Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man of Steel - I wish they'd shown us that
    killing Zod had had a big effect on him, and wasn't something he simply shrugged off
    ~20s later,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Watched the recent "Rambo" flick. Had never seen it before today, but I thought it was alot of fun. Lots of action and over-the-top sequences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^and the director's commentary is great too :)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Man Of Steel
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Man of Steel
    Is it still playing? My my, what a long runner....;)

Quatermass 2

Ah - British science fiction cinema at its finest. A whip-smart script with some lovely eerie touches, this is the favourite of the hugely commendable Quatermass trio. 10/10

Escape from Tomorrow

Latest film festival 'sensation' or whatever. A newly-fired family man wants one last good day at Disneyland, but his day falls apart amidst hallucinations and poss. mental breakdown.

Shot on the sly at Disneyland itself, the initial intrigue gives way to too much wilfully vague weirdness that stretches a thin idea further than it can bear. A shame, as the film is at its best when it's at its most focused (the ex-princess, for instance), and the promising theme of real fears in a 'real' fantasyland runs throughout. Also letting it down is the harsh B/W photography which is often messy and indistinct. Some interesting images emerge, but it's not the visual treat the makers perhaps intended.

What works best is the acting. A believable everyman, wife & kids - they are that tetchy family in front of you in the queue. They deserved something a bit more defined and decisive.

Fans of Berbarian Sound Studio (a similar sort of thing) could well enjoy this, but, like BSS, it left this viewer somewhat underwhelmed. 5.5/10
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bad News Bears (1976)

Terrific baseball film with Walter Mathau coaching a team of inept, foul mouth kids.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chasing Ice

For such a grand and important topic this documentary managed to feel pretty slight. It was still good though and had some fantastic pictures.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Death Wish 3 again.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Searchers for the umpteenth time
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Big Year [2011]. Director: David Frankel

6/10

Light-hearted drama about bird-watching obsessives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The return of blue lagoon..seen the first one few weeks ago

good film with a young Milla Jovovich
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awaydays - 6-7/10.
    A football hooligan film with a focus on the friendship between two boys, set during the late 1970s, but I couldn't help but feel I have seen it all before, such as I.D., The Firm, Green Street, etc. I admit I had a problem telling two actors (Carty and Elvis) apart, which affected my viewing. Production design is great, though. (Awaydays is available on BBC iPlayer until this Monday).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Oblivion - LOL

5/10
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad News Bears (2005) (LINK)

This remake of the 1976 original was pretty good. Billy Bob Thornton was great as the alcoholic baseball coach. The kids on, the other hand, were not so great. The kids in the original film were far better than the ones in this remake. But it was still fun to watch.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Man Of Steel - Awfull, they had the flying dragons from avatar flying round and shooting ray-guns at the start, what????

Those creatures are cannon, they're from the original Superman comics ;)

Behind The Candelabra

Michael Douglas just superb as Liberace, and Matt Damon equally as good as his young lover. Without doubt the campest film I've ever seen, with some hilarious guest appearances (Particularly Rob Lowe as a plastic surgeon). Funny, shocking and sad in equal measure, this was quite superb.

9/10

Man Of Steel

I really enjoyed this, not quite up there with Donner's superlative double whammy from the late 70s but a massive improvement on Superman Returns. The scene where Superman takes flight for the first time was truly breathtaking, and the fight scenes and oil rig rescue were some of the best cgi-drenched set ups I've seen.
    Only weak points were Costner as Dad (lacking the warmth & charisma of Glenn Ford) & Michael Shannon as Zod. I found his portrayal way too one dimensional and was yearning for some of Terence Stamp's camp humour.
    Still, a great reboot, here's hoping Superman Vs Batman can take things up another gear.

8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    [re: Man of Steel] ... a great reboot, here's hoping Superman Vs Batman can take things up another gear.8/10
    iiuc SvB will open with Batman kicking Sups ass all over the place for 20mins, and the rest will simply be Sups huddled in a corner crying like a little baby. :D
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    Rabbit Hole 7/10
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blast Of Silence (1961) 8.5/10
    Lan Meg Din Kone (1958) 6/10
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Atm (2012) 4/10
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Escape Plan, 7/10
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DIRTY PAIR: PROJECT EDEN - 8/10

bonkers feature length manga movie, as our two heroines smash and crashing their mission, where mining operations are being mysteriously attacked!

DIE HARD - 10/10

just die hard :D

THE WAY BACK - 7/10

interesting story of gulag escapees that almost falls flat
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Way Out - 8/10. Surprisingly enjoyable. Totally worth the hassle of watching it on BBC iPlayer. :D
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    The way way back- 8/10

Really good coming of age film from the makers of Juno and little miss sunshine. Highly recommended!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Kill List

seen this before on dvd, and still find it disturbing..with a shock end that makes more sense second time round :eek:
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despicable Me 2/10. Not for me at all.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Awaydays - 6-7/10.
    A football hooligan film with a focus on the friendship between two boys, set during the late 1970s, but I couldn't help but feel I have seen it all before, such as I.D., The Firm, Green Street, etc. I admit I had a problem telling two actors (Carty and Elvis) apart, which affected my viewing. Production design is great, though.

Seems an unusually high rating for this film, which I thought was appalling. Check out Peter Mullan's NEDs, which is similar but much, much better! It was premiered on Film4 recently.

No Way Out is a great thriller though, purely due to the concept of Costner/the audience knowing it's HIS face going to appear on the screen - one of the most original ways of building suspense I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.