Season 17: general discussion

1282930313234»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek fans constantly have little digs at the rest of the cast.

Len's rants are incredibly fake and are put on so that people think the show is not rigged for Derek. It's the same for his pre rehearsed comments.

Cite one instance where I have ever made even a single dig at any other member of the cast. You won't find it because I don't think that way, I appreciate ALL the cast members and am grateful for the entertainment they provide.

If you were referring to Val's belated tweet, that wasn't a dig but merely an observation. I've defended Val on a number of occasions and will continue to do so.

I could turn your statement around and say Derek haters never pass up an opportunity to knock him or his fans.

As for Len, if he's not sincere in his angry rants then he should go into acting because they seem genuine to me.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they care about ratings they are not doing a very good job because the finale got the lowest rating for the show. Derek has been given the best dancers with the big fan bases so obviously he is gonna do well with them. It also helps when you have the judges nit picking the other contestants and ignoring Derek's partners mistakes.

Sadly once you form a strong opinion on someone, you begin to see what you want to see.
    The ratings will always be down after 17 seasons. I don't think you appreciate how popular Zendaya was last year or Corbin this. You also ignore all the bias cheryl gets or any young male celeb.
    But sure, he gets help. Thank god if it means less amazing dancers like corbin, Zendaya, elizabeth, mya and melissa get wasted by less gifted and creative pros.
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »
    Sadly once you form a strong opinion on someone, you begin to see what you want to see.
    The ratings will always be down after 17 seasons. I don't think you appreciate how popular Zendaya was last year or Corbin this. You also ignore all the bias cheryl gets or any young male celeb.
    But sure, he gets help. Thank god if it means less amazing dancers like corbin, Zendaya, elizabeth, mya and melissa get wasted by less gifted and creative pros.

I think it's a poor excuse to say that the ratings are down because it's been on too long. The ratings are down because the show has become predictable and boring. The favouritism for Derek has turned the show into a farce.

The other pros are just as gifted and just as creative as Derek.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually ratings are up

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/26/abcs-dancing-with-the-stars-castle-grow-for-the-networks-most-watched-monday-in-8-months/218353/

Although it has been weakening for that 18-49 demo they so desperately want. The Voice is a huge competition for the young demographic. They seem to be much more interested in singing than dancing.

There is a spring season though which surprised me because I thought they were going to one season a year.
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a poor excuse to say that the ratings are down because it's been on too long. The ratings are down because the show has become predictable and boring. The favouritism for Derek has turned the show into a farce.

You do, really? You don't think 17 seasons over 8 years has a natural drop off? We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

As for the "The other pros are just as gifted and just as creative as Derek." comment, we must be watching different shows. Because ive been watching him out dance and out think all but maybe his sister since the show started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    fabulist wrote: »

Actually, I think you should say how popular Zendaya was this year, last season, as her season was season 16, happening on the 1st semeter of 2013. As DWTS has 2 seasons per year, I find it strange as people keep referring to a season that happened this year like it was last year. Anyway #just saying as there are so many experts of wikipedia here :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluemoon_B wrote: »
    Actually, I think you should say how popular Zendaya was this year, last season, as her season was season 16, happening on the 1st semeter of 2013. As DWTS has 2 seasons per year, I find it strange as people keep referring to a season that happened this year like it was last year. Anyway #just saying as there are so many experts of wikipedia here :-)

I mix up 'seasons' and 'years' all the time! So do some journalists.

But it's funny, after a couple has been eliminated it seems like eons ago even if we're still in the same season. Both Zendaya and Kellie seem like ancient history even though, as you point out, they were earlier this year.

Said with a straight face? Then where are their Emmy nominations or their DWTS special performances? Every pro was encouraged to submit ideas for special performances. Derek had 5 Emmy nominations and some unusual and memorable Results Show performances.

Where are those creative routines you say they are all capable of, their equivalent of the Futuristic Paso or 50s Paso? Can they do all the gymnastic tricks, jumps, flips and triple spins Derek does? Mark Ballas can and some new ones like Sasha can, but if the others have been doing them all this time I missed it. Tony held his hands out for Derek to flip backward off them in Derek's first pro routine with Tony, Elena and Julianne the season before he joined the show but never did any himself that I saw.

