Valve sued in Germany over game ownership

anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
Forum Member
✭✭
Valve have been sued in Germany because its users are not allowed resell their games. I use Steam and I feel that once I purchase a game I should be allowed sell it or even give it away once I have finshed with it. But if I purchase a game on Steam I can't even transfer it to another account.

With rumours going around that Sony are going to stop people using second hand games on the PS4 this could prove to be interesting devlopment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026797/valve-sued-in-germany-over-game-ownership.html#tk.nl_today

Comments

• mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the difference between this and Apple not allowing you to sell on a song you've bought on iTunes?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    You might make a pretty penny if you sued every digital distributor and the court was inclined to demand high amounts of compensation. If I was a court, I might grant them compensation amounting to a pound.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will get laughed out of court. Nobody owns their games on Steam, it is licensed. Even just doing a quick google search of 'steam license' instantly returns all you need to know;
    The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software

As for selling games once you are done with them. That is EXACTLY why there is DRM. And it is EXACTLY why Sony and Microsoft want to make it so pre-owned games become extinct. Because they see it as bad a problem as piracy, if not worse.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will get laughed out of court. Nobody owns their games on Steam, it is licensed. Even just doing a quick google search of 'steam license' instantly returns all you need to know;

As for selling games once you are done with them. That is EXACTLY why there is DRM. And it is EXACTLY why Sony and Microsoft want to make it so pre-owned games become extinct. Because they see it as bad a problem as piracy, if not worse.
    People should also find if they read the license agreements for their games (for those that print them - check out GTA4, RDR and Max Payne 3 manuals), that the license is also non-transferable and if they do not agree to the terms set by the licensor then they shouldn't play the game (usually covered in the limited warranty).
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the key point that too many people don't understand. You haven't bought the game, you've bought a non-transferable license to play the game. You also agreed in that contract (yes, it is a contract) that you won't/can't share it nor sell it to anyone else.

More importantly this is how it's always been. Just because it wasn't policed before and it is being policed now (due to it being possible with downloaded games or the Steam platform), doesn't give anyone the right to continue illegally sharing or selling on that license.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People not reading small print shocker.