Guy advice: How do I get stubble?

Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey guys!

Basically, I'm a 19 year old lad, nearly 20 - with the complete inability to grow hair on my face! I can honestly say, I've never wet-shaved in my life! (I use an electric razor when I need it.) Although I'm starting to mature now, I've always been the 'cutie' - what with having a baby-like face.

If I do get hair on my face, it's very fine light hairs (eventhough my hair is dark, well, dark blonde..) I do however get hair under my nose, which actually, is quite stubbly now as I haven't electric-shaved it since Saturday. But it's the hair on my face that I'd really like. I guess I want something like this:

http://www.look.yeah1.com/albums/userpics/246042/Shayne_Ward_31640.jpg

I heard that I should wet-shave everyday, as it encourages hair to grow back thicker? Is this true? I know, I should count myself lucky - but I'm at the stage now where I don't want to be a 'boy' - I want to be a man!

Any tips? Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Cut off some of your pubes and superglue it on.No one will know the difference believe me.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Thanks for that sound advice, I'll give that a go! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best thing for that is one of them i-trim things, which is what I use. The type where you turn a dial and adjust the length you want the stubble to be....

Of course, this wont make hair grow on your face. Nothing will really do that im afraid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    You either have it or you don't, nothing you can do to get it. Though you might find it thickens a bit with age.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just wait, by the time your in yer mid twenties and all your mates are having to shave daily to avoid looking like a weirdy beardy you'll be thankful ;)
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll just have to wait for it I'm afraid.

Whatever you do, though, until you actually can grow a beard, always shave whatever there is there. It will not look cool to leave it, it will look like you have a smudge on your top lip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wet-shaved the area above my lip & below my nose (moustache area) - see how long it takes for it to get stubbly again!

I've always been jealous of guys who have stubble - now more than ever actually, as I've started to think about my masculinity etc, and stubble is a sign of that! I know I'll probably be complaining about it soon though! :D
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it, I could barely muster a bit of fluff at 19/20 and I'm one of the.. er... hairier men. It just differs between people. Some can grow the old tache/sideburns combo at 15, others start getting a hairy chest at 35.
  • niwdenessniwdeness Posts: 1,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I think it's rather pathetic to be worrying about appearing virile, plus I think stubble looks crap anyway.

Thank god i'm fair haired so don't have to worry about shaving often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is wet shaving that starts it. Or at least it was for me. I had very slow growing and weedy facial hair, but after starting wet shaving regularly it has become much thicker and quicker growing. Shame I don't really want stubble that much :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nature if you don't grow stubble you don't grow it. I actually gave up trying to pay childs fare on buses at age 13.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww! :D

Wet shaving seemed to make mine grow... I always electric shaved until I went on holiday in 2007 and forgot the shaver. Mortifications at having Jake the (really attractive) tour rep show me how to wet shave. :o Not that I asked him mind.. he took pity on me.

I've always wet shaved since... now I have to shave every other day cos of the stubble growth whereas before I only needed to electric shave every 4 days or so and even then you couldn't really see it but I could feel it.

Whether me being introduced to wet shaving and the increased hair growth was a complete coincidence or not I don't know though.

And the hair is dark on my face even though I'm an ex-ginger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaving does not encourage hair growth at all - that's a complete myth.

What it does do is give your previously smooth little bum-fluff hairs a sharp edge where they've been cut, so your stubble feels a little rougher when it grows back.
  • Enter_the_monkEnter_the_monk Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaving every day can be a major pain in the arse - enjoy those stubble free days!!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was like you at your age.

Now I am 36 the hairs grow thick and coarse and annoy me.

Relish your stubble free days. When you get older,you begin to wish on electrolysis!
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I was like you at your age.

Now I am 36 the hairs grow thick and coarse and annoy me.

Relish your stubble free days. When you get older,you begin to wish on electrolysis!

As a menopausal woman, I really look back fondly on the stubble-free days!
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider yourself lucky!
    Shaving every day is not nearly as much fun as Gilette and Wilkinson want us to believe.
    For starters there's not a platoon of gorgeous women all wanting to feel how smooth my skin is after shaving.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when my husband grows stubble (he calls it his holiday beard), its like bloody sandpaper against my face.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when my husband grows stubble (he calls it his holiday beard), its like bloody sandpaper against my face.

And you look like that scruff, Jensen Button.
    Forum Member

He probably hates it when you let your "winter legs" grow a bit.:eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably hates it when you let your "winter legs" grow a bit.:eek: :D

Thats a fair point :D
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I think you should consider yourself happy. Most men i know hate having to shave.

And geez, that pic you posted is a total turn off. Ugh..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is any kissing with a shane Ward type face = severe cheese grating of the kissees face. OW!
    Forum Member
    Here we go:

Stubble

To get a good five O'clock shadow, apply used coffee grounds to your face. First, put a thin layer of petroleum jelly (Vasoline) on the area you want your stubble. Be sure you have no allergies to either the jelly or coffee. Carefully press small amounts of the coffee grinds onto your face. Allow to dry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your contributions everyone, much appreciated! Really interesting to hear what other blokes think about stubble & how much they hate the shaving etc. I guess everyone are different & when my time comes, I'll know it!

Anyway, with the whole 'kissing someone with stubble' thing, I heard it's fine when the person is hydrated & stuff? There must be something the stubbly person's doing (or not doing), because sometimes it's OK depending on the person!

Isn't there like, some form of stubble softener you can put on before kissing to stop the sandpaper feel?