Curious Co-incidences

AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just thought I'd start a little thread about various Doctor Who co-incidences over the years. One such interesting co-incidence is that on 23 November 1963 a horse called Call Box ran in a race and performed very erratically. That kind of co-incidence.

For me, I can offer a very interesting one. I work as a volunteer for the British Heart Foundation and when sorting the shelves I found a book on John F. Kennedy (assassinated on 22 November 1963) - "An Unfinished Life" written by a Robert Dallek. Considering at the time the production team were working on the first Dalek story at the time of the murder, it's an amazing co-incidence.

Comments

• Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    One I thought was amazing was how November 23rd 2013 just happened to be on a Saturday, like 1963.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    One I thought was amazing was how November 23rd 2013 just happened to be on a Saturday, like 1963.

Yeah I found that one out this time last year! Serendipity!
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Sylvester McCoy (The Seventh Doctor), Sohpie Aldred (Dorothy 'Ace' McShane) and Anthonly Ainley (The Master) all stared alongside each other in 'Survival' and share the same birthday "20 August 1932" :eek:
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy (The Seventh Doctor), Sohpie Aldred (Dorothy 'Ace' McShane) and Anthonly Ainley (The Master) all stared alongside each other in 'Survival' and share the same birthday "20 August 1932" :eek:

I doubt Sophie Aldred is 81 ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should mention I have a co-incidence with Jon Pertwee. I was born on 20 May. Jon died on 20 May 1996. A very sad day as I remember.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In March 1983 the BBC released multi Doctor publicity photos for its planned anniversary special in November. In March 2013 the first photos of an anniversary special were announced showing multi Doctors.

In 1983 there was a long wait between the end of the broadcast season and the special that seemed unbearable, just like 2013.

Peter Davison announced his departure from Who in July 1983 after he had taken over the role from one of the most popular ever Doctors. In June 2013 Matt Smith's departure was announced (probably early due to leaks!). Matt had also taken over the role from one of the most popular Doctor's ever. Both Doctor's had been in situ for 3 seasons.

In August 1983 the 6th Doctor was announced. In August 2013 the 12th Doctor was announced. Both were older than their predecessors who had been the youngest actors to play the Doctor.

In 1983, The Five Doctors was shown at simultaneous conventions in the USA on 23rd November but the UK had to wait until 25th November. This upset lots of fans in 1983 and it was reported that a 2 year old Saladfingers81 exploded with rage. A similar reaction was observed across the internet in 2013 when a convention in the USA was shown a trailer before the UK...
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »

I think Sylvester might be shocked to learn he's 81 given he was born in 1943. ;-)
  • Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bah, those are minor coincidences - here's a good one for you...

In Delta and the Bannermen, Murray the bus driver can be spotted reading a copy of The Eagle, which I have determined to be vol 9, no 16 (I recognise the Dan Dare story on the cover, the last episode of a story called 'The Ship that Lived') which is dated 18th April, 1958. Therefore, Delta and the Bannermen probably takes place on the week ending Friday, 18th April 1958.

Peter Capaldi was born on April 14th 1958, meaning that the only Doctor Who 50's story from the classic era was set on the very week, possibly the very day, he was born.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's one: the TARDIS bears an uncanny resemblance to many 1950 Police Boxes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bah, those are minor coincidences - here's a good one for you...

In Delta and the Bannermen, Murray the bus driver can be spotted reading a copy of The Eagle, which I have determined to be vol 9, no 16 (I recognise the Dan Dare story on the cover, the last episode of a story called 'The Ship that Lived') which is dated 18th April, 1958. Therefore, Delta and the Bannermen probably takes place on the week ending Friday, 18th April 1958.

Peter Capaldi was born on April 14th 1958, meaning that the only Doctor Who 50's story from the classic era was set on the very week, possibly the very day, he was born.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :)
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Listentome wrote: »
    I think Sylvester might be shocked to learn he's 81 given he was born in 1943. ;-)

My bad, Blame it on typing my message after a long night shift and no sleep ;)

I just hope Sylv doesn't try and make the coincidence on step further an depart the mortal coil on the 3 May 2015
  • Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    Now that's what I'm talking about! :)

Huh, I've barely started on Delta and the Bannermen yet...

