Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really need MS Office and the trial will run out soon. It's around £70-£90 to buy the disc(s). It's so expensive, i'm not sure what to do.

Why is it so expensive!?

Comments

• KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    ...because Microsoft are not a charity?
  • esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    try OpenOffice.org instead. It's free.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    esquilax wrote: »
    try OpenOffice.org instead. It's free.
    Another vote for openoffice :cool:
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I really need MS Office and the trial will run out soon. It's around £70-£90 to buy the disc(s). It's so expensive, i'm not sure what to do.

Why is it so expensive!?

Buy a 2nd hand copy. Im still using the 2000 version as it does what I want it to do.
  • cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have open office but I can't get on with it plus the file formats are different in opening word. Long story.

And maybe i should try ebay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try here, http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx
    You can get the full package for under £40. It's a genuine site, i've used myself and has been recommended by others as well in the Computing section.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Another vote for openoffice :cool:

Yup, openoffice is great, unless your clients send you Word files and expect Word files back from you. You lose some of the formatting when you convert between them.
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q: Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

A: Microsoft is so expensive, because so many need it.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Just get the trial, and google for an activation code
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Q: Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

A: Microsoft is so expensive, because so many need it.
    exactly what I was about to type...
    I would add that Microsoft are not a charity they exist to make money for their shareholders.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I would add that Microsoft are not a charity they exist to make money for their shareholders.

How dare any company run itself in such a way that they turn a profit?! :mad::mad::mad:
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they can make lots of money from it.

There are good, free alternatives available though.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got both Home & Student 2007 and 2010 for £50 total :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare any company run itself in such a way that they turn a profit?! :mad::mad::mad:
    I know.. its completely beyond the pale. There ought to be a law against it !
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look here brand new full ms office 2003 business version with all the bells and whistles for. 19.99

ms office 2003 has everything you need. Probably more than you will ever need. 2007 didn't add much and 2010 even less. IMO the ribbon is awful.

openoffice is ok. you can save in .rtf to preserve formatting and all windows software's open that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is it so expensive!?

If you really need it so much what did you do before you had the trial version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are expensive because MS Office is excellent & it is overwhelmingly dominant so can charge what they like. But some groups can get it cheaper for example members of educational institutions or the NHS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i also have full Word 2002 which came with the old Microsoft Works bundle before they discontinued it. It seems to be unlimited license :)
  • Jub-JubJub-Jub Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Why is petrol, food, gas and electricity so expensive when everyone needs them?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Capitalist scum exploiting people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    AHEM piratebay AHEM.

No...?

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LibreOffice is the way to go, and it's free.

www.libreoffice.org/
  • blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's expensive probably because everyone wants it. A bit like when a lot of people want to go on holiday at Christmas and summer times but oh no flight prices suddenly rise. Or when a theme park won't let you use a promotional voucher to gain entry during October half-term holiday. People want to make money wherever they can. If demand is high, it's an opportunity for them to profit more. I wish it wasn't like this, but it is.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine wasn't . :)
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spinnt wrote: »
    AHEM piratebay AHEM.

No...?

:o

Agreed, although not with Pirate Bay cos they're sh*t. But many other "resources" on the internet to acquire it, all the op need do is Google. :cool:

*hoists Pirate flag*