What is Wajam?

caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not sure where I got this, and I don't remember accepting it's installation, but it seems to be malware.

I removed it and AVAST told me it had also installed a rootkit, which was malware which I then removed.

Info about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wajam

What does it do? Does it change the search results that show up in your search engine?

It might sound silly, but I noticed my search results for various news articles were strange, specifically the Guardian had dropped off. I tried different search engines, and something even stranger happened, so in Dogpile nearly all the results were AFP/CNN and their ilk.
I was using Internet Explorer, so thought I'd go back to Google Chrome. This tells me it has disabled an add-on I "may not be aware of" - Wajam.
This time the same search in Dogpile gives totally different news results - using Internet Explorer as before.

If that last paragraph didn't make sense, basically, it appears as though Wajam is malware I didn't ask for and couldn't remove which alters my access to news and information on the Internet via search engines. Is this possible?
If so, I have a BIG problem with this and with the fact that it seems to be marketing itself as a bona fide company.
Surely this is illegal?

And how do I make sure it is gone for good?

Comments