Itunes does not fit on my screen properly, can anyone tell me what's wrong?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys this is probably a silly question but my recently updated itunes is too large for my laptop screen. I've searched online and found plenty of answers relating to the same problem on macbooks but mine is not a mac and I can't understand it.

My screen resolution is the maximum/recommended and everything else I run is fine. So the bar (used to scroll) at the side is not visible, the bottom of the screen isn't visible and the top also looks like its cut off (the "now playing" bar is right on the limit of the screen).

Sorry I am not really very good with computers but really appreciate if there are any suggestions :o

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Apple doing what it knows is best for its users again. Its turned all the panes off in the latest version including the bloody menu bar. If you press Alt+F when iTunes is open, then go to the view menu, you can turn all the panes back on that you wish.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iTunes doesn't 'fit' my screen properly either.

Apple are either making the Windows version of iTunes rubbish on purpose, or they are incompetant. Either way, it's annoying.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you guys have the Tuneup plugin/program installed as this causes issues in terms of fitting on the screen.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    Hi guys this is probably a silly question but my recently updated itunes is too large for my laptop screen. I've searched online and found plenty of answers relating to the same problem on macbooks but mine is not a mac and I can't understand it.

My screen resolution is the maximum/recommended and everything else I run is fine. So the bar (used to scroll) at the side is not visible, the bottom of the screen isn't visible and the top also looks like its cut off (the "now playing" bar is right on the limit of the screen).

Sorry I am not really very good with computers but really appreciate if there are any suggestions :o

what is the resolution of your screen? are you using a small netbook or similar ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same problem here. When you hit the Maximise button, it doesn't fill the screen correctly. It makes the window slightly too big for the screen.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was just me!

The way I get round it is to manually reduce the size of the window slightly then hit the maximize button.

Very strange.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    what is the resolution of your screen? are you using a small netbook or similar ?

Nowt to do with the resolution.

Its to do with apple bloody changing things for the sake of it. Doesn't fit on any of my machines either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies everyone so its not just me then! But no solution how annoying
    Skiller thanks that does work how bizare
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you guys using screens from the 1950's? What resolutions are you using?

Just double click the title bar, that will expand it to fill the screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Are you guys using screens from the 1950's? What resolutions are you using?

No it doesnt . Even I did think of that ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Yep, that works for every bit of software, except iTunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I've never understood the hatred towards the Windows version of iTunes (apparently the Mac version is very good, understandably so). But this little problem is completely against Windows usage - when you maximize, it should fill your screen, not go beyond it!

It seems to me that someone on the development team really has gone out of their way to do something fancy and then half-way through gave up and went to the pub and forgot what they were working on when they came back.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Yep, that works for every bit of software, except iTunes.

It works on my system iTunes 11.0.1.12, duble click either side of the rectangle with the apple log in, in the light grey areas that have the play, volume, etc... and the search box, the window will then go full screen with nothing outside the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    It works on my system iTunes 11.0.1.12, duble click either side of the rectangle with the apple log in, in the light grey areas that have the play, volume, etc... and the search box, the window will then go full screen with nothing outside the screen.

I guess someone is going to have to post some screenshots to show that it doesn't work...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess someone is going to have to post some screenshots to show that it doesn't work...

We need a screenshot. I've just tried it on the latest build, and it works as expected, when both double clicking the grey area and clicking the maximise button next to close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need a screenshot. I've just tried it on the latest build, and it works as expected, when both double clicking the grey area and clicking the maximise button next to close.
    Here's mine.

You can clearly see, along with my obsession with Vicky Coren, that the scroll bar on the right is nowhere to be seen as it is beyond the right of the screen.

V11.0.1.12
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I manually resized the window to fit the screen, and it's stayed the right size each time I use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    Here's mine.

You can clearly see, along with my obsession with Vicky Coren, that the scroll bar on the right is nowhere to be seen as it is beyond the right of the screen.

V11.0.1.12
    Yes, that's exactly what I get. My screen res is 1680x1050. What's yours?

I might even try and do a video to show it 'not working'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's exactly what I get. My screen res is 1680x1050. What's yours?

I might even try and do a video to show it 'not working'.
    Mine is a pitifully poor 1366x768, but I'm pretty sure the resolution has nothing to do with this. It's Apple's piss-poor attempt at accommodating Windows.

Btw, I'm not anti-Apple. I have an iPod and an iPad; so I'm being very objective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've solved this issue now, and I was actually being quite stupid.

The window in the screenshot above isn't in a maximised state. For some reason it's bigger than the screen and I don't know why - it's what happened to mine.

Basically drag that window so that you can see the a corner, reduce the size to less than the screen, then click the maximise button and it should now fit the screen correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The window in the screenshot above isn't in a maximised state. For some reason it's bigger than the screen and I don't know why - it's what happened to mine.

Basically drag that window so that you can see the a corner, reduce the size to less than the screen, then click the maximise button and it should now fit the screen correctly.
    ...but that is exactly what I said in post #7 !

Btw, my earlier screenshot was when it first opens. After clicking the max button, I get this - which is just as bad. It just toggles between the two unless I do the thing we have both described.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's you being stupid, it's Apple. They don't have a clue how to write a proper programme for Windows. Which is really strange given they depend more on people using Windows than OSX. If they want people to switch to macs, incompetence isn't a way to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    ...but that is exactly what I said in post #7 !

Btw, my earlier screenshot was when it first opens. After clicking the max button, I get this - which is just as bad. It just toggles between the two unless I do the thing we have both described.

Oops, sorry, I missed your earlier post!

I only had to take the action we both described once, and now it operates normally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops, sorry, I missed your earlier post!

I only had to take the action we both described once, and now it operates normally.
    No need to be sorry, it's Apple that should be doing that!

It seems to be a bit random for me. If I have adjusted it to be correctly maximized then it will open correctly later, but only recently later. If I open it a bit later, it will revert to my first screenshot.

I'm not sure if it's time limited or maybe a logon/off issue. Either way, Apple have a developer who needs a ticking off.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a bigger screen.

/jk