Tvs without analogue tuners?

leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are televisions starting to come into the shops without analogue tuners now that analogue has virtually 100% gone in the UK and ROI. Remember analogue tuners are still required for people who chose to pipe their Sky, Freesat and Satellite signals at RF level to other rooms around the house. So I would think that anyone still requiring an analogue tuner when buying a new television should check carefully and not automatically assume that the set has one as I would say that it is a fair bet that newer models of sets will not have them.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Are televisions starting to come into the shops without analogue tuners now that analogue has virtually 100% gone in the UK and ROI. Remember analogue tuners are still required for people who chose to pipe their Sky, Freesat and Satellite signals at RF level to other rooms around the house. So I would think that anyone still requiring an analogue tuner when buying a new television should check carefully and not automatically assume that the set has one as I would say that it is a fair bet that newer models of sets will not have them.

It's still FAR too useful, so pretty well all sets still have them - there have been a few in the past digital only, but mainly tiny portables.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also TVs are made to be able to work in a number countries to save the cost of producing individual versions, Very few countries are entirely digital yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Are televisions starting to come into the shops without analogue tuners now that analogue has virtually 100% gone in the UK and ROI.
    As Nigel says, it seems to be mostly sets in the region of 26" and below that are digital-only at the moment. Samsung seem to be the most profilic I think, their analogue-less TVs are listed under the computer monitor section (calling them digital TV monitors) rather than the TV section but in stores like Comet and Currys there is no differentiation and they are stacked with the TVs.

Thing is, these TVs and monitors appear to have merged now. "Monitors" have SCART inputs and a Freeview tuner.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Nigel that analogue tuners in televisions should be retained for some time to come. No doubt he will agree with me as his recollections from 40 or so years ago are so very good that single standard televisions on UHF only were introduced a little bit too early thus leaving out the 405 line VHF system whilst the UHF 625 line system was nowhere near extensive enough at the time to justify this. I always recall my auntie who lived in Central London, in a built up area, next to a main road and not permitted to put an aerial up on the roof of the building going out and buying a new single standard UHF only 24 inch Ferguson black and white set in 1970. Reception across all three channels was abysmal. Whereas reception of BBC1 on Channel 1 VHF from Crystal Palace was very good and ITV on Channel 9 from Croydon was not so good but still better than UHF on her old set.Clearly she had not been properly advised to make sure the new set was dual standard. I wonder how many people bought new sets at the time whether colour or black and white and found that they could only receive BBC2 or even moved one of these sets to an area where UHF reception was yet to be introduced and received nothing. All because VHF 405 line was not part of the specification of the set.
  • NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Also TVs are made to be able to work in a number countries to save the cost of producing individual versions, Very few countries are entirely digital yet.

no analog tuners in US tv's, haven't been any for a while now and there are no issues with it. what point is there adding some extra hardware to all your devices when only a small % need it, that is wasteful in all ways, never mind environmentally, i'm sure for those who need it some kind of analog tuner box can be used.

and nothing is free, the longer they hold onto old additional hardware/additional sku's for no reason the more "rip off" rip off britain will be even more "rip off".
    Forum Member
    Nefrati wrote: »
    no analog tuners in US tv's, haven't been any for a while now and there are no issues with it. what point is there adding some extra hardware to all your devices when only a small % need it, that is wasteful in all ways, never mind environmentally, i'm sure for those who need it some kind of analog tuner box can be used.

Presumably you specified a 'while' to make it sound longer than it is (if indeed it's true), as DSO in the USA was pretty recent, so even if it's true then it was only a short while ago.

But the USA has always made crippled TV sets, so it's no real news if they have dropped analogue tuners - although I'm rather sceptical about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably you specified a 'while' to make it sound longer than it is (if indeed it's true), as DSO in the USA was pretty recent, so even if it's true then it was only a short while ago.

But the USA has always made crippled TV sets, so it's no real news if they have dropped analogue tuners - although I'm rather sceptical about it.

no need to be skeptical, google it;)

it was dropped like a bad habit, no one looked back, no one misses them. installing analog tuners on 100% of devices when only .0001% of them probably need such a thing is just environmentally wasteful, never mind the money
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it was dropped like a bad habit, no one looked back, no one misses them. installing analog tuners on 100% of devices when only .0001% of them probably need such a thing is just environmentally wasteful, never mind the money

This is just pure garbage. The analogue tuner isn't a seperate item. The modern chips that are used these days are world wide multistandard. omitting the capabaility of the chip will save a few pence if anything.

It's a pretty daft idea starting some sort of campaign to drop analogue tuners when millions still use them and will do so for quite a few years yet, Get a life just because you don't need one doesn't mean that countless other's don't.

I wonder how many use the built in system in a sky box to view remotely ?
    Forum Member
    This is just pure garbage. The analogue tuner isn't a seperate item. The modern chips that are used these days are world wide multistandard. omitting the capabaility of the chip will save a few pence if anything.

For most of the world anyway, if not the USA - even if they use suitable chipsets they normally cripple the set to prevent it's use elsewhere.

It's a pretty daft idea starting some sort of campaign to drop analogue tuners when millions still use them and will do so for quite a few years yet, Get a life just because you don't need one doesn't mean that countless other's don't.

