Why wasn't "The Boys" by Nicki Minaj a hit?

