The Eight Doctors - Big Finish 50th Anniversary Audio Adventure

MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
Forum Member
For those disappointed that none of the classic series Doctors appear to be appearing in the TV 50th anniversary, you might want to cast your eye in the direction of Big Finish.

Its produced a stonking 50th anniversary story all of its own called The Light at the End, which stars all five of the remaining eight Doctors plus loads of classic companions too.

It all sounds very exciting!

November 23rd 1963 proves to be a significant day in the lives of all eight Doctors It's the day that Bob Dovie's life is ripped apart. It's also a day that sets in motion a catastrophic chain of events which forces the first eight incarnations of the Doctor to fight for their very existence. As a mysterious, insidious chaos unfolds within the TARDIS, the barriers of time break apart.

From suburban England through war-torn alien landscapes and into a deadly, artificial dimension, all these Doctors and their companions must struggle against the power of an unfathomable, alien technology. From the very beginning, it is clear that the Master is somehow involved. By the end, for the Doctors, there may only be darkness.

Cast
Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Sophie Aldred (Ace), India Fisher (Charley Pollard), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master) with special guest stars!

Comments

• bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have known this for months. Also how do you know none of the classic series doctors will make an appearance in the 50th anniversary episode? All that has been announced so far are the cast members who can be seen when filming outdoors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has the trailer etc in and a few comments already.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1798250&highlight=light+at+the+end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    We have known this for months.

Lol, I was trying to think of a politer way to say it.

But yes, it is very old news.

Very exciting news and, for me personally, much more exciting than what is on offer at the BBC.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    Also how do you know none of the classic series doctors will make an appearance in the 50th anniversary episode? All that has been announced so far are the cast members who can be seen when filming outdoors.

That's why I said "none of the classic series Doctors appear to be appearing in the TV 50th anniversary".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very possible that none of the classic Doctors will appear in the special. But will any of the classic Doctors be HEARD in the 50th Special?

<Can-Worms> ;)
    Forum Member
    It's very possible that none of the classic Doctors will appear in the special. But will any of the classic Doctors be HEARD in the 50th Special?

<Can-Worms> ;)

Ohyes! :)
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I don't care much for Big Finish outside of a few stories, and most of their multi-Doctor stories are geinuly terrible.

Give me the actual television special anyday. At least I know people of actual importance are going to watch and enjoy that, mainly the general public
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Give me the actual television special anyday. At least I know people of actual importance are going to watch and enjoy that, mainly the general public

What the hell does that mean?

They can exist together you know. Not sure what defines a person as important.

Fans can love both.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care much for Big Finish outside of a few stories, and most of their multi-Doctor stories are geinuly terrible.

I take it YOU'RE not planning to watch the 50th then? :D:D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have Big Finish ever really attempted a full multi doctor story-

The Sirens of Time was 3 x 1 part stories for doctors 5, 6 & 7 with limited Doctor interaction at the end. And it was fine.

Project: Lazarus isn't multi doctor.

Zagreus is Big Finish's Heaven's Gate, it's big and bold and great in places, but also way too long and a complete mess. And also not really multi doctor

The Four Doctors has one scene where Doctor 5 talks to Doctor 8, and one brief scene at end where 5-8 exchange pleasantries before the reset button is pressed. And it was pretty good in my 'umble opinion.

I guess my point is multi doctor stories are hard to do. It's worth noting that of course BF are a niche company delivering tradiitional Doctor Who stories in audio to the hardcore fans. They aren't going to try to reinvent the wheel at this point, it is what it is.

Oh and they get bonus points for this cover image this year: http://25.media.tumblr.com/80a627d976956b39aeecafaeeca4ec78/tumblr_mgo4vi4Gk21rdbuyao1_1280.jpg :D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I forgot Peri & the Piscon Paradox, in which the sixth doctor dresses like a fish and tries to beat up the fifth doctor for being annoyingly empathetic.

It maybe the greatest Doctor Who story of all time. :D

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/peri-and-the-piscon-paradox-495
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot Peri & the Piscon Paradox, in which the sixth doctor dresses like a fish and tries to beat up the fifth doctor for being annoyingly empathetic.

It maybe the greatest Doctor Who story of all time. :D

Oh, I bloody love that one. Second, for me, only to The One Doctor where Christopher Biggins plays a fake Doctor, defeating pretend alien invasions for money and travelling around in a make-believe TARDIS that looks like a portaloo. Another sixth Doctor classic.