Windows 8 is pig ugly!

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
Just updated one of my computers to Windows 8. I wanted to try it out.

Everything running ok but beware it takes a lot of getting used to.

But the main thing that hits me is how ugly it all looks. Who in their right mind decided to get rid of Aero and Glass?

I know there are a few workarounds but still not the same still I suppose I will get used to it.

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    They aren't workarounds they are complete solutions and you don't even need to pay a penny (Classic Shell for example). I can't recall having seen the Start Screen at all yesterday or today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    My brother bought and installed Windows 8. I cannot stand the tile interface, I mean great for a touchscreen PC or tablet, but bloody awful for a desktop. I cannot see many businesses making the switch either, and if they do the first thing they'll disable on desktop systems will be the tile interface by installing something like Classic Shell.

Undoubtedly under the hood it will have improvements, but looks wise it certainly seems a step back from Windows 7.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    They aren't workarounds they are complete solutions and you don't even need to pay a penny (Classic Shell for example). I can't recall having seen the Start Screen at all yesterday or today.

I don't think Classic Shell gives you back the Aero Glass theme, does it? :confused:
    That's what the OP mentioned.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am yet to see a pig with live tiles.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the lack of Aero a bit disturbing at first but honestly I prefer it now. Work with it for a bit, I bet it grows on you
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried it and went back to Windows 7, I didn't like it and thought it looked very plain.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed it's horrible, like Window Me all over again:(.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it. Honestly, some people are just too fussy. After about 10 minutes of using it I quickly adapted to the tile layout and the link is there to switch to desktop anyway if you prefer. I rarely have to use the charms to get to settings or search so I don;t know why everyone seems to find it so offensive!
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    I don't think Classic Shell gives you back the Aero Glass theme, does it? :confused:
    That's what the OP mentioned.

Well I seem to be using Aero Glass right now. Classic Shell gives you a huge array of customization settings and that is one of many.

Can't guarantee that everything works as in Windows 7 because I skipped pretty well straight from XP to 8 but all the main things mentioned in the Wikipedia article on Aero Glass seem to work, even the drag to half-screen, and shake to minimize all other windows kind of things. Window and start menu borders etc. can have their colour anything you like via standard control panel personalization settings.

You can even visit the new Start Screen with a single click, if you really must - or better still access all the Apps via the restored Start button and a cool "Apps" menu button right next to the Programs menu button. Apps will sticky onto the Start menu too, if you use them.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well I seem to be using Aero Glass right now. Classic Shell gives you a huge array of customization settings and that is one of many.

Can't guarantee that everything works as in Windows 7 because I skipped pretty well straight from XP to 8 but all the main things mentioned in the Wikipedia article on Aero Glass seem to work, even the drag to half-screen, and shake to minimize all other windows kind of things. Window and start menu borders etc. can have their colour anything you like via standard control panel personalization settings.

You can even visit the new Start Screen with a single click, if you really must - or better still access all the Apps via the restored Start button and a cool "Apps" menu button right next to the Programs menu button. Apps will sticky onto the Start menu too, if you use them.

Aero is the rendering system from Vista and 7 (which is still present in the background in 8), but 'Aero Glass' is the particular theme that gives you transparent blurred window borders, and a properly transparent taskbar, and most importantly, a shadow round the window border that makes it stand out from the desktop and other windows.

No screenshot of Classic Shell on Win8, that I have seen has shown that

If it could give me that I'd install it in an instant, even though I don't personally miss the start menu.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Agreed it's horrible, like Window Me all over again:(.

Do you remember what the problems with Windows ME were, because visual appearance wasn't one of them.

ME had serious stability and reliability issues. Whatever issues can be levelled at Windows 8, that is not one of them.
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Aero is the rendering system from Vista and 7 (which is still present in the background in 8), but 'Aero Glass' is the particular theme that gives you transparent blurred window borders, and a properly transparent taskbar, and most importantly, a shadow round the window border that makes it stand out from the desktop and other windows.

