Bush Freeview HD Set Top Box DH2636

Hello Digital Spys!

Be gentle with me; it's my first time.

Two mysteries there be in the realm of the Bush Freeview HD Box DH 2636.

Firstly - Allegedly, "The Box" features upscaling technology to improve DVD image clarity.

There's one HDMI socket, (I have this connected to the TV, which also has one HDMI socket.)
There's one SCART socket. Do I connect the DVD player to thIs to improve DVD image clarity?

Secondly - "The Box" csn record to a USB device.

However, when I tried recording to a USB Memory Stick; it didn't stop at the prearranged time,
and I couldn't get it to stop no way no how! Had to turn "The Box" off, AND NOW THE MEMORY
STICK IS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!!

Any help much appreciated. I thank you.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a HD TV then that is upscaling the DVD images anyway. Unless your TV is particularly crap at upscaling I can't see a cheap make like Bush having a very much better circuit.

And it won't improve anything. Upscaling cannot create detail that is not present in the original. It basically (in very crude terms) invents extra pixels to fill in the gaps between SD and HD resolutions. How well it does this determines how good a picture results.

As for recording. I doubt the USB stick is truly dead just that the file system is probably corrupted as a result of you turning it off. I would suspect that if you plugged it into a computer you could reformat it and get it working. Assuming it was working properly in the first place. It could have failed in use causing the problem you experienced.

Either that or the USB stick is some fake knock off and isn't what you paid for. There are unscrupulous so and so's out there who sell fake sticks that claim to be xGB capacity but in reality are only a fraction of that. If you used one of those then that might have caused the box to throw a wobbly.

And of course you can't discount the possibility that the box is faulty. Though if you want record functionality you might be better getting a proper PVR which gives you many more options than just a plain receiver with a USB stick stuck in the back :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks! You're right, the memory stick was a cheapy one. I'm now using a HDD from a old
    laptop and it's all Hunky Dory. :cool:
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is not a problem for me - I do not use USB with it. My problem is that it turns itself off every 3 hours.

If you are watching it for longer than 3 hours it will switch itself onto standby and you cannot overide that it would appear.

I mistakenly put the question in a different forum and should have put it in here. Has anyone else found this happens? If you change channels rfegularly it stays on but left on it turns itslef off.

Not good as it gives a poor picture on the telly when it is in standby mode because it is looped through the arial socket.

I am considering taking it back. Has anyone elsse had this issue?
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a menu option called "Auto Sleep", which you will need to set to OFF (select off, and press the OK button, it won't take effect if you don't press OK).

This will disable the auto power off. (As long as it has a working RF input - it will still go to sleep if there's no TV signal).