Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

Comments

• TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I feel really sorry for the cats that are locked in the cells. Surely somebody should take them to give them some space and exercise?
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Has the US put any women prisoners to death?

Yes, though rarely.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An appeal from this bloke in 2011
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    UK needs the death penalty badly , our justice system is the laughing stock of the world .

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it being re-introduced , not that it ever will be , all the do-gooders have pretty much ruined any chance of offenders ever being properly punished for there crimes .

Would miscarriages of justice make you lose sleep at night??

..................................................................................................

On a side note Trevor is no Louis Theroux....
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That fella creeped me out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Weird music
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to get a comparison between the life this guy leads on Death Row for killing a 24 year old Mother and her 4 year old Child and someone of similar or worse crime here in the UK. I would bet the difference would be night and day with regard to his lifestyle in prison, his attitude and his belongings from the Cell itself to what is contained in the Cell and what is on his person.

I think that would be quite a good comparison to see in a documentary. Might finally show some people that having a harsher justice system might actually benefit the UK in the long term, reduce over population of the Prisons and the re-offending rate might begin to fall. Hell (this might be too far) we might even get a bit of respect for the Law and those who represent it :O
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the prisoners would have watched that programme on the little tvs.
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant 2 part documentary! Sooo interesting and that last story with that inmate on death row.. He deserves to be there 110% in death row. What he did was horrendous!!

Trevor McDonald, what a legend! :D
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy that killed the mother and daughter is going to have a much more peaceful death than they had. If he thinks he deserves the death penalty, why is he appealing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy that killed the mother and daughter is going to have a much more peaceful death than they had. If he thinks he deserves the death penalty, why is he appealing?

didnt someone say earlier you have to appeal?

dont know american death row law to quote it tho
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephmcuk wrote: »
    Do you think the prisoners would have watched that programme on the little tvs.
    Depends if it would be shown on here which is ITVs American equivalent
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK needs the death penalty badly , our justice system is the laughing stock of the world .

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it being re-introduced , not that it ever will be , all the do-gooders have pretty much ruined any chance of offenders ever being properly punished for there crimes .

I agree. These days forensic science can prove without doubt that a certain person commited a crime and I would lose no sleep at night if we had the death penalty.
    You are right about the do-gooders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Depends if it would be shown on here which is ITVs American equivalent

mmm they may do eventually then ...just not straight away.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still amazed reason the first few pages of the thread. 13 is old enough to know that murder is wrong!

IMO murder is murder, no matter what age you are, no matter what age your victim was. They may be clever, they may seem to show to show remorse, but they took another's life and for that they don't deserve their life. I found myself saying 'You should have thought of that before you killed someone' every time a prisoner was moaning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Would miscarriages of justice make you lose sleep at night??

..................................................................................................

this isnt the 1970's , gaining conclusive evidence is as easy as making a cup of tea now .
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish!:rolleyes:
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this isnt the 1970's , gaining conclusive evidence is as easy as making a cup of tea now .

Was it the 70's when Barry George was wrongly convicted of murdering Jill Dando?
    There are others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    These days forensic science can prove without doubt that a certain person commited a crime.

I'm afraid forensic science is nowhere near close to being able to do that. Misinterpretation of evidence, contamination of evidence, suppression of evidence . . . these and many other human fallibilities still very much stand in the way of that goal.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »

I agree, Trevor was not super sharp at times and at times missed the mark with his questions

Still an interesting program though
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    F1etch wrote: »
    I would love to get a comparison between the life this guy leads on Death Row for killing a 24 year old Mother and her 4 year old Child and someone of similar or worse crime here in the UK. I would bet the difference would be night and day with regard to his lifestyle in prison, his attitude and his belongings from the Cell itself to what is contained in the Cell and what is on his person.

I think that would be quite a good comparison to see in a documentary. Might finally show some people that having a harsher justice system might actually benefit the UK in the long term, reduce over population of the Prisons and the re-offending rate might begin to fall. Hell (this might be too far) we might even get a bit of respect for the Law and those who represent it :O

Huuuuuuurrrrrrrr Dddddddddduuuuuuuuurrrrrr.:rolleyes:
    America has one of the highest prison populations in the word, and their re-offending rate isn't too rosy either:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the music on this show - anyone know what the theme tune was?

I felt less sympathy for the characters featured on Part II - there was no Sanford type this time.

One thing they downplayed last time was the violence inside these prisons so glad they acknowledged a bit this time with that guy being beaten up and dragged. I did wonder how all these murderers are allowed to roam freely together - it's just asking for trouble.

Too much time was spent with the guy on death row who'd murdered the mum and kid. I wish they'd featured more of the general prison conditions.

Also, why do the guys on death row have such massive, bright cells while everyone else is cooped up in tiny, dimly lit ones?
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    I agree, Trevor was not super sharp at times and at times missed the mark with his questions

Still an interesting program though

Agreed but fair play to him stepping up at the end and telling that man what he thought of his crimes!! I was waiting for him to get a clump.

Baer (?) is a disgusting human being. I swear he was smirking at times. Usually id put this down to nerves but after seeing his police tapes hes just a lying, raping murderer.
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone feels the need to contact that scumbag:

http://www.writeaprisoner.com/Template.aspx?i=z-910135
  • yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Baer (?) is a disgusting human being. I swear he was smirking at times. Usually id put this down to nerves but after seeing his police tapes hes just a lying, raping murderer.

Yet somehow he had a girlfriend in Germany, presumably a pen pal relationship. Whatever was she thinking :eek:

ETA just seen the above link, the crime is listed, the photo is creepy, yet people still write to him, why?