Matt Cardle Dropped?

MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
Forum Member
I'm hearing rumours that Matt has been dropped by his record label? Is this true?

Comments

• twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is true he has parted company but that doesn't mean he was dropped. Although I would think it is highly likely. It takes a very strong person to walk away from a huge label like Columbia.

I guess fans will say he walked non fans will say he was dropped when at this stage no one really knows the facts
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    It is true he has parted company but that doesn't mean he was dropped. Although I would think it is highly likely. It takes a very strong person to walk away from a huge label like Columbia.

I guess fans will say he walked non fans will say he was dropped when at this stage no one really knows the facts

I think it's actually a case of his contract not being renewed by the label, but obviously the press will go with the he's been dropped headline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    I think it's actually a case of his contract not being renewed by the label, but obviously the press will go with the he's been dropped headline.

Isn't it almost the same thing? :confused: the label doesn't want him anymore and his contract is not renewed = he is dropped.
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frank5 wrote: »
    Isn't it almost the same thing? :confused: the label doesn't want him anymore and his contract is not renewed = he is dropped.

^^^^^^^this
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was about to make the same comment. Don't you think we'd know if another label had bought out his contract or immediately snapped him up? Maybe they did and the publicity machine is out of date. Time will tell.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was trying to be nice.:D But yes, it's the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    How do we know they have parted company? It seems a bit strange - he hasn't set the world alight but his album went Platinum and his tour sold out.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    medulla_86 wrote: »
    How do we know they have parted company? It seems a bit strange - he hasn't set the world alight but his album went Platinum and his tour sold out.

I agree! How odd, I'm still waiting for something abit more official before I believe it.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    medulla_86 wrote: »

An X Factor winner not even managing to sell 300,000 copies of an album probably means he didnt cover costs. And the record label wont have made money from the tour, plus he was only doing 2,000 seat venues - not all of which were sold out. he hasn't done well at all.
  • batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    deleted - wrong thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An X Factor winner not even managing to sell 300,000 copies of an album probably means he didnt cover costs. And the record label wont have made money from the tour, plus he was only doing 2,000 seat venues - not all of which were sold out. he hasn't done well at all.

He didn't even sell 300 000 copies. Just about ~250k. His 'almost' platinum album clearly didn't impress his label :D
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to be nice.:D But yes, it's the same.

is the source... credible?:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's done very well. I thought he would be dropped by the label within a year.

Shame. I liked Matt, but I hold my hand up - didn't like his music after the show.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    I'm hearing rumours that Matt has been dropped by his record label? Is this true?

it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So he's still signed to Syco, just not Columbia?

No, they are slightly different. Being dropped is the record label terminating the contract as opposed to not renewing it. But they're basically the same, I'm just splitting hairs really. The main point is, if Columbia thought he was a good investment they would've renewed the contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    So he's still signed to Syco, just not Columbia?

No, they are slightly different. Being dropped is the record label terminating the contract as opposed to not renewing it. But they're basically the same, I'm just splitting hairs really. The main point is, if Columbia thought he was a good investment they would've renewed the contract.

No point terminating a contract that has ended though. They either renew or they don't.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought he had been dropped ages ago
    havent heard a song from him since the last song he did (cant even remember the name of it)
    i remember cheering him on when he was in the x factor, thinking he was gonna do well, now im criticizing him (very bad of me)
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously WtF?

He cannot be dropped on 260k sales, Cher's on 220k i think and she ain't dropped but she has international potential.

I'm stunned by this,i would have thought 200k+ was enough to ensure a renewal, maybe Decca will take him like Mary Byrne and Joe? I cannot see him being dropped with those album sales as his second could do well you never know. Maybe it's just Columbia thats backing out not Syco!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point terminating a contract that has ended though. They either renew or they don't.

I'm not sure what your point is? Being dropped and not having your contract renewed ARE slightly different, just not very different and with the same end result - that's why I said I was splitting hairs.

E.g., if you sign a 5 album record deal but the label terminates your contract after 1 album, that's getting dropped. As opposed to if you sign a 1 album deal and the label decides not to renew your contract after that album.
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    i thought he had been dropped ages ago
    havent heard a song from him since the last song he did (cant even remember the name of it)
    i remember cheering him on when he was in the x factor, thinking he was gonna do well, now im criticizing him (very bad of me)

Marketing has a lot to do with it. Matt certainly is more talented than the Wands, but they are the ones whose faces are everywhere. Did Matt do something to turn off the powers that be, or did another white guy with a guitar seem like so last decade? Something happened to result in his current situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mehitabel wrote: »
    Marketing has a lot to do with it. Matt certainly is more talented than the Wands, but they are the ones whose faces are everywhere. Did Matt do something to turn off the powers that be, or did another white guy with a guitar seem like so last decade? Something happened to result in his current situation.

All the AT has is this statement that was in The People today, it all seems odd considering he's been working with a few EMI songwriters in LA and just returned to UK yesterday.

I HEAR MATT CARDLE has parted company with his label Columbia following the end of his contract. The X factor 2010 winner who had a number one hit with his debut When We Collide, is currently in Los Angeles where he is recording new material. Matt, 29 wants to take his career in a different direction. A source close to the Essex hottie told me: "Everyone wishes him well."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Can't be true. I distinctly remember his fans telling us all that Columbia would give him time to develop as an artist, that they saw his true potential, that they'd be looking to turn a profit by his third album, etc.

(Actually, I do doubt this is true as there's no source given and I can't find it on Google. But if it is, I think it's perfectly hilarious.)
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mehitabel wrote: »

That's because of the demograph. It is the young ones that lap up merchandise like there is no tomorrow. Matt fans wouldn't want his bedding or posters all over their walls. At least I think they wouldn't :eek:
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    That's because of the demograph. It is the young ones that lap up merchandise like there is no tomorrow. Matt fans wouldn't want his bedding or posters all over their walls. At least I think they wouldn't :eek:

I think you might be surprised there.
  • LS__xLS__x Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Simon completely ruined him with over production:mad: His album would have sounded so much better acoustic. I hope he goes back to his original sound now with his old band, he wrote some great stuff with them. :)
This discussion has been closed.