Used CD shops in London?

SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since my local CD Warehouse in Ealing shut down in '06, I've been hard pressed to find any good shops in London which sell used CDs. I'm primarily a metal and rock fan, but there's a bunch of other genres from I'd be interested in tracking down some specific rarities (that aren't available on Amazon, eBay, HMV or Zavvi).

So anyone clued up on this subject? T'would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was (not sure if it's still there) a small chain of used CD/DVD shops. There was one in Greenwich, one in Camden Town (I'm pretty sure this one has gone) and one in Notting Hill. They had a pretty eclectic range of stock. I'm afraid I can't remember the name...

CORRECTION: The one in Greenwich is still listed in Yellow Pages. See the link...

http://www.yell.com/find/s/Shops/Music-Shops-(CDs-and-DVDs)/UK/London/Greenwich,-South-East-London

and Camden!

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=Music+Shops+%28CDs+%26+DVDs%29&companyName=&location=CAMDEN&scrambleSeed=71863487&searchType=advance&M=&lastKeyword=Music+Shops+%28CDs+%26+DVDs%29&lastClarifyIndex=&lastClarifyOptions=&lastSearchall=&lastSearchallTax=&lastbandedclarifyResults=&bandedclarifyResults=&ssm=0&search.x=0&search.y=0
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I suggest you take a look at a mail order company called (don't laugh at the name) Left Legged Pineapple

http://www.left-legged.com/
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Camden / Notting Hill shops you mention are Music & Video Exchange.

http://www2.mveshops.co.uk/index.php?link=dzial

Not a bad selection of material but as with all second hand shops you need to dig through copious amounts of crap to find the decent stuff. I've dealt with them for over 30 years since the days they were Record & Tape Exchange. The staff haven't changed much in attitude in that time - still a right bunch of miserable b******s but worth digging through their stock.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been in there for years but there's Cheapo Cheapo Records in Rupert St., Soho.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beanos in Croydon is amazing ;)
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Sister Ray, Berwick St Soho were always good for rarities.
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers folks. I'll check out those places on the weekend. *thumbup*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beanos in Croydon is amazing ;)

Is that still there? I've not been there for about 14 years - my ex hubby used to practically live in there :eek:
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since my local CD Warehouse in Ealing shut down in '06, I've been hard pressed to find any good shops in London which sell used CDs. I'm primarily a metal and rock fan, but there's a bunch of other genres from I'd be interested in tracking down some specific rarities (that aren't available on Amazon, eBay, HMV or Zavvi).

So anyone clued up on this subject? T'would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not based in London, but if you have specific items you are interested in finding, I do a 'wants' service and mail order.
    PM me with a list if you like.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Is that still there? I've not been there for about 14 years - my ex hubby used to practically live in there :eek:

Yeah, although it nearly closed because they weren't making money... they have stayed open because so many people protested them closing. They closed off the top floor and will eventually turn it into a cafe (I think).

So yeah, it's still there :p
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    The Camden / Notting Hill shops you mention are Music & Video Exchange.

http://www2.mveshops.co.uk/index.php?link=dzial

Not a bad selection of material but as with all second hand shops you need to dig through copious amounts of crap to find the decent stuff. I've dealt with them for over 30 years since the days they were Record & Tape Exchange. The staff haven't changed much in attitude in that time - still a right bunch of miserable b******s but worth digging through their stock.

I've started going back to the one in Notting Hill and you're right...it hasn't changed one bit! I've bought some great 45s and LPs in there over the last 25 years!:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, all this bearing in mind that I only do CDs, not vinyl. *nod*

The more places to visit, the better! I'm making a day of it on Friday.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably no help to you but I use one in Eastbourne called Secondhand Rose. They mainly do furniture and stuff but have hundreds of really good cds there. Metal, pop, R'n'B etc. The other day I got The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour for £5:):)
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member

Don't worry...they have loads of CDs in there as well :)
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a great idea ! the only problem is the council rates and rents they have to pay. so the shop turnover would have to be very good. Myself i go to boot sales. and pay anything from £1 to £6 for single and £5 to £10 for a double or treble. The last ones i bought was from the local library and i paid £2 for the doubles and £1 for a single ones.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is that means getting up early on Sundays or you miss the bargains. Sod that;)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Yeah, although it nearly closed because they weren't making money... they have stayed open because so many people protested them closing. They closed off the top floor and will eventually turn it into a cafe (I think).

So yeah, it's still there :p

I am glad, Beanos was the one thing that made a couple of years living in South London bearable, fabulous place :)

Berwick Street Soho, and surround area, is a good hunting ground, there's a few shops in that area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once used a CD shop in London. HMV, I think it were.
  • MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sellanby in Pinner or South Harrow used to have some gems from time to time, not been there in years so no idea what they are like now.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Despite my user name, I stock second hand CDs too. Offer still there if you have a 'wants' list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Despite my user name, I stock second hand CDs too. Offer still there if you have a 'wants' list.

Sure. How big a list can you tolerate? ;)
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Record and Tape Exchange, Cheapo Cheapo ! ! Takes me back a few years !!