Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Lab wrote: »
    Black Box's 'Ride On Time' comes to mind, not sure if it counts though, on account of it (the chorus) being a sample despite protestations otherwise by the band.

"Ride on Time" does have verses.
    Servalan wrote: »
    The entire vocal in 'Ride On Time' is a sample - cut up and rearranged from the late, great Lolletta Holloway's 'Love Sensation'. How Black Box can deny that beats me - especially as they had to pay her and writer Dan Hartman (also late and great) after trying to rip them off. They didn't learn, either, trying to pull a similar stunt with Martha Wash! :eek::rolleyes:;)

I was under the impression that permission had been sought from the copyright holders.

The fact that they hadn't paid the original artist is hardly Black Box's fault, is it?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    I was under the impression that permission had been sought from the copyright holders.

The fact that they hadn't paid the original artist is hardly Black Box's fault, is it?

You're having a laugh, right?

Either that, or you are under the wrong impression.

Black Box most definitely did not seek permission to sample 'Love Sensation'. All details here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Box_(band)

They had to surrender royalty payments and also record a new vocal with Heather Small.

So yes, it was Black Box's fault ... especially as they tried pulling a similar stunt with Martha Wash.

And let's be real: if they had been happy to do it above board, they'd've asked Holloway to front the group, rather the skinny model who never a note on any of their records ...
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    They look a bit sad without all their glam trappings.

The Sweet would have looked a lot sadder and out of place in their glam era trappings. Just remember a pathetic looking GG one year ago and how daft that looked in his silver suit and shoulder pads early in '77. The Sweet on the other hand managed to get it just right, and went out on a high, rather than a low, I would imagine this song and hit must have surprised many early in 1978, but I love it, and I don't happen to think most of their big hits have dated at all.

Just think, The Sweet and Darts between them had 8 records peak at No2, but unlike The Sweet who had a No1, poor old Darts peaked in '78 with that hatrick of single week No2 hits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you something Servalan, I recall hearing an interview with Loleatta Holloway, some 5 or 6 years ago I think it was, and could barely believe how distraught she was by the use of her voice on this track, and the way she said she had been shafted over the whole affair. She was literally weeping as she spoke! Considering it was the biggest seller of '89 I'm not surprised. In my eyes (and ears) it is pure theft, plain and simple.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ That's true. Ms Holloway never get over the unauthorised use of her vocal and all the royalties she missed out on. They even got the name of the track wrong, the sample is Holloway singing "RIGHT on time" but they misheard it as "RIDE on time". This bugged her as well as everything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The Sweet would have looked a lot sadder and out of place in their glam era trappings. Just remember a pathetic looking GG one year ago and how daft that looked in his silver suit and shoulder pads early in '77. The Sweet on the other hand managed to get it just right, and went out on a high, rather than a low, I would imagine this song and hit must have surprised many early in 1978, but I love it, and I don't happen to think most of their big hits have dated at all.

Just think, The Sweet and Darts between them had 8 records peak at No2, but unlike The Sweet who had a No1, poor old Darts peaked in '78 with that hatrick of single week No2 hits.

Totally agree with you about Sweet's best tracks not dating - indeed, for me, between 1972 and 1974, the creative friction between Chinnichap's pop sesibility and the group's own desire to be taken seriously as a rock act spawned some brilliant singles and set them apart from their peers. That were able to break free and still retain some success says a lot for their persistance. It's just sad the remaining members of the group are so bitterly at odds, with conspiracy theories still in the air about the attack that cost Brian Connelly his voice. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they save the best song until last!!!! :D:D:D

Considering it was Abba, and was the highest new entry into the charts at No10, I was very surprised to see it used as just the playout over the end credits. A bit like when they stick the Wimbledon tennis champion on the outside courts instead of the Centre, or 1. No doubt they knew where the track was headed and it was going to get many more plays, but a shame it didn't do the 10-1 jump, instead of 10-2, allowing Figaro to grab a week ahead of it next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Blimey! Actual young people. And they're angry!

Adverts lead singer was trying his best, and failing miserably to look angry in my view. I'd descibe them as "faux punk". :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering it was Abba, and was the highest new entry into the charts at No10, I was very surprised to see it used as just the playout over the end credits. A bit like when they stick the Wimbledon tennis champion on the outside courts instead of the Centre, or 1. No doubt they knew where the track was headed and it was going to get many more plays, but a shame it didn't do the 10-1 jump, instead of 10-2, allowing Figaro to grab a week ahead of it next week.