It does, of course, guest star Don Henderson as Gavrok. Henderson has a scene in Star Wars, opposite the movie Doctor Peter Cushing, who, BY COINCIDENCE, just so happened to be the one other person seen reading a copy of the Eagle in Doctor Who's history (vol 16, no 12, dated 20 March 1965).

If Cushing had been reading vol 16, no 9 (just four issues earlier) the 'most exciting' thing he'd just finished could have been a short story by a certain D N Adams, aged 12, about a man who's lost a thing that's a bit like a sieve on a bus.

Adams uses this gag again in Shada, which, of course, was finally novelised by Gareth Roberts. Roberts' first TV episode was The Shakespeare Code, which starred David Tennant (birthdate - 18 April, the date of the copy of the Eagle in 'Delta') and Freema Agyeman (birthdate March 20, the date on the copy of the Eagle in the Dalek movie).

Adams' short story is also reprinted in the book 'Don't Panic!', which is by a young fellow called Neil Gaiman before he went on to write the Sandman comics. BY COINCIDENCE, 'Mister Sandman' is one of the songs performed by Keff McCulloch's band dring Delta and the Bannermen, and is also responsible for some rather dramatically inappropriate musical stings over a gag about having a memory like a... er, thing with holes in it... in the VHS release of Shada...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I just thought I'd start a little thread about various Doctor Who co-incidences over the years. One such interesting co-incidence is that on 23 November 1963 a horse called Call Box ran in a race and performed very erratically. That kind of co-incidence.

For me, I can offer a very interesting one. I work as a volunteer for the British Heart Foundation and when sorting the shelves I found a book on John F. Kennedy (assassinated on 22 November 1963) - "An Unfinished Life" written by a Robert Dallek. Considering at the time the production team were working on the first Dalek story at the time of the murder, it's an amazing co-incidence.

I salute you, sir.

Good thread.

Carry on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I salute you, sir.

Good thread.

Carry on.

Thank you. I really appreciate your sentiment. :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thank goodness this thread hasn't deteriorated into silly bickering and pointless discussions on trivialities unlike when I started a similar thread on the spooky coincidences surrounding anniversaries. Though I still think it's spooky that after the 20th Davison quit within 4 months and now on the 50th Matt Smith quits within 1! :D

I also think that it's weird that the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy are exactly the same age and were born two months apart. Baker June 1943, McCoy August 1943. (More spookily my Dad was born in February the same year!:D)

:)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    In March 1983 the BBC released multi Doctor publicity photos for its planned anniversary special in November. In March 2013 the first photos of an anniversary special were announced showing multi Doctors.

In 1983 there was a long wait between the end of the broadcast season and the special that seemed unbearable, just like 2013.

Peter Davison announced his departure from Who in July 1983 after he had taken over the role from one of the most popular ever Doctors. In June 2013 Matt Smith's departure was announced (probably early due to leaks!). Matt had also taken over the role from one of the most popular Doctor's ever. Both Doctor's had been in situ for 3 seasons.

In August 1983 the 6th Doctor was announced. In August 2013 the 12th Doctor was announced. Both were older than their predecessors who had been the youngest actors to play the Doctor.

In 1983, The Five Doctors was shown at simultaneous conventions in the USA on 23rd November but the UK had to wait until 25th November. This upset lots of fans in 1983 and it was reported that a 2 year old Saladfingers81 exploded with rage. A similar reaction was observed across the internet in 2013 when a convention in the USA was shown a trailer before the UK...

Ah the great temper tantrum of '83. I was throwing my toys out of the pram. Literally,
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It does, of course, guest star Don Henderson as Gavrok. Henderson has a scene in Star Wars, opposite the movie Doctor Peter Cushing, who, BY COINCIDENCE, just so happened to be the one other person seen reading a copy of the Eagle in Doctor Who's history (vol 16, no 12, dated 20 March 1965).

If Cushing had been reading vol 16, no 9 (just four issues earlier) the 'most exciting' thing he'd just finished could have been a short story by a certain D N Adams, aged 12, about a man who's lost a thing that's a bit like a sieve on a bus.

