TP-Link USB-to-WiFi working fine, but Wizard keeps popping up

donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have hooked up a TP-Link USB-to-WiFi that is working fine, but New Found Hardware Wizard keeps popping up every time my wife restarts and logs in.

How can I get this Wizard to stop bothering her?

TP-Link TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you use the adaptor's own software to configure it?
    If so it's probably conflicting with Windows' own configuration utility.

Try uninstalling the TP-Link software (if you are using it), and configure it through Windows.
    If it doesn't run as efficiently, or gives problems, you could always go back to the TP-Link software.

You'll probably still need to install the driver from the CD, but not the configuration utility.
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the CD anymore, wife error LOL

It works already just fine, good connection. I don't see any installed software for TP-LINK though.

Configure thrrough Windows? Is that via Control Panel > Network?

If it works, I don't want to muck it up though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it's all working, then there's no harm in leaving it, but I've always found it best to let Windows configure a USB wireless adaptor, and just install the driver from the CD, by going to Device Manager and 'Update driver' from there.

No harm in you looking in Device Manager anyway, and making sure it's properly identified in there.

The fact that the new hardware wizard keeps popping up suggests Windows doesn't recognize it properly at boot-up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Well if it's all working, then there's no harm in leaving it, but I've always found it best to let Windows configure a USB wireless adaptor, and just install the driver from the CD, by going to Device Manager and 'Update driver' from there.

No harm in you looking in Device Manager anyway, and making sure it's properly identified in there.

The fact that the new hardware wizard keeps popping up suggests Windows doesn't recognize it properly at boot-up.

Ummm... No CD. Perhaps I should get the driver from the website?

Would going to Device Manager stop the nagging idiot wizard?

When I last looked, it said "This device is working properly" even though it continues to complain about New Hardware Found. Can't I just TELL that wizard to stop pestering me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donelson wrote: »
    Ummm... No CD. Perhaps I should get the driver from the website?

Would going to Device Manager stop the nagging idiot wizard?

When I last looked, it said "This device is working properly" even though it continues to complain about New Hardware Found. Can't I just TELL that wizard to stop pestering me?

If it's working properly then you probably already have the right driver.
    Trouble is, if you let Device Manager look online for a driver it might find one on Windows Update that messes everything up. :D (has been known)

As long as Device Manager correctly identifies the device, with no yellow triangle, then that should be OK.

Not sure how you could stop New Hardware Wizard popping up?
    Do you let it run or cancel it every time?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Can't I just TELL that wizard to stop pestering me?

Do you have to keep installing the device or if you just click cancel it works anyway ? What OS are you using ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows XP. I downloaded and installed the TP-Link drivers.

The install finished just fine. On next reboot: New Hardware Found, again.

I hate Windows. What a load of excrement.

So I re-downloaded and installed again. No joy.

So then I went to Device Manager: Code 1 Error for the TP-Link (that was new).

So I repaired it; no joy.

Each of these steps I have to restart to see if the Wizard ambushes me again. It does.

So then I use Device Manager to re-install the driver. I let it run and run and eventually it finds a driver to install, and installs it.

Wow, this is different. Now at least I get a window with a selection of WiFi signals. I choose mine (again, it was already connected) and then have to re-enter the Pass Key (it was already connected, so why?) and then connect again (it was already connected).

Jeez ffecking kristus.

At least now it works. THANK GOD I USE A MAC FOR WORK, otherwise I would be bankrupt.
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Do you let it run or cancel it every time?
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Do you have to keep installing the device or if you just click cancel it works anyway ? What OS are you using ?
    Windows XP. I downloaded and installed the TP-Link drivers.
    ...... again, it was already connected) and then have to re-enter the Pass Key (it was already connected, so why?) and then connect again (it was already connected).

So cancel works then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both.

Doing nothing at all, the USB-WiFi connector works fine. Using Cancel, it works fine. Not using Cancel, it works fine. BUT... The stupid Wizard kept popping up no matter what I did.

Seriously, this took hours of messing about. Who could have known you should install the manufacturers drivers (more than once) and then ALSO let Windows install drivers as well?

In 25 years of using both Windows and Macs, I have never had troubles like this on Macs, not even close.

I have then 3-4 times a year at least with Windows. Total horse puckey.

I am really glad that tablets are combining with Balmer's management to kill Windows off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, Awesome!

I wish I had had that earlier. Thanks!

(In case the link goes away in future, here is what it says)

Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Right-click "Shell Hardware Detection" service, select "Properties"

Change Startup type to "Disabled"

Click Apply, click Ok.

Side-Effect!! Your CD/DVD will no longer auto-play when a disk is inserted.
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that other devices will not plug and play but no bad thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that other devices will not plug and play but no bad thing.

I can always re-enable for anything new that causes this.

I just read an article on how insecure UPnP is as well...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I hope all your fiddling about has solved it now?
    It still sounds like it was a conflict between Windows wanting to configure the adaptor, and TP-Link's own software, downloaded with the driver.

On one of my XP machines it insisted on bringing up the New Hardware Wizard every time I booted up to install a printer that was already working happily. I did try reinstalling things, but eventually just got into the habit of cancelling it every time, and forgetting about it. :D
    But that was XP for you.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, when I got the PC, there was only Vista (rated at 2 out of 10)... *shivers* ... so I stayed with XP...

From what I have seen of Windows 7, it’s a 4/10 OS. (OSX Mountain Lion is only a 7/10 imho)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In some ways computer operating systems have come a long way, but I'm continually disappointed at their inability to handle errors and conflicts.
    They still just seem to give up and leave the user to sort it out. :rolleyes:

One of my Windows 8 machines is blue screening every couple of days, and the only clue it gives is that it's something to do with the file system or hard drive. And yet the hard drive reports no errors, so it's left me in limbo. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find amazing is that there is not a "copy to clipboard" in EVERY error dialog you get, in case you want to pass it on to someone. This after my requests to Gates and Jobs since the mid-1980s...

It's not like that is hard to do...