Do you trust CEX?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.cex.co.uk

A shop I've bought countless games from in the past and I am currently in the process of selling my Xbox 360 Elite on eBay. (Sent it off today just waiting for the money to come through)

Basically my point is CEX are selling 40GB PS3's for £210.00 and I only have a limited budget so my question is should I buy this.

My only doubt is my older brother has told me CEX consoles are all stolen and I won't be able to play because of a serial number?

Help?

Comments

• CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your eldest brother is having you on or he's been mis-informed

They're not stolen consoles, they're consoles that have come from other customers, normally directly from the stores themselves
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought they were stolen only problem is they don't have the console I want in my local shop so I'd have to go out of my way to get it meaning if there was any problems it would be annoying.

Only reason I'm making sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought they were stolen only problem is they don't have the console I want in my local shop so I'd have to go out of my way to get it meaning if there was any problems it would be annoying.

Only reason I'm making sure.

Their stock is dependant on when they come in store, they literally run a second hand business, so if no store has the console you want they won't be able to help

With a console, i always recommend buying brand new, especially with this generation as no console is safe from break downs and if you buy brand new you're protected with the manufacturer for 12 months, something you can't get when you buy second hand

Here is the apparent cheapest brand new PS3 you can buy:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/15473/Playstation-3-Console-PS3-40Gb--PRICE-PROMOTION--PS3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So would you recommend me buying it from CEX or do you think I should get it brand new? I'd rather get it brand new but I kind of messed up with my finances. (I'm only 15 btw)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would you recommend me buying it from CEX or do you think I should get it brand new? I'd rather get it brand new but I kind of messed up with my finances. (I'm only 15 btw)

Awwww only little hahaha just kidding

I would definitely recommend buying it brand new, you get a protection with it when you get it brand new that you can't from getting it second hand, and that should justify the need to get it new imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a console brand new everytime. So it messes your finances up a little bit for a few weeks. So what it'l be worth it in the long run.

And to sell to CEX you have to supply ID so if a console came back as stolen they could trace the person who sold it to them anyway. (As far as I'm aware).

Its Cash Converters you wanna be wary of they will buy any old shit without ID if the boss isn't around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    N43 wrote: »

That says customer returns though so in other words its second hand.

Buy it brand new OP dont risk a preowned console.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I bought my PS3 from CEX about 2 years ago, never had any problems and has been as good as new.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Cash Converters you wanna be wary of they will buy any old shit without ID if the boss isn't around.

No they don't - it's a popular misconception.

I've got no issue with any shops like CEX or Cash Converers/Generators.

I've had kit out of all of the above and it's all been fine.
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the buyithere.co.uk PS3s come with a standard 1 year warranty I can't really see any reason not to buy them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't - it's a popular misconception.

I've got no issue with any shops like CEX or Cash Converers/Generators.

I've had kit out of all of the above and it's all been fine.

You might have a decent Crap Converters where you are but all the ones I've been in have staff in there that will just take anything ID or not.

CEX is fine I buy from them all the time.
  • rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive used cash converters and cex stores and i can say that cash converters have had a lot of stolen stuff sold to them and now when u sell them somthing , they take a photo of you and need id/bills to prove its you, cex ,you only have to take a item in and thats it.
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    I don't mind buying frm them as you can find a few bargains but I could never bring myself to selling anything to them...... they offer stupid prices and mark them up for a hell of a lot more I would just feel ripped off if I sold anything to them
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rock8633 wrote: »
    ive used cash converters and cex stores and i can say that cash converters have had a lot of stolen stuff sold to them and now when u sell them somthing , they take a photo of you and need id/bills to prove its you, cex ,you only have to take a item in and thats it.

Yeah, photo ID is now compulsory in cash generators/convertors.

the fact that the staff in some might take any old tat is down to the staff and poor management - not a reflection of the chain as a whole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    Awwww only little hahaha just kidding

I would definitely recommend buying it brand new, you get a protection with it when you get it brand new that you can't from getting it second hand, and that should justify the need to get it new imo

According to their website, CEX have a 12-month warranty on all their goods. New is nice, but I don't think second hand is a massive risk.
  • rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andybno1 wrote: »
    I don't mind buying frm them as you can find a few bargains but I could never bring myself to selling anything to them...... they offer stupid prices and mark them up for a hell of a lot more I would just feel ripped off if I sold anything to them

i know what you mean i selled a dvd recorder many years ago when they were just hitting the market, they gave me £40 cos they said they was no demand, i went in the shop next day and they were selling for £150 and they sold it..i just shop there now as you said its cheap..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RisskoJo wrote: »
    According to their website, CEX have a 12-month warranty on all their goods. New is nice, but I don't think second hand is a massive risk.

Thats true. I brought my 40GB PS3 from CEX over a year ago and got a 12 month warrany on it. Which is the same as buying it new from a store anyway. One tip though, when you go into CEX to buy one, if they have multiple consoles, ask to look at the quality of them and take the best one. The one I brought had no scratches whatsoever, but some of the others the store had at the time were dirty looking.
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought and sold loads of stuff with CEX - they've got a lot of things I don't like (biggest being their "we'll give you cash" policy not including "when we can be arsed" on it) but aside from the odd dirty discs (which they've then swapped) they're perfectly fine to deal with. You've as much chance of stolen stuff as any other second hand shop, but as said above you have to give ID when you trade something so it should be OK.

BUT

As also said above, buy new if you can - you'll have much better peace of mind, and that's very important with this fragile generation.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TMLS313 wrote: »
    but as said above you have to give ID when you trade something so it should be OK.

You only need ID to sell for cash, you dont need any ID to trade games or sign up for the membership card.

I quite like CEX myself, a new one opened nearer to my home a couple of months ago and most of the games I have traded since then has been with CEX, there sale price for used games is the same as Gamestation but CEX normally give more money for the game been traded.

The new CEX is also clean and doesn't smell unlike the other CEX stores I have visited in the past.
  • alexdn32alexdn32 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    rock8633 wrote: »

Cash Converters have been taking photos since 2004. They also supposed to take ID and contact details , be it cash , credit , gift voucher or Part ex. Also a lot of stores have a good relationship with the local police regarding stolen goods. As for the other reasons , it really is down to poor management.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All CEX consoles are stolen lol, that's a good one :D

Most stores like Game, Gamestation & CEX offer some warranty on 2nd hand consoles too.
    As long as you take some cover for it you should be fine buying 2nd hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    two things - I bought my PS3 from CEX in January this year - no issues with it since buying it - came fully boxed

anyhow, the other thing I wanted to ask is getting it covered under insurance - who can I go with now the continuous play thing has disappeared and what should I expect to pay for a years cover
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I decided to get a brand new one from ASDA for £289.99 80GB no games. The games I now have are Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty:World at War and Killzone 2. Soon to have Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising and Modern Warfare 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I decided to get a brand new one from ASDA for £289.99 80GB no games. The games I now have are Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty:World at War and Killzone 2. Soon to have Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising and Modern Warfare 2.

Asda have recently dropped their price on this bundle...

PSN sleekthfc