Nokia Lumia 520 ?

RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been looking around for an entry-level Smartphone, and the Nokia Lumia appears to have decent specs for the money.
I can't see myself as a heavy user, though I would appreciate a bit of web browsing "on the go". Apart from that, I would just be a light, casual user.
It will be my first smartphone, so I want something fairly easy to use. I've got an iPad and that's a doddle of course, but I certainly don't want to spend a fortune on an iPhone.

I suppose the question I'm asking is, are any of the budget smartphones worth getting, or will I be disappointed ? The prices these days seem almost too good to be true for all the different facilities included..what's the catch ?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 520 is an excellent smartphone at the budget end. Windows Phone has always worked well even with lower specs. The 520 comes with a number of apps built-in such as the Here Drive for Satnav, Nokia Music gives you free music, free camera lenses etc. I also think Windows Phone is quite an easy system to use. The main thing I would encourage you to do is customise the home screen to your taste (i.e. choosing which tiles you want on your homescreen, where you want them and how big you want them to be).

With Android there is a large difference in experience between top-end and low-end handsets.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The 520 is an excellent smartphone at the budget end. Windows Phone has always worked well even with lower specs. The 520 comes with a number of apps built-in such as the Here Drive for Satnav, Nokia Music gives you free music, free camera lenses etc. I also think Windows Phone is quite an easy system to use. The main thing I would encourage you to do is customise the home screen to your taste (i.e. choosing which tiles you want on your homescreen, where you want them and how big you want them to be).

With Android there is a large difference in experience between top-end and low-end handsets.

That's most helpful, thanks a lot. The online reviews appeared to be good, and with your confirmation I'll probably give it a try.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking around for an entry-level Smartphone, and the Nokia Lumia appears to have decent specs for the money.
    I can't see myself as a heavy user, though I would appreciate a bit of web browsing "on the go". Apart from that, I would just be a light, casual user.
    It will be my first smartphone, so I want something fairly easy to use. I've got an iPad and that's a doddle of course, but I certainly don't want to spend a fortune on an iPhone.

I suppose the question I'm asking is, are any of the budget smartphones worth getting, or will I be disappointed ? The prices these days seem almost too good to be true for all the different facilities included..what's the catch ?
    The only major miss with the 520 is 4G but that's to expected on such a cheap handset.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's most helpful, thanks a lot. The online reviews appeared to be good, and with your confirmation I'll probably give it a try.

One thing you should be aware of is that with the RAM limitation some apps from the store won't work on it (mainly some games).

But if you're not really going to use much beyond the primary apps like web browser, email, music etc then it's not such a big deal.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since you already have an iPad and like using it you know you can iPhone 4 deals from as little as £17 a month now with the phone for free?
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Nokia is a cracking phone. At entry level, you are much better getting one than the cheap androids in my experience. Very slick fast and to the point.
  • StrenaStrena Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I've had the 520 for a few weeks now and am very happy with it. It's easy to use and the interface is clean and uncluttered. I've moved from an Android HTC handset which became sluggish and kept falling over, so the 520 is wonderful in comparison!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this phone has a voice recorder? I have the phone and can't find out if/how I can record.

Thanks
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this phone has a voice recorder? I have the phone and can't find out if/how I can record.

Thanks

Check marketplace, there's an app for that :D It's not a part of OS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    The only major miss with the 520 is 4G but that's to expected on such a cheap handset.

Personally I'd say the only major thing it's missing is a flash for the camera.. I think 3G speeds are more than adequate for most people.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as someone else said, you may have some limitations with some of the apps you can get since its low RAM, especially games.

If you could check out the Nokia Lumia 820 which is still pretty cheap, especially if you get a refurbished handset and you'll get the full works with 0 limitations.

But I can vouch for Windows Phone I love it and will be upgrading my 900 to a 925 in a couple of days!
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Nokia Lumia, as an entry level smartphone you won't go wrong OP.
  • ianredianred Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Had mine 2 weeks £115 on PAYG (Vodafone). Wanted to try this entry level as when my contract is up was looking at a higher end Lumia. So far really happy with it. Has all the features of my iphone 4 and really like the OS. Only 2 minor things. The screen is forever getting covered in fingerprints, but I can live with that. The other is when I loaded my music on it, it was forever duplicating the tracks. I've now sorted this by turning off the xbox music options. Apart from all that, would recommend it.