You're right - so it's all Robin Nash's fault that Primark Abba made the top spot! :eek:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right - so it's all Robin Nash's fault that Primark Abba made the top spot! :eek:;)

Primark Abba.

Now I wonder if any tribute band that used that name would have any legal problems! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adverts lead singer was trying his best, and failing miserably to look angry in my view. I'd descibe them as "faux punk". :p

I'm not sure I'd be quite that unkind - after all, The Adverts belonged to the early cluster of punk groups and featured alongside the Buzzcocks, Wire and X-Ray Spex on one of the genre's first compilations, The Roxy London WC2.

I'd say punk's initial intensity was also its downfall, as was the music industry's inability to know how to deal with the acts they signed in the headlong rush not to miss out on the latest big thing. Not having been in the first flurry to get a deal, The Adverts probably appeared more second division that they actually were - and given that by this time, record companies were trying to repackage punk as the less threatening 'new wave' (Tonight, the Rich Kids), they were probably fighting a losing battle.

I'd argue it was only by the end of the year that punk's real survivors started coming to the fore - the Clash, the Jam, Blondie, Siouxsie & The Banshees ... by which time the Adverts had yet to score another chart single (indeed, they'd split up the following year).
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has any current artist picked up on these totp shows and done a cover/ sample of any of the songs that have been played
    There seems to be quite a few covers in the 2 years or so that they've been repeating the shows.

Love to hear a 2013 update/version of Uptown Top Ranking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd argue it was only by the end of the year that punk's real survivors started coming to the fore - the Clash, the Jam, Blondie, Siouxsie & The Banshees ... by which time the Adverts had yet to score another chart single (indeed, they'd split up the following year).

Talking about lasting, Siouxsie & The Banshees were still making some decent records, and having minor hits into the early 90's. Even in a year I really dislike, 1988, a decade later, they put out one of the better songs that summer Peek-A-Boo, one of their bigger hits. For me though, I was just that vital 5 years too young to recall punk first hand, so picked up some of them, like Siouxsie with their later efforts. But 1978's Hong Kong Garden is most definitely in my digital collection! :)
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's show - especially Darts and Rose Royce. It feels like 1978 is really kicking off at last. Shame there's a break next week. With future No.1s Figaro and Take and Chance on Me featured as well as the actual No.1 this got me wondering if a non Christmas/special show has featured more No.1 hits than this
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your prompt response and link. As the makers of 'T. Rex - The Ultimate Video Collection' apparently had access to the German ZDF archive for the TOTP clips of 'Metal Guru' and 'Solid Gold Easy Action' I was anticipating the clip of 'Get It On' on the tape could be from the wiped 8 July 1971 edition of TOTP (see link below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56HI0Luy_kQ

Not a problem. Wow! I've not seen the above clip of 'Get it On' before.
    According to Popscene the only surviving clip of the previous hit 'Hot Love' is from 11 March 1971 (as shown numerous times on Sounds of the Seventies, TOTP2 etc.) but the wiped second studio performance of the song from 25 March 1971 when it was at No.1 (which also features Pan's People) still exists in the ZDF archive as far as I can tell (note the tell-tale videotheque TV screens in the clip below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p239ACO5la0

I love the wiped studio performance with Pan's People - that's the clip of 'Hot Love' on the T. Rex - The Ultimate Video Collection video too. There's a really good clip of T. Rex performing 'Mambo Sun' from the Electric Warrior album on the tape too, featuring Marc with some very funky trousers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjsmVCeWeJA

As to the fates of various members from Tyrannosaurus Rex and T. Rex... the word 'tragedy' isn't sufficient to describe what happened to them really. Steve Peregrin Took died from a drug overdose a few months before Steve Currie too. So sad.

Speaking of other tragic ends to various members of a band who were at their peak in 1978, Heatwave deserve a mention too.
    beacon wrote: »
    Err, 'The Groove Line' was not garbage, it was brilliant. Heatwave were one of THE best disco bands of that period, and had many cracking tuines. Groove line was produced by Barry Blue by the way. Rod Temperton was super talented and all he did later with Quiincy Jones & MJ. RIP Johnnie Wilder, lead singer of Heatwave xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7WQ30xEVU

A great TOTP tonight I thought.

