Britain's Really Disgusting Foods

tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think I'll give it a whirl. It's on BBC3 at 9 o'clock tonight. To give you the flavour (pun intentional :)), I quote from the blurb regarding the pie he concocts. It contains:

A stomach-churning mix of animal parts, E numbers and an ingredient known as "sweet fat" [which] is baked into wholesome-looking pies in an eye-opening - if unappetising - process.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    I think I'll give it a whirl. It's on BBC3 at 9 o'clock tonight. To give you the flavour (pun intentional :)), I quote from the blurb regarding the pie he concocts. It contains:

A stomach-churning mix of animal parts, E numbers and an ingredient known as "sweet fat" [which] is baked into wholesome-looking pies in an eye-opening - if unappetising - process.

I make my own pies. That way I know what goes into them!
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I have never eaten Pies in my life as they just look cheap and vile and being from London i have always thought of Pies as being cheap poor Northan food.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    I have never eaten Pies in my life as they just look cheap and vile and being from London i have always thought of Pies as being cheap poor Northan food.

And what do Londoners call Jellied Eels, gourmet food. Yuk.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Never had Jellied eaels and nobody i knows eats them either.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

controversial!

we're not all poor up north you know and we don't all eat pies!
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member

I suppose that's why Pie and Mash shops are a London tradition :p
  • MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member

And don't pork pies originate from Melton Mowbray which whilst not south is only in Leistershire and Cornish pasties from, er, Cornwall?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »

It was being repeated when I got in just before Midnight, I was a tad drunk though and couldn't bring myself to watch all of it :eek:

So what was the most disgusting food then???
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dunno, but Goblin tinned beefburgers must have been up there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it and I was well and truly disgusted :eek:

The meat concoction looked just like .... what he said it did!
    Just suitable for flushing down the pan.

As for the fats .... No smilie available!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the presenter was hoping it would be his pies, both savoury and sweet.
    However, he could not declare himself the winner as Wetherspoons refused to divulge their ingredients.
  • twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:eek: I am from London and I LOVE PIES and make my own all the time. Pies are totally London food IMHO no matter how rich/poor you are cos a veg pie is just as good as a meat one cos its the combo of tasty filling and light crumbly pastry that does it every time........mind you, bought budget pies are GRIM and I would not dream of eating one EVER!
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so shocked at what they were putting into their sausages it was discusting
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    My idea of disgusting is Pigs Trotters. Who in their right mind would want to eat something that's spent most of it's time immersed in shit?? :eek: :eek: :D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I saw some of the programme, god that pie looked disgusting!
    I love pasties and (homemade) pies though :eek:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A 5% meat sausage was pretty lame. Those gourmet consumers at the good food show must have felt a bit stupid when they found out what they were eulogising :D
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A 5% meat sausage was pretty lame. Those gourmet consumers at the good food show must have felt a bit stupid when they found out what they were eulogising :D

Wasn't a sausage though - it was a banger!
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I suppose that's why Pie and Mash shops are a London tradition :p

Exactly what i thought! i could do with pie mash and lovely liquor right now...mmmm:D
    Never had Jellied eels and nobody i knows eats them either.

I know loads of people that eat them (come from an East End family tho ;)), but none who are under 25!

My idea of disgusting is Pigs Trotters. Who in their right mind would want to eat something that's spent most of it's time immersed in shit?? :eek: :D

They are the absolute tops ;) Not much meat on them , but brilliants for sucking the skin off and slurping the tendons between the toes:D:D;) I can't believe I even do that myself - I'm one of those people that even has to cut the fat off of bacon!:o

fF
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FearFactor wrote: »
    Not much meat on them , but brilliants for sucking the skin off and slurping the tendons between the toes:D:D;)

It just sounds...so...wrong!!!!!!!
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea of disgusting is Pigs Trotters. Who in their right mind would want to eat something that's spent most of it's time immersed in shit?? :eek: :eek: :D

I could make a sexual gag there!

Some of the crap they put in food is unbeliveable though, I've cut down my consumption of Irn Bru since seeing that show
  • TerualTerual Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Many years ago I worked at the Spillers distribution depot. We also distrubuted Tyne brand pies. Never found out whether they actually were produced at the same factory though. It made me wonder