Can Lady Gaga's new album Artpop be more successful than Born This Way?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I liked Born This Way album but she could've done a better job than how she put in effort wise with BTW. I think that Artpop will be an improvement from BTW but can it reach it's sales or be even bigger than BTW???

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    You never know
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully she has learned from the absolute train wreck that was BTW and will go back to her FAME glory days. I have a feeling ARTPOP will flop though and it will be ta ta ga ga

I miss the Bad romance days :(
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God you're back....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters how much it sells. As long as she makes premium pop music I will be happy. I'm not even much of a fan, but she has release some proper tunes.
    I preferred BTW to The Fame also.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It would be good if it did.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Born This Way. I thought it was a great pop record. It was the first record I bought by her. I think she made a mistake by overselling it as the great work of art that would change the world so people's expectations were way too high and they were inevitably disappointed.
    However, I don't think Artpop will outsell BTW because it's the nature of the business after someone becomes very famous, record sales go down over time. It happens to every artist. People are always looking for the next new thing and grow tired of artists quickly, a lot more quickly than they did in the 80's. It's really not a reflection on the quality.
    As I said, I enjoyed BTW a lot, and so I hope on this album she doesn't change too much but sticks to pop/dance with a few ballads. I hope she doesn't go too avant garde with her actual musical style but still writes catchy pop songs.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely adore Born This Way, but there's no denying in terms of amazing feel-good pop music, The Fame and The Fame Monster were way ahead... I understand that BTW was her 'artistic / I wanna send out a message' sort of album, but if she can take some of these ideas she's been talking about and apply it to some great pop music, then I think ARTPOP will probably do better... They also really need to look at the way singles are released as well because tbh, BTW was a bit rubbish for singles compared to TF/TFM.

I'm intrigued though, I'd like a mix of elements from all 3 discs on this new album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be realistic. It doesn't matter how good the record is, singers like her have a reputation for their sales to drop with each release, and she in my honest opinion is no exception. I can't see this shifting more than 3,000,000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    No and there's nothing wrong with it.

'BTW' sold about 5 million worldwide (and don't bombard me with the inflated numbers please) because of the hype and the frontloaded sales. Didn't it sell like 2,5 million in the first week? Her next album, no matter how good or successful the lead single is, will be lucky to sell half of that.

At the end of the day however, the actual problem is not the sales of the album, it's how her fans will perceive them. Some of them will inflate them to a ridiculous extent and some of them will call her a flop for not selling 20 million like Adele, just like they called her last 5-million selling album a flop. If her fans accept the fact that she's peaked commercially, she'll be fine.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so but the most important thing is that it's a quality record and the musics good. Her true fans will want a record that they can enjoy for years to come while her more crazed fans seem to only care about sales
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Let's be realistic. It doesn't matter how good the record is, singers like her have a reputation for their sales to drop with each release, and she in my honest opinion is no exception. I can't see this shifting more than 3,000,000.

This!! it happens to everyone sales gradually drop with each release
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will.

If she releases a good lead single, rather than a statement within a mediocre song, she'll stand a good chance.

I'm still awaiting a true successor to Fame Monster, BTW fell way short of my expectations, she built so well from The Fame to TFM, then dropped way below the Fame with BTW.

It was a shame, because Edge of Glory and You and I should have been the building blocks of the album, rather they sounded like the label realised the album was missing good songs, so forced them on.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Single wise I think it's definitely possible (the lead single is obviously going to smash everywhere atleast anyway).

With the actual album itself, I also think it's perfectly possible. Born This Way managed to sell 6m copies with one smash and one global hit (and the high-charting but short lived Judas aswell), if she can have numerous smashes and numerous global hits surely it's perfectly reasonable to think she can outsell BTW? Rihanna come back hard with Loud after Rated R with just that, smashes and hits and so the album sold double it's predecessor (3m to 6m). If it can work for Rihanna...

However I am also aware that Born This Way was a big disappointment to a hell of a lot of people and that it had a mega amount of hype that I don't think ARTPOP has. So it could go either way in my opinon.

Still even if ARTPOP sell half of BTW she would still be selling the same amount as Rihanna; it's if she continues to lose sales after that that she might need to be concerned.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW was a disaster in PR and the single choices were poor and the album as a whole was a mess and it popped the proverbial bubble but was it a total and utter flop no. It had decent sales and two big WW hits but as a successor to TF/TFM era and her hype it felt and seemed more of a disaster than it actually was.

But she has ground to make up. She needs to get casual fans back on board whilst still appealing to her core fans. With good single choices and a decent album she can more than make up the number of BTW 5 million isn't all that much and for an artist of her stature 3-5M is easy. Thats is unless she continues in her uber pretentious manner and releases a load of shit music which is increasingly likely :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga's last album Born This Way was far too heavy on the 'love yourself and be brave' rubbish and a bit thin on big pop tunes.

She's got ARTPOP (ARTPOP!!!!) coming out this year, which I'm sure her obsessive fans will snap up by the million, but will she ever return to her peak? I think in order to do so she needs to cut the pretension and the messianic BS and just return to making silly, singalong pop songs like Bad Romance.

No unicorns would be a good start. She needs to regain casual fans, as others have said, rather than alienating those who don't fall into the category of 'freaks and proud of it' etc etc.

More waffle on the topic of one of 2013's most anticipated albums: http://tunewaffle.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/2013albumsladygaga/
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tunewaffle wrote: »
    Lady Gaga's last album Born This Way was far too heavy on the 'love yourself and be brave' rubbish and a bit thin on big pop tunes.

She's got ARTPOP (ARTPOP!!!!) coming out this year, which I'm sure her obsessive fans will snap up by the million, but will she ever return to her peak? I think in order to do so she needs to cut the pretension and the messianic BS and just return to making silly, singalong pop songs like Bad Romance.

No unicorns would be a good start. She needs to regain casual fans, as others have said, rather than alienating those who don't fall into the category of 'freaks and proud of it' etc etc.

More waffle on the topic of one of 2013's most anticipated albums: http://tunewaffle.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/2013albumsladygaga/

Ironically though in also trying to be the all loving mother monster she alienated a huge section og the people she was trying to connect with. Where others have succeded she has filed and that is appealing to the masses across the board love or hate Rihanna or Perry they appeal to many without patronising. She needs to get back top the point where all and everyone loved her with decent songs and music to back her up.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add to my first post that has timed out:

Even if ARTPOP sells half of Born This Way, Gaga would still be selling more albums than the VAST majority of artists worldwide today (in 2012 for example, sales of 3m would have made ARTPOP the 3rd best selling album of the year!), and so because of that this album is going to be nothing but a big success. It's if her sales keep decreasing after that that she may have a 'problem' (because following that hypothetical trend, album 5 (or 6) would be selling like only 750k worldwide - not good for a superstar (although saying that with the way album sales are going that might actually be considered good in a few years :eek:)).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the quality of the album people should be worried about rather than the sales. She's given us a few tasters of what to expect and all of it is dirge
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps...if she stops taking herself so seriously. Even though BTW is my favourite album of hers, the actual singles were weaker than on past albums. I don't regret her making that album, but just wish she would have kept her mouth shut a bit more!
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it coming out this year?, if so.... i doubt its gonna be the "big" album this year with Timberlake's new album coming out :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it coming out this year?, if so.... i doubt its gonna be the "big" album this year with Timberlake's new album coming out :)

Yes, no date announced though. At least it's not being overhyped this time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Gaga's (mainstream) success rides on the balance of sugar to medicine. She can get away with her weirdness and shenanigans as long as she supplies enough pop sugar to help people swallow it down.

In simple terms, that's what didn't happen with BTW. She came on very strong with the medicine and there wasn't enough sugar to go around. People who love full on Gaga-concentrate loved BTW, whilst people who need her diluted, didn't. This would explain why she attracted so many rock/metal fans during the era, they seem to appreciate her unadulterated 80s-esque crazy.

I'm not worried about ARTPOP because she and her team are savvy enough and thirsty enough for success to know what didn't work and how to address it.

Even the album title itself is essentially declaring that the ratio between ART (medicine) and POP (sugar) is in balance.
  • Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How it performs depends on the Singles off it. If she chooses
    Singles that aren't up to much, then that will cause many of
    those who bought 'The Fame', to not buy her next Album.

A lot of people felt that most of the Singles off 'Born This Way'
    were not as good as most of the Singles off 'The Fame', & the
    result was that 'Born This Way' did not sell nearly so well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I don't think her album will sell as much as BTW solely because I think she did lose the casual buyer market during BTW but I do think it will be a BIG improvement on BTW and will help her regain those casual fans ready for her next album after ARTPOP.

I really think with ARTPOP it is all about getting those casual fans back...once she does this then I believe her next album will do great! Luckily Gaga has stated herself that ARTPOP will be more like The Fame and will be taking herself less serious "immature" as she said.