Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not realise that Cheers was available on the ITV Player. :cool: My pvr inexplicably failed to record the Wed 18.55 episode. No afternoon repeats this week, so luckily I found it on the player thingie.

I always thought the ITV Player was only for shows broadcast on ITV1.

I just realised this today as well Jimmy about Cheers available on ITV Player after my Sky+ failed to record the second episodes both on Wenesday and last night even though I have it on series link, something weird happening!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    My Freeview PVR also failed to record a couple of the episodes this week, even though it picked up the others and is on full series link. Thought it must be a glitch with my machine but now wondering if it's an "ITV4" problem?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just realised this today as well Jimmy about Cheers available on ITV Player after my Sky+ failed to record the second episodes both on Wenesday and last night even though I have it on series link, something weird happening!
    whitfield wrote: »
    My Freeview PVR also failed to record a couple of the episodes this week, even though it picked up the others and is on full series link. Thought it must be a glitch with my machine but now wondering if it's an "ITV4" problem?

It's definitely a problem with ITV4 as mine missed two recordings as well. Luckily the ITV Player is available. It must be something to do with not having afternoon repeats this week as it has never happened before.

My machine has picked up every episode for next week (so I hope it's back to normal now)
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I think Diane was a one-trick pony in Seasons 4 and 5, but in the first three Seasons, I reckon Diane was brilliant - intelligent, thoughtful, sensitive, witty, charming, pompous, etc - she was at her best in the first Season. I believe new writers came in in her last two Seasons and wrote her as a snooty shrew (the original Diane was never snobby - she was more of a pompous type of 'bleeding heart liberal' - though I hate that phrase!). Unfortunately, it's what Diane became that people remember. Similarly, Sam started off as streetwise and witty rather than educated, but he got progressively dumber as the show ran.

Diane was only annoying in parts of Season 5, she was just as good in Season 4 as she was in the first three. Season 5 made her unlikeable in a few episodes such as the one where Sam buys a house for them and she rejects it or the one where she takes Sam to court to force him to marry her.

Clearly this was done to try and make the viewers not miss Diane when Shelley left.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Diane was only annoying in parts of Season 5, she was just as good in Season 4 as she was in the first three. Season 5 made her unlikeable in a few episodes such as the one where Sam buys a house for them and she rejects it or the one where she takes Sam to court to force him to marry her.

Clearly this was done to try and make the viewers not miss Diane when Shelley left.

You may be right, I kind of jumble up Seasons 4 and 5 (because it's only the Coach years I have on DVD and so am most familiar with). I sometimes think that 'Diane' could have sustained her own spinoff along the lines of 'Frasier' - provided she was placed as the normal one alongside a more extreme character (like Frasier was with Niles). I could have seen a spinoff of her working on TV writing (as the character is said to have gone in to), with a more pretentious and bizarre relative (maybe even a 'Maris' type!) or even a 'common' buddy (eg. emulating the sparkling chemistry Long had with Bette Midler's character in Outrageous Fortune). Oh, what might've been... :D
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »

Never thought she was that likeable even in the early series.

And she was annoying from S2 as her shrew like, judgemental, me first character became firmly bedded in.

Rebecca was, and quickly, a much better character.

And loved the first "Bar Wars" episode last night.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glad that it was not my box, was weird that it missed the 1st episode one day and the 2nd episode the next. As luck would have it though CBS Drama are showing the 2 missed episodes next week on Monday and Thursday so I have just set them to record.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    Glad that it was not my box, was weird that it missed the 1st episode one day and the 2nd episode the next. As luck would have it though CBS Drama are showing the 2 missed episodes next week on Monday and Thursday so I have just set them to record.

Ah, now things are starting to make sense.
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV4 also repeat them at the weekend.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca's pursuit of Mr Drake was very funny - pity he was not made a regular character but I guess that would have taken away from Sam a bit.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca's pursuit of Mr Drake was very funny - pity he was not made a regular character but I guess that would have taken away from Sam a bit.

If I recall correctly, they basically replace Evan Drake with Robin Colcord (played by Roger Rees): another rich boss for Rebecca to chase.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favourite Frasier moments from Cheers is referenced by 'The Bloodhound Gang' in their song 'Take The Long Way Home'

'... Are you Evil Knievel jumping a train? Or running with scissors like Frasier Crane....'
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, they basically replace Evan Drake with Robin Colcord (played by Roger Rees): another rich boss for Rebecca to chase.

You were right about Rebecca Woot. You said she gets better after a slightly dodgy start, and you were spot on. I was not keen on her when she first arrived, but I love her now. Kirstie plays the part so well. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Ah, but what was the name of the pip-squeak executive who pursued her between those two men?

I confess to not being able to remember his name (Martin something?) but I did enjoy the ep where he arranged for Sam to be transferred to an island holiday resort thinking it would clear the way for him to woo Rebecca. That episode featured a native 'Norm', and one of my favourite lines about how Sam, after just a month on the island, was such a sexual legend that the natives sang folk songs about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Ah, but what was the name of the pip-squeak executive who pursued her between those two men?

I confess to not being able to remember his name (Martin something?) but I did enjoy the ep where he arranged for Sam to be transferred to an island holiday resort thinking it would clear the way for him to woo Rebecca. That episode featured a native 'Norm', and one of my favourite lines about how Sam, after just a month on the island, was such a sexual legend that the natives sang folk songs about him.

I remember Robin but not this other guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found a picture! He was called Martin Teal!

http://sharetv.org/images/medium/cheers/151255.jpg
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Just popped into to say Sky Series link also failed to record an Ep in mid-week, Wednesday I think, glad I'm not the only one, thought it was my box too, just means I'll have to record the repeats for a while till it catches up and I can go back to the 7pm recordings, I've got every Ep since S1 so I don't want to miss one now.......reminds me of that 'Frasier' ep when he finds out he's missing one of his radio recordings from his collection :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Found a picture! He was called Martin Teal!

http://sharetv.org/images/medium/cheers/151255.jpg

Gosh hes tiny! Really don't remember him at all.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know when Robin Colcord first appears I shall immediately announce

"GERALD!!!!"

Fans of The West Wing will understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    For me the funniest years of Cheers are when Kirstie Alley first joined,up until when Roger Rees(Robin Colcord) started:those years are some of the funniest years in the history of sitcoms.It's when Robin Colcord first enters the bar that for the first time in Cheers history there is a dip in quality,but a below par Cheers is still funnier than most sitcoms.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I disagree I think the best years of Kirstie Alley Cheers are definetly when Robin Colcord was in the picture (Season 8/9) by that point Rebecca had found her place in the show too as I feel in Season 6 & 7 she is still just a fill in for Shelley Long with no proper character purpose or identity.

Don't get me wrong I think Season 6 & 7 were both excellent and I loved the Evan Drake episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    loving the repeats. Just wish they'd scrap the bloody whisky sponsorships. They irritate to me to death.

One of the finest, most consistent sit coms ever though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIGDAZ wrote: »
    loving the repeats. Just wish they'd scrap the bloody whisky sponsorships. They irritate to me to death.

One of the finest, most consistent sit coms ever though

I created a thread about those bloody ads on the broadcasting forum! They are the most annoying things ever!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca is looking particularly attractive lately.