'The Groove Line' is an outstanding song and I fully agree with you, beacon, about the brilliance of Heatwave. I can't understand how the other person dismissed it as garbage at all - dear me! 'Mind Blowing Decisions' and 'Always & Forever' to come later this year too!
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Well they did also have the better selling-andvbetter song-Gsry Gilmore's Eyes
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    4 years ago when I got into digital music for the first time, and got the whole stuff set up, including an iTunes account, I think 3 out of the first 5 singles I tried to get from iTunes were un-available, and even worse was that with another I mistakenly downloaded an inferior later re-recording that was not flagged up clearly as being so. It left me somewhat crestfallen as I'd been expecting this bottomless sweet jar of everything I ever wanted to get hold of. Infact i was quite annoyed after all the hype I'd heard of millions of tracks, amongst which there have been roughly 20,000 hit UK singles in 60 years?

You are right, one of those tracks was the sublime Funkmasters, It's Over which was a No7 hit in 1983, so hardly obscure! Others were The Mobiles, Drowning in Berlin which was yet another Top 10 hit from the year before, and my personal favourite version of What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted by Dave Stewart & Colin Blunstone which made No13 in 1981, none of which is obscure in my opinion. I know there are likely a dozen others I have tried and not found in the same vein, but cannot recall right now. I did get the tunes the "freebie" route in the end due to lack of success via iTunes. My requests fell on deaf ears, as you can message them about tracks not available.

I see what you mean
    I just tried to buy Wishing on a Star after watching totp and no Rose Royce records at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    I see what you mean
    I just tried to buy Wishing on a Star after watching totp and no Rose Royce records at all

Really? :confused:

I've bought several Rose Royce tracks through iTunes ...
    Forum Member
    Really? :confused:

I've bought several Rose Royce tracks through iTunes ...

Thanks !

I was searching in apps instead of music

Now got it:)
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes - he looks a bit like him!

TOTP starts warming up now - I like about 80% of the songs on the shows now - even Brother Hood Of Man!! - (Who were actually around BEFORE AbbA) - so who was copying who?? :D

This group are uncannily ABBA-like; 2 bearded blokes, one blonde, one brunette (called Agnetha), frolicking in the snow in fur coats. It reminds me of the French & Saunders ABBA pastiche. This was Sweden's Eurovision entry 2 years before ABBA won with Waterloo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-j2iixfeM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Thanks !

I was searching in apps instead of music

Now got it:)

Pleased you found it, you have impeccable taste. Infact, in the week that Tony Blackburn turned 70 years young, he may often get maligned for being cheesy and all that, but actually his music tastes are absolutely impeccable too, and he even proved it on the show back in 1978 when he said it was his fave track of the time. Tony knows what decent classic and classy music sounds like. Without him, Diana Ross would likely not have had her first solo No1 hit with I'm Still Waiting in August 1971, which he championed on air enough to get it released. A fact that I think he is rather proud of when he has played the song on Pick Of The Pops.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,202
    Forum Member
    Tony Tastic was one of the best hosts TOTP ever had, Noel Tinybeard was very good too

And the Kid was great - I still smile when he signs his TOTP shows off by saying "Good Love"

Funny one this week - Primark Abba and the genuine article themselves

Abba though were light years ahead of BOM though
    Forum Member
    Pleased you found it, you have impeccable taste. Infact, in the week that Tony Blackburn turned 70 years young, he may often get maligned for being cheesy and all that, but actually his music tastes are absolutely impeccable too, and he even proved it on the show back in 1978 when he said it was his fave track of the time. .

I thought I would download the Greatest Hits. Totally different versions which weren't as good.
    Went back and got In Full Bloom instead which had the versions that I remember
    Played this album to death back in the day. Good memories
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    This group are uncannily ABBA-like; 2 bearded blokes, one blonde, one brunette (called Agnetha), frolicking in the snow in fur coats. It reminds me of the French & Saunders ABBA pastiche. This was Sweden's Eurovision entry 2 years before ABBA won with Waterloo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-j2iixfeM

Ha - Thanks for posting this! - Abba minus the good looks!! ;) - Maybe Both ABBA and BHOM were trying to copy this group!! :D - (Not)!
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was fortunate enough to see Darts live in their heyday. My favourite of theirs was one of their lesser hits "Don't let it fade away" ( although Den Hegarty had left by that point )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iecqlfhgOg

"If I had words" is one of my all time favourite songs, still sounds good today
This discussion has been closed.