BBC HD to close, replaced with BBC Two HD

Comments

• chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    It would be like forcing Ofcom to operate the local tv franchises in Plymouth and Swansea because no local applicants came forward. Not realistic.

Or forcing the government to run the East Coast Mainline because nobody can afford to run.... oh.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Or forcing the government to run the East Coast Mainline because nobody can afford to run.... oh.

Indeed. :p
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Two weeks today for launch of BBC Two HD
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Two weeks today for launch of BBC Two HD

Wow, so exciting, the same thing but at a higher quality.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Same as BBC HD but longer hours. They seem to have been dropping much of the BBC Three and Four content over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Same as BBC HD but longer hours. They seem to have been dropping much of the BBC Three and Four content over time.

The BBC four content or some of it anyway was the best thing about BBC HD when I used to watch it. BBC three been naff for years to be honest.

The BBc have no idea, they really don't.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should you bother? You keep telling us that you don't watch live TV now and that you don't have or need a TV Licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Why should you bother? You keep telling us that you don't watch live TV now and that you don't have or need a TV Licence.

And this is one of the reasons why I don't. More channels, but more repeats. I have a look now and again on the Tv guide on the net and while there are some things that interest me, it is not enough to go back to watching live TV.

Even ITV seems to having more adverts than I thought could be possible, was at a friends place in the week and I am sure there was a advert every ten minutes.

BBC 4 used to be one of the better BBC channels and bringing some of the stuff to HD, even BBC style of HD was good. BBC

shame really, the BBC used to be good years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC four content or some of it anyway was the best thing about BBC HD when I used to watch it.
    Some of that content is, or will be, transferring to BBC Two. And going by next week's schedules, some archive BBC Two SD content (content that you would normally expect to see on BBC Two) will be transferring to BBC Four (Porridge and The Good Life for example). There seems to be more archive SD content appearing, presumably the channel is starting its transition to its post-DQF state.
    BBC three been naff for years to be honest.
    Strange then, as it gets good ratings from its core demograph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 'BBC Three is naff' depends on who you are as the content is aimed at a specific group so may not appeal to a wider section of the viewing public.

I wonder if BBC2 will continue with it's early morning old movies on Sunday's after it becomes BBC2HD. I've rather enjoyed the old black and white flicks they have put on so far.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Three has quite a clear young demographic. BBC Four is a jewel in broadcasting really, it'd be a shame if any more cuts were made to it.
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    BBC Three has quite a clear young demographic. BBC Four is a jewel in broadcasting really, it'd be a shame if any more cuts were made to it.

These are the reasons we need to hold into BBC HD when BBC Two is added. So the niche programming can still be viewed in HD and not squeezed into the 2 other channels also gives option to repeat through the night in HD clashes.

Also kids HD should be screened too from CBeebies & CBBC!!!
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    These are the reasons we need to hold into BBC HD when BBC Two is added. So the niche programming can still be viewed in HD and not squeezed into the 2 other channels also gives option to repeat through the night in HD clashes.

Ain't going to happen. It would make more sense to have CBBC/BBC 3 HD and /or CBeebies/BBC 4 HD than a mish mash channel of programmes from 4 different channels.

BBC HD was set up for a particular purpose which has now been fulfilled. Time to say bye bye to it IMO and press for HD versions of the remaining SD only channels instead.
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Ain't going to happen. It would make more sense to have CBBC/BBC 3 HD and /or CBeebies/BBC 4 HD than a mish mash channel of programmes from 4 different channels.

BBC HD was set up for a particular purpose which has now been fulfilled. Time to say bye bye to it IMO and press for HD versions of the remaining SD only channels instead.

It was a mishmash for 3 channels so why not 4
    plus if 24hrs would only be of benefit to ALL.

I don't think it's purpose was to be morphed into another station.

It's purpose, in my opinion, us to provide BBC programming in HD. I think BBC Two HD is launching and BBC HD is shutting down.

BBC HD must be retained, or rather reintroduced when the BBC comes to their senses.

We pay for the BBC to use their budgets to the best of its ability. Whatever the cost of BBC that should have been found through savings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a mishmash for 3 channels so why not 4
    plus if 24hrs would only be of benefit to ALL.
    4 channels (albeit 2 + 2) would make clashes even more inevitable, solving little.
    I don't think it's purpose was to be morphed into another station.
    No, because it is not. It is closing.