Adams uses this gag again in Shada, which, of course, was finally novelised by Gareth Roberts. Roberts' first TV episode was The Shakespeare Code, which starred David Tennant (birthdate - 18 April, the date of the copy of the Eagle in 'Delta') and Freema Agyeman (birthdate March 20, the date on the copy of the Eagle in the Dalek movie).

Adams' short story is also reprinted in the book 'Don't Panic!', which is by a young fellow called Neil Gaiman before he went on to write the Sandman comics. BY COINCIDENCE, 'Mister Sandman' is one of the songs performed by Keff McCulloch's band dring Delta and the Bannermen, and is also responsible for some rather dramatically inappropriate musical stings over a gag about having a memory like a... er, thing with holes in it... in the VHS release of Shada...

Round of a-flippin'-pplause...:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Ooh good thread, love finding out things like this!

Only one I could think of is this.
    Georgia Moffet played Jenny in the Doctors Daughter, who is the real life daughter of 5th Doctor Peter Davison and is now married to Tenth Doctor David Tennant.
    Which would mean the Doctor is his own father-in-law haha!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adams' short story is also reprinted in the book 'Don't Panic!', which is by a young fellow called Neil Gaiman before he went on to write the Sandman comics.

What a stupendous series of posts!!! Love it. Massive thanks.

If I can just tighten a small piece of the jigsaw up slightly, 'Don't Panic!' came out in 1987, the same year as Karen Berger (then Head of Vertigo Comics) put it to Gaiman during a talent search visit to the UK that he could take on the Sandman character for a series (after he had suggested it on their first meeting). The first issue, cover dated January 1989, was issued in October 1988.

Gaiman also said, at EdBookFest in August this year "When I was 15, I made a list of everything I wanted to do...write novels, write for films, write an episode of Dr Who and writing a comic was on there". Perhaps a bloody good thing he didn't put 'rule the Universe' on the list!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another strange co-incidence. Well, it involves other shows as well...

Some of the greatest Sci-Fi shows started in a year ending with three.

Quatermass - 1953
    Doctor Who - 1963
    The Tomorrow People - 1973
    V - 1983
    The X Files - 1993
    Doctor Who - 2003 (Revival announced)

As for 2013...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The letters page of a February/March 1974 edition of Radio Times featured some correspondence from a 15-year-old schoolboy in response to the magazine’s Dr Who special. “The Dalek construction plans will no doubt have inspired many a school to build their own Daleks,” suggested the young man. “Who knows, the country could be invaded by an army of school Daleks!” The youngster’s name? Peter Capaldi. Best known to many as spin doctor Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It, Capaldi is also familiar to Who fans as Caecilius in 2008 episode The Fires of Pompeii"

Taken from http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-11-23/doctor-who-48-facts-for-the-48th-anniversary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    DW anniversary weekend is always weird for me in that, the 22nd is the Kennedy assassination anniversary, the 23rd, Doctor Who, and the 24th is my birthday.
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Picked up my love for dr who with spearhead.. grew into addiction with tom baker.. read target novels continually. Collected the weetabix cards, bought the action man dr who figure and huge tardis, audio recorded ark in space onwards because they never seemed to get repeated then, eventually bought revenge of cybermen from a video RENTAL store years later for a massive amount of dosh (there were no sell through videos then). Big fan. really totally obsessed.. But it was only when i read up the background that i found that i was born on the day (and year) it first broadcast.... Yeah so on the 23rd i'll be 50 too - boo hoo. But at least i'll be getting the best 50th birthday present ever. :)
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue someone thinking they're the first person to notice Capaldi's credit in World War Z...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    So I was doing some reading just now on Pat Troughton's story The Mind Robber. It turns out the white robots were reused and painted white having previously featured in a BBC sci-fi programme on BBC2 called Out of the Unknown. This series ran in the 60's for four seasons of 13 episodes, just under half are missing like many Who episodes and those that do exist have never ever been released.

The story featuring the white robots is called The Prophet which is a serialisation of a short story called Reason by Isaac Asimov in 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(Asimov)

The story introduces a character called The Master, an energy source which is seen by robots as being god like.

The citation at the bottom of the wiki page says that orders are prefaced with "I am the Master".

Now then in the Mind Robber where the white robots appear we have a central character of The Master and...we all know what became of THE Master...."I am the Master...and you will obey me".