No screenshot of Classic Shell on Win8, that I have seen has shown that

If it could give me that I'd install it in an instant, even though I don't personally miss the start menu.

No, the window borders are opaque, although the Start Menu is semi-transparent and so is the taskbar. But you can have them any colour and intensity you like to make them stand out. The options are Full Glass, smoked glass or Aero and I can see now why none are called Aero Glass. I read somewhere that Microsoft took out or killed part of the code.

The other Aero features seem to be there though.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with the system obviously, as all the complaints I've read are purely about the cosmetics.
    Using it at the office poses no problems, It's quite easy to whip around it with a mouse once you have it sussed..
    Can't say it's anyway 'Ugly' though, I don't notice aero or no-aero on a daily basis I doubt many do in reality, unless they are specifically looking for it.
  • 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I found this add on for Windows 8 start very good.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Do you remember what the problems with Windows ME were, because visual appearance wasn't one of them.

ME had serious stability and reliability issues. Whatever issues can be levelled at Windows 8, that is not one of them.
    I just meant in the general sense of being crap & pointless.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what benefits are there to installing Windows * and then doing all these things to make it look and work like Windows 7?
    You may as well stay with Windows 7!

Why didn't they just make it look and work like windows 7 and have the Kiddie pleaser interface as an option for them to select if they wanted to have no taste?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what benefits are there to installing Windows * and then doing all these things to make it look and work like Windows 7?
    You may as well stay with Windows 7!
    I just bought a new laptop and there wasn't really a choice. I suppose I could downgrade.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I just bought a new laptop and there wasn't really a choice. I suppose I could downgrade.

Ah now I would have haggled with the salesman and said "Install Windows 7 or give me a discount so that I can!" :D
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    But the main thing that hits me is how ugly it all looks. Who in their right mind decided to get rid of Aero and Glass?.

MS decided Aero and Glass were "cheesy," (their words) so dumped them.

The latest "Metro-ised" Visual Studio is ugly too because MS thought chrome was "distracting," but it can be improved with a bit of tinkering.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I tried it and went back to Windows 7, I didn't like it and thought it looked very plain.

Personally, I think Windows 7 is their best-looking OS ever.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think Windows 7 is their best-looking OS ever.

Yeah I like the look of Windows 7 and it runs very fast on my entry level Core i5.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I am yet to see a pig with live tiles.

:D:D:D...
  • jwsgjwsg Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    The longer the "debate" goes on the funnier it gets. Any O/S exists to support the running of applications and nothing else. Window decoration is irrelevant and soon forgotten after a day or two. The start screen or menu is just another launcher as are desktop and toolbar icons. How anyone can struggle to adapt to organising their start screen to suit themselves and then just get on with actually using their PC is beyond me.
    The huge differences between the UIs of different programmes and even between successive versions of the same one are often greater than between windows desktops through the years yet result in less comment.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwsg wrote: »
    The longer the "debate" goes on the funnier it gets. Any O/S exists to support the running of applications and nothing else. Window decoration is irrelevant and soon forgotten after a day or two. The start screen or menu is just another launcher as are desktop and toolbar icons. How anyone can struggle to adapt to organising their start screen to suit themselves and then just get on with actually using their PC is beyond me.
    The huge differences between the UIs of different programmes and even between successive versions of the same one are often greater than between windows desktops through the years yet result in less comment.
    Have you actually used it? As it doesn't really come across as though you have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    Just updated one of my computers to Windows 8. I wanted to try it out.

Everything running ok but beware it takes a lot of getting used to.

But the main thing that hits me is how ugly it all looks. Who in their right mind decided to get rid of Aero and Glass?

I know there are a few workarounds but still not the same still I suppose I will get used to it.

I tried it out just before it was released - I am not exaggerating when I say it was the worst operating system I have ever had the displeasure to use! It it so unintuitive that it beggars belief that someone allowed it to be released!
    It will probably go down as Microsofts biggest flops.
    I use Windows 7 and it's a joy to use.