It's purpose was to showcase BBC HD programming in order to raise public awareness of HD. that purpose has been fulfilled.
    BBC HD Programme Policy 2009/2010

Service remit

The remit of the BBC HD channel is to offer a mixed-genre schedule of programming in high-definition (HD) format, most of which has been originated by the BBC's other television channels.
    Delivering the BBC's purposes in 2009/2010

As BBC HD commissions only a very small proportion of its own output, its responsibility for contributing to the promotion of most of the BBC's public purposes relates in large part to ensuring that the relevance and appeal of the BBC's television programmes are maintained as consumer expectations for HD content grow. It aims to showcase in HD the full range of content produced for the BBC's other channels to ensure that the BBC's overall ability to deliver its public purposes is not damaged with shifts in viewing to high-definition content and channels.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/statements2009/television/bbc_hd.shtml

BBC HD must be retained, or rather reintroduced when the BBC comes to their senses.

We pay for the BBC to use their budgets to the best of its ability. Whatever the cost of BBC that should have been found through savings.
    Sorry, but "whatever the cost" means that it is done regardless as to the value to the public (by way of cuts to other BBC services and programmes), regardless of the perceived value of those benefits, regardless of the impact upon other budgets and services. A potentially reckless approach at the best of times, never mind when cuts have already been made

That is not a sensible approach, neither would that approach be likely to meet with BBC Trust approval.
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news will be in HD from 18th... they just shown the last news at TV centre 7 and at the end they announced the last broadcast and if you look the 6 and 10 news is HD (and I think the weather)
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    The news will be in HD from 18th... they just shown the last news at TV centre 7 and at the end they announced the last broadcast and if you look the 6 and 10 news is HD (and I think the weather)

It may have been the last '6' but there is still the '10' tonight plus the weekend bulletins plus the News Channel until Sunday night from TVC.
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been the last '6' but there is still the '10' tonight plus the weekend bulletins plus the News Channel until Sunday night from TVC.

last one from studio 7 at TVC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21809442
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... plus the News Channel until Sunday night from TVC.

BBC News (the channel) switches to NBH at 1pm on Monday according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21741690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    BBC News (the channel) switches to NBH at 1pm on Monday according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21741690
    I still find that report rather odd in that respect

I would have thought that the BBC News Channel would move overnight on Sunday whilst the feed is taken from BBC World News. then, at 8:30am Monday morning the UK feed takes over from BBC Breakfast (where the News Channel customarily separates from the BBC Breakfast feed). Simon McCoy and fellow presenter would then be settled into the new studio (along with studio & production staff), ready to go.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member

I would have thought that the BBC News Channel would move overnight on Sunday whilst the feed is taken from BBC World News. then, at 8:30am Monday morning the UK feed takes over from BBC Breakfast (where the News Channel customarily separates from the BBC Breakfast feed). Simon McCoy and fellow presenter would then be settled into the new studio (along with studio & production staff), ready to go.

There are more factors to consider. There is no reason that the old studio has to be 'turned off' before the new can begin. Technical reasons are not the only consideration.

The news channel will need a live studio available should a major news story break. This means that it's inevitable that old and new will have to run parallel for a short period during the transition. So it really doesn't matter when the change happens. The flagship lunchtime bulletin would seem as good a point to launch as any other.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you want to do it quietly then you switch during the night. If you want to make the biggest launch you do it at 6pm.

I think they've picked a middle ground. Launch with the 1pm news on BBC1 (it is flagged as HD in the Sky EPG, I've not checked Freeview but I assume that is too) - gives you a few hours to fix any issues before the even more important 6pm news - slightly less egg on face if it goes wrong in some way.

If you read Rory Cellan-Jones on twitter you'll have seen that they made a pilot 6pm news at NBH on Friday - https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/312629129126244352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    There are more factors to consider. There is no reason that the old studio has to be 'turned off' before the new can begin. Technical reasons are not the only consideration.

The news channel will need a live studio available should a major news story break. This means that it's inevitable that old and new will have to run parallel for a short period during the transition. So it really doesn't matter when the change happens. The flagship lunchtime bulletin would seem as good a point to launch as any other.
    Yes, good points actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let your views be known http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/have_your_say Children's Service Review
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC should launch a HD Red Button Service which could show programmes from BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC & Cbeebies. This will be cheaper to run than the existing BBC HD channel as it won't be showing content as a stand alone channel. On the channels a red banner will show on the screen similar to BBC News for a couple minutes saying ' Press Red to watch in HD'. It does seem a shame programmes like Blue Peter are not shown in HD it seems like a step back. If a new Red Button HD service was launched more BBC programmes could be viewed in this format.

I think it is a good idea to have BBC Two HD but they should still have another service showing BBC content.