The very first DWTS show I saw was a rerun of the Season 2 finals. I literally stood up during Tony and Stacy's freestyle and exclaimed, "Those are first-lesson beginner steps! What the heck?" The judges agreed with me that they had been expecting "so much more."

I like all the pros and rarely, if ever, criticize them or their celebs. But I couldn't help but respond to your statement they are all equally gifted. I doubt even they would agree with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    In all fairness, when the cast was announced the general consensus was, with the exception of Valerie, Derek had the shortest straw with getting Amber! I mean, Elizabeth, Nicole, Christina, Leah, were all touted as having more innate talent, larger fan bases, then there was Amber's size etc. Derek really just did the best he could, and accentuated Amber's strengths at all times- her personality and her rhythm, and that's what got them to the final and won it for them!

No producer bias whatsoever this season for me- I even think if Derek had been given Valerie, the outwave of support for her might have carried her on top of Derek's fan base a lot further (She could have been this season's Bill E with Derek!) so I don't think it's possible for Derek to have won the "not with the ringah" title this series whoever he'd got!

That was definitely the consensus. The September 23, 2013 Star magazine featured all the couples and gave odds for each.

Here were the odds, from best odds to longest odds:

Corbin Bleu - 5 to 1
    Christina Millian - 6 to 1
    Elizabeth Berkley - 8 to 1
    Brant Daughterty - 10 to 1
    Leah Remini - 12 to 1
    Bill Nye - 13 to 1
    Amber Riley - 15 to 1
    Keyshawn Johnson - 17 to 1
    Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi - 20 to 1
    Jack Osbourne - 30 to 1
    Bill Engvahl - 40 to 1
    Valerie Harper - 60 to 1

And what they said about each couple:

Corbin Bleu: The High School Musical star is already a trained dancer. In fact, there have been complaints he's so experienced it's just plain unfair. Odds: 5 to 1

Christina Millian: Singer Christina is a schooled and polished performer. Having a two-time winner as partner won't hurt either. Odds: 6 to 1

Elizabeth Berkley: C'mon, if the one and only Nomi from Showgirls can't sex it up for a win, nobody can. Remember, she's a dancer, not a stripper. Odds: 8 to 1

Brant Doughterty: The Pretty Little Liars star doesn't have much dance experience but his pretty little smile and good looks may go a long way with younger female viewers. Odds: 10 to 1

Leah Remini: As her recent defection from the Church of Scientology proves, the King of Queens star isn't going to be intimidated by anybody. And as her stint on The Talk proved, she has the stilettos to shock. Odds: 12 to 1

Bill Nye
    : Dancing, after all, is physics--and limber Bill Nye The Science Guy knows more about that than the rest of these famemongers combined! Odds: 13 to 1

Amber Riley: The peppy Glee actress has rhythm galore, and she's whipping herself into shape. With four-time winner Derek by her side, she's almost guaranteed a long ride. Odds: 15 to 1

Keyshawn Johnson
    : The majority of DWTS winners have been athletes, and former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn was one of the best. Odds: 17 to 1

Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi: Snooki is in the best shape of her life, and though most of her experience with dance floors involves falling down drunk on them, sources say she's in it to win it. Odds: 20 to 1

Jack Osbourne
    : Having been diagnosed with MS, Jack is intent on enjoying his body to the fullest. Low expectations could make him a dark horse. Odds: 30 to 1

Bill Engvall
    : With his strong ties to the country music scene, the blue-collar comic could nab the heartland vote that drove Kellie Pickler's victory last season. Odds: 40 to 1

Valerie Harper
    : With her brain cancer in near full remission, Val's got more reason to dance--and fan support--than anybody. And, oh yeah, she was dancing on Broadway before most of these youngsters were even born. Odds: 60 to 1

Half the cast had better odds than Amber did.

From the first, Derek said Amber told him she had weak ankles. That was even before her knee problems. Then a couple of weeks before the finals, Amber texted him she thought she might have to drop out.

All that taken together, it's remarkable that Amber even finished the season, much less won.