Many millions, it's a VERY, VERY widely used feature (and a serious lack on Freesat boxes) - from what's been said so far about the G2 Freesat box, presumably that doesn't have RF either, despite been promised as included in the G2 spec. (mind you G2 boxes were promised to be on sale well over a year ago as well :D)

EDIT: Just checked a random 32 inch TV at Sony USA, it clearly states analogue tuner in the spec, as you would expect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many millions, it's a VERY, VERY widely used feature (and a serious lack on Freesat boxes) - from what's been said so far about the G2 Freesat box, presumably that doesn't have RF either, despite been promised as included in the G2 spec. (mind you G2 boxes were promised to be on sale well over a year ago as well :D)

I don't recollect any such statement, what was promised was remote viewing, DNLA media streaming is included in G2 boxes (or will be shortly in the case of the only box there is).
  • stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member

All this sounds very much like a discussion with a certain 'pocatello' (now an 'inactive member') 12 months ago... ;)

"Ah yes, so the 0.0001% that have old cctv systems and are too cheap to upgrade or get converters should be catered for by saddling tens if not hundreds of millions with obsolete pointless equipment, give me a freakin break."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1554622
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's more wasteful and costly to re-engineer everything to remove the analogue functionality. A lot of manufacturers are losing money on making TVs so if they could make them cheaper then I'm sure they would.
    Forum Member
    I don't recollect any such statement, what was promised was remote viewing, DNLA media streaming is included in G2 boxes (or will be shortly in the case of the only box there is).

We were specifically told by Freesat that an RF modulator was been added to the spec, as it was the largest complaint they had about the specification of the boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It isn't a separate cost? prove it. you are going to have to show us that north american tv sets are literally having circuits burned out to make this feature inactive.

and stylo you think only one person could possibly disagree with you? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    prove it. you are going to have to show us that north american tv sets are literally having circuits burned out to make this feature inactive.

As North American sets appear to still have analogue tuners (or at least Sony ones do) your entire premise appears to be incorrect.
  • stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    and stylo you think only one person could possibly disagree with you? :rolleyes:

of course they can, but it's the manner in which they do it that's interesting! :)

You see, we had a member 'pocatello', also living in the US, who used the same phrases on the same forum on the very same subjects.

They also liked having a pop at the Brits when they could.
    You did well yourself to get 'britain' and the term 'rip off' mentioned 3 times in one sentence, nice one.

Some may think you are one and the same, but as you're a 24-year-old female, it's unlikely.
    You could be related to 'pocatello' of course, but I concede there's only about '.0001%' chance of this being likely ;)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As North American sets appear to still have analogue tuners (or at least Sony ones do) your entire premise appears to be incorrect.
    Not just Sony. Just looked up a random sample of Panasonic sets and found analogue NTSC tuners listed in the specs and in the user manuals.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Not just Sony. Just looked up a random sample of Panasonic sets and found analogue NTSC tuners listed in the specs and in the user manuals.

I would have presumed so - but one example invalidated his/her silly claim anyway :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stylo wrote: »
    of course they can, but it's the manner in which they do it that's interesting! :)

You see, we had a member 'pocatello', also living in the US, who used the same phrases on the same forum on the very same subjects.

They also liked having a pop at the Brits when they could.
    You did well yourself to get 'britain' and the term 'rip off' mentioned 3 times in one sentence, nice one.

Some may think you are one and the same, but as you're a 24-year-old female, it's unlikely.
    You could be related to 'pocatello' of course, but I concede there's only about '.0001%' chance of this being likely ;)

is this really how you spend your time, you dig up threads from months ago to claim one person is the other. going by your posts and the others who disagree with me i'd say you were all the same person as well.

people having a "pop off" at the americans are pretty common on this board, I suppose they too are the same person.

but it does tell us something that you can't argue based on the topic and the facts and instead have to get personal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you are going to have to do better than that. analog was cut off there. are most models sold in the store equipped with a disabled analog tuner, you really will have to prove this because that would be extremely doubtful. the only reason to carry it that point would be compatibility for mexico and perhaps canada, but to be honest how many americans care about those broadcasts...

here is just one example
    http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-40XBR2/en/p/KDL40XBR2#specifications
    Sony
    TV System

Channel Coverage : Clear QAM
    Tuner (Cable) : ClearQAM (unencrypted)
    Tuner (Terrestrial) : ATSC

Those are digital now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-TV-Tuner-ST-7TV-Analog-NTSC-/320996590400
    you can always buy an analog tuner if you need it, but as you can see, they are hardly in demand.

so while you might say some models do have ntsc, you are going to have to show me that they burn out the circuits on the other tv's to disable analog reception. the same way they do on computer processors... this shouldn't be that hard
    Forum Member
    Nothing to prove - we've already done it - you claimed that all American TV's were digital only, that's been demonstrated as entirely untrue. Are you now changing your stance to 'one TV' has no analogue tuner? - although the link you posted just comes back as model discontinued anyway, and has an unusual model number (so perhaps is a monitor with a digital tuner, like the Samsung models mentioned above).
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I am not sure if this is standard but on my 2 years old Sony TV now there are no Analogue available channels it always defaults to Digital even if you press the Analogue/Digital button on the remote. I can live with this especially after the thread I started a few years ago on this forum called Digital Only TV's that gave me a bit of flack:)
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlayzell wrote: »
    I am not sure if this is standard but on my 2 years old Sony TV now there are no Analogue available channels it always defaults to Digital even if you press the Analogue/Digital button on the remote. I can live with this especially after the thread I started a few years ago on this forum called Digital Only TV's that gave me a bit of flack:)

Yes, my Sony TV now does the same since DSO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlayzell wrote: »

Presumably that's because there aren't any analogue TV channels stored. If it was connected to kit like a Sky box with a PAL modulator it would have at least one analogue channel.