Any thundercats comics fans around that era?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been going through some old comics I used to read back in the 80s and wondered if any other people who were a kid in the UK during the 1980s remember and memories.

For me I used to read 3 comics weekly

MASK
Thundercats
Transformers

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Transformers UK was pretty much how I got into comics thanks to the extra Marvel US content the would reprint to support the Transformers stories. I got the Thundercats comics but didn't enjoy those as much. I also picked up 'The Real Ghostbusters' and 'Action Force', amongst others.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The transformers comic was produced by marvel uk. This was whe. Marvels uk arm was about to push into original comics, with original characters.

Their flagship character, a robotic bounty hunter called deaths-head, had his earliest adventures in transformers.

To this day, deaths head is the only comic book hero to meet both doctor who, and the transformers....
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Transformers UK was pretty much how I got into comics thanks to the extra Marvel US content the would reprint to support the Transformers stories. I got the Thundercats comics but didn't enjoy those as much. I also picked up 'The Real Ghostbusters' and 'Action Force', amongst others.

Marvel uk's own hero's, characters like deaths head, dark angel, and the knights of pendragon, are set for a revival this Wednesday in the new mini series revolutionary war.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marvel uk's own hero's, characters like deaths head, dark angel, and the knights of pendragon, are set for a revival this Wednesday in the new mini series revolutionary war.....

Yup, spotted them in Previews a while back. I think some are written by old Marvel UK stalwarts.

I seem to remember an old Marvel UK editor sometimes pops on this very forum from time to time, too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got it, read it, wasn't overly impressed - had me wondering if it had been purposefully written in a late 80s/early 90s Marvel UK stylee... I'll give the next ish a go and see how it progresses, though...

(Secretly I wish they'd just wipe Death's Head II out of existence and carry on with the original Death's Head (who, after being rebuilt by Spratt should be DH2, anyway... hehem...))
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thundercats used to have Power Pack as a back up strip didn't it, I remember thinking PP was better than the main Thundercats comic.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Been going through some old comics I used to read back in the 80s and wondered if any other people who were a kid in the UK during the 1980s remember and memories.

For me I used to read 3 comics weekly

MASK
    Thundercats
    Transformers
    The latter two are back, you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Thundercats used to have Power Pack as a back up strip didn't it, I remember thinking PP was better than the main Thundercats comic.

So did I. It was probably PP more than anything which got me into picking up the US editions... think I've got a full run of the US Power Pack comics in one of the long-boxes...
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    I've still got a load of Marvel UK comics from the mid 80s to early 90s somewhere in the loft. Transformers was my main read but I've also got Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, Death's Head and the superb Dragon's Claws. Plus others (some Action Force etc). Transformers UK was a superb comic up until around issue 200-ish, far better than the US version. So much so that the US stole all the UK talent and the UK version started a slow decline.

I do have an issue of Death's Head 2. Horrible comic though, lost all the charm of the original character for the sake of making a "dark" range of comics. I'd still say that Transformers was the UK's flagship comic for Marvel whilst Death's Head was the most well known original creation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    ...the superb Dragon's Claws.

I dug mine out last year. Good at the time but the story hasn't aged very well...
    Rooks wrote: »
    I do have an issue of Death's Head 2. Horrible comic though, lost all the charm of the original character for the sake of making a "dark" range of comics.

I picked up DH2 but avoided all the other characters in that particular MUK range. I thought it was awful and I'm annoyed they've brought DH2 back...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comics havent aged either. Its always great to have a read of some classic stories.

I really wish issue one of transformers today wasent so expensive.