    Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings - Paul Allen and Pete Bercich, with Greg Coleman on the sidelines (9.25pm GMT commentary provided by 100.3 FM KFAN - "The Vikings Radio Network")

5LSE will be broadcasting commentary on both of next Sunday's NFL Wild Card Playoffs.
    Forum Member
    Radio Sports New Zealand
    Tennis: ASB Classic (Auckland) Matt Brown and Lee Radovanovic (commentary and reports)
    Forum Member
    Radio 2000, South Africa
    Cricket: South Africa v New Zealand - First Test (Newlands, Cape Town) Natalie Germanos, Colin Brydon, Aslam Khota, Graig Morais, Hussein Manack, Peter Kirsten, Mtuleki Ntsubo, Lawrence Mahatlane and Bryan Waddle (commentary) with Andrew Samson (scorer)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great work on gathering up all of those international radio details Ian, particularly the Radio 2000 cricket commentary team. Whenever I have listened to their coverage before I have never managed to take note of their entire team, given the large number of commentators they use and how they rarely properly namecheck each other. Good effort!
    PDC World Darts Championship Quarter Finals, London

IRN via BFBS Radio - Dan Dawson

I hope you don't mind me being pedantic Ian (I'm sure you won't take offence to this, given that you have encouraged other people on here to never apologise for being a pedant in the past), but rather than IRN, Dan was reporting on behalf of the DLI Radio Sport agency for a wide variety of radio stations. He was also at the tournament conducting post-match interviews for the official PDC YouTube channel.

I know we all tend to group syndicated sports reports that are heard on numerous stations across the nation into the IRN bracket, but that isn't strictly correct as these updates are in turn being supplied to them via these agencies:

World Sports Communications - Premier League football, FA Cup and select England internationals (although judging by reporter choice Sky News Radio have a hand in these) and England home cricket internationals.
    Talking Rugby - rugby union: Six Nations, Autumn Internationals, England's summer tours, Heineken Cup, Amlin Challenge Cup, Aviva Premiership and the LV= Cup; occasional rugby league updates.
    DLI Radio Sport - various LTA tennis events including Wimbledon plus the other Grand Slams, PDC darts and World Snooker tournaments including both World Championships, PGA Tour golf events, major horse racing meetings including The Grand National and The Derby, Badminton England events, various squash tournaments and The Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT

Wednesday 12th December

Rugby Union: British & Irish Lions coaching staff announcement
    Hopetoun House, Edinburgh - Mark Saggers (compering)

Thursday 13th to Monday 17th December

Cricket: Fourth Test Match

Friday 14th December to Tuesday 1st January

Darts: PDC World Championship 2013
    Alexandra Palace, London - Dan Dawson

Saturday 15th December

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 3
    Harlequins v Zebre - Russell Hargreaves

Boxing: Light-Welterweight Contest
    Amir Khan v Carlos Molina - Sohail Sahi

Sunday 16th December

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 1
    Saracens v Munster - Nick Heath

Thursday 20th December

Cricket: First Twenty20 International

Saturday 22nd December

Cricket: Second Twenty20 International

London Irish v Leicester Tigers - Laurence Mora

Boxing Day

Horse Racing: King George VI Chase
    Kempton Park - Rupert Bell

Saturday 29th December

Harlequins v London Irish (Twickenham) - Russell Hargreaves
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Friday 4th January

BBC Hereford and Worcester

Aviva Premiership
    Dave Bradley: Worcester v Leicester
    Presenter:Trevor Owens
    Man with the fan:Carson Wishart
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Premiership Rugby
    Worcester v Leicester Tigers - Charles Dagnall presenting from Sixways, with commentary from Bleddyn Jones and Steve Johnson (19:45)