4g or not 4g?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
I am doing a bit of research in to views of the new 4g service.

What are your thoughts - 4g or not 4g? Is it worth the extra price?

In order to help you decide, you can read my first article about the service here: 4g or not 4g

I look forward to hearing from you

:)

Comments

• sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    No brainer for me as reduced my outgoings by £5 as due to Vodafone bundled content i no longer have to pay £10 to Spotify.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I got a 4G plan for the inclusive roaming tariff, nothing more.

I don't even have LTE enabled on my phone!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    No brainer for me as reduced my outgoings by £5 as due to Vodafone bundled content i no longer have to pay £10 to Spotify.

*for 6 months

Plus you already pay "Standard price" with vodafone so you're getting ripped off each month anyway even without 4G.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Not something I'd pay extra for. Thank The Lord that Three agree.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well obviously for us Three customers we'll be getting it free of charge automatically so nothing for us to talk about here !
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    For me it's (or will be when I get it) the coverage more than the speed. I'm rural, so yes, certainly worth it.

A few things.
    4G isn't replacing 3G any time soon. A better phrase might be "that will eventually replace 3G"

Since users are regularly seeing 3G speeds of 20-30Mbps (with DC-HSDPA), I think 1-2Mbps is a bit low. I did a test tonight (EE 3G) and got 18.5Mbps. Rarely is it below 8Mbps.

What we have now is not "proper" 4G anyway. It's LTE (long term evolution) and in fact can do (or rather will be able to do) up to 300Mbps.

The 100Mbps moving and 1Gbps stationary you talk of is in fact LTE-A (LTE Advanced). We don;t have this yet although some networks are testing it.

Other than that, the article is fine! :)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlimited data 3g beats limited 4g in my view. I don't care how fast stuff downloads I do care about limits...
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Unlimited data 3g beats limited 4g in my view. I don't care how fast stuff downloads I do care about limits...

Unlimited data 3G and 4G beats limited 4G in my opinion :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Unlimited data 3G and 4G beats limited 4G in my opinion :D

I agree - data limits are a big deal - what would be the point of having super fast 4g with a low data limit?!

How long do you think before 4g rolls out to the MVNOs?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    team-jb wrote: »
    I look forward to hearing from you

4G gives me internet in the office where I used to only get 2G, this is good reason to pay more. (I use about 1.5GB a month on either 3G or 4G).
    Forum Member
    I agree - data limits are a big deal - what would be the point of having super fast 4g with a low data limit?!

How long do you think before 4g rolls out to the MVNOs?

End of this year for a few.

Q1 2014 at the latest.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    4G gives me internet in the office where I used to only get 2G, this is good reason to pay more. (I use about 1.5GB a month on either 3G or 4G).

You see? You see? I said it. I said it didn't I?
    Coverage! That's what it's all about.
    :)
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    *for 6 months

Plus you already pay "Standard price" with vodafone so you're getting ripped off each month anyway even without 4G.

why do you keep saying that. Its for the full term of the contract on all but the bottom tariff.

and i have no requirement for unlimited data, but i do have a requirement for coverage, something your beloved 3 don't provide at home or work for me.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay extra as my 3G/DC-HSDPA speeds are really good but as above being with Three you get 4G for no extra cost.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't get coverage in the technological black hole where I live . So its a no from me .
    Just a single bar signal for a voice call would be nice TBH
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I've recently made the move and I think it's well worth it. Depends on the deal you can get. I managed to get the 10GB plan for £36.80pm, which is only £2pm more than I was paying, but the benefits, in my opinion, are well worth it. Even with a low 4g signal I get a decent bandwidth. I just find that it makes the apps and phone in general more responsive and in spots that used to only get 2g!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phone is not 4G and I am not replacing it for a few years, we also don't have 4G here and I doubt we will have for a long while.

Even if we did and my phone could cope, I would not pay the extra and before they think about 4G, maybe they should sort out 3G first.
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    why do you keep saying that. Its for the full term of the contract on all but the bottom tariff.

and i have no requirement for unlimited data, but i do have a requirement for coverage, something your beloved 3 don't provide at home or work for me.

Because i'm a bargain hunter and can't hack it when you said in a different thread how much you were paying and how much of a good deal you got. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    My phone is not 4G and I am not replacing it for a few years, we also don't have 4G here and I doubt we will have for a long while.

Even if we did and my phone could cope, I would not pay the extra and before they think about 4G, maybe they should sort out 3G first.

I agree, they need to sort out the 3G service first, however what effect will people moving onto the 4g networks have on the 3G spectrum? Will there be more bandwidth on 3G? And therefore more availability of the service?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, they need to sort out the 3G service first, however what effect will people moving onto the 4g networks have on the 3G spectrum? Will there be more bandwidth on 3G? And therefore more availability of the service?

It will lessen the data load so congestion in areas should decrease. Perhaps also see some of the networks like Vodafone or EE refarm 2x5MHz of spectrum for 4G as well.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    It will lessen the data load so congestion in areas should decrease. Perhaps also see some of the networks like Vodafone or EE refarm 2x5MHz of spectrum for 4G as well.

Vodafone? Doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone? Doubt it.

Why not there main 3G spectrum will be 900MHz and they have a fair bit of 2100MHz so can certainly see them wanting refarm in future. They and three were the ones who asked ofcom to allow them to do that.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone? Doubt it.
    Voda or EE. Can't see any need for either of them to do so anytime soon. I guess at some point they will but neither of them are short of existing spectrum for 4G.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Can't see that happening anytime soon.. Vodafone would be able to do it first. Three are already using full spectrum in 3G in most urban areas and as we see at peak it suffers. It would be interesting how that would add onto MBNL...

Voda have no need to use 900 right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    Voda or EE. Can't see any need for either of them to do so anytime soon.

Wasn't saying there was a need I just meant it was a possibility in the future doubt it will happen soon though.
    Can't see that happening anytime soon.. Vodafone would be able to do it first. Three are already using full spectrum in 3G in most urban areas and as we see at peak it suffers. It would be interesting how that would add onto MBNL...

Voda have no need to use 900 right now.

Agreed it won't happen for a while but I think congestion is one of the reasons that three is offering free 4G as it should certainly lower congestion in 4G areas.