Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
Forum Member
I know some of these have already had threads a while ago, but just for a refresh as its relevant:

1. Who wants the question to be asked?
2. Who wants silence to fall?
3. Who wants The Doctor to reach Trenzalore?
4. Who blew up the TARDIS?
4a. And who has enough power to do so?
5. As one of the DW team have said "fans will not guess the question" Anyone want to have a guess the question? ;)

Finally on Clara, from the Prologue we can see that The Doctor (most likely) is literately just bumping into Clara, so basically, how is that happening?

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    1. Nobody we know about.
    2. The Silence. It's their task to bring about the Doctor's silence.
    3. Nobody we know about.
    4. The Silence.
    5. What, the question that we already know about?
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 The question that is hidden in plane sight... Doctor who?

4a we don't know how much power the silence has but they obviously are very powerful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure Dorian said "silence will fall" meaning the movement known as the silence would fall if the doctor reaches trenzalore.
    How did the tardis blow up? I didnt think it was explained who was controlling it when river was in it.
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took it that the TARDIS blew itself up to protect the Earth when the stars were disappearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 River says an external force is acting on the Tardis but what if it was in part her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Dorian said "silence will fall" meaning the movement known as the silence would fall if the doctor reaches trenzalore.
    How did the tardis blow up? I didnt think it was explained who was controlling it when river was in it.

No, I believe he said "silence must fall would be a better translation" and that the silence are determined the Doctor must never reach Trenzalore.

Basically, the question will be asked at Trenzalore. The Silence are determined the question must not be answered and that it is met by silence/no answer; silence must fall when the question is asked. The best way for them to do this is to stop the Doctor ever getting there, hence their attempts on his life in Series 6.
  • cuccircuccir Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    As above - it took me a while to get there, but suddenly the whole of series 6 seemed to make a bit more sense when I realized that one or both of The Silence and Matt Smith's Doctor must 'fall' at Trenzalore. As The Silence are worried that this will be them, they spent much of series 6 trying to kill the Doctor.

I'm not sure if we are meant to read this back into the exploding Tardis at the end of Season 5 as well, but it's possible (in fact, given the Silence's mind-control powers, could it have been them 'behind' the alliance in The Pandorica Opens.... but that's more speculative!)
    --
    Oh and another thing... I'm still not 100% convinced that it's coincidental that the first River Song episode was called "Silence in the library"...
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    No, something terrible will happen when the question is asked at Trenzalore - and the Order of the Silence were formed to stop that from happening, by bringing about the Doctor's silence. That's the silence that they believe must fall. There's not actually anything in the 'prophecy' that says that the Doctor has to be present, or that the Doctor is the one asking, or being asked, the question.
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    I took it that the TARDIS blew itself up to protect the Earth when the stars were disappearing.
    The problem with that is that it's the blowing up of the TARDIS itself that caused the stars to disappear. Protect the Earth from the destruction of the universe by blowing up the universe? We don't know how the Silence engineered the attack on the TARDIS - but it seems suspicious that River was present at the time - but the voice assuring the Doctor that silence will still fall seems to indicate they knew about the attempt.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    FATCHOPS wrote: »

Nope - the TARDIS blowing up was what caused the cracks, which were what was disappearing the whole of the universe, including the stars.

The TARDIS put itself into a loop to 'save' River (she just happened to be the occupant, not because it was her), and that is what meant the earth could survive longer.

The implication was that The Silence (the order) was the organisation behind it. That has been verified by SM in the Radio Times, the evidence of which has been posted in this forum many times. But that could be changed, as it was never explicitly stated in the show.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Nope - the TARDIS blowing up was what caused the cracks, which were what was disappearing the whole of the universe, including the stars.

In Moffatt's Who, cause and effect don't run so clearly. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided that the Tardis blew itself up because it needed to save the Earth given that the universe was already collapsing because the Tardis had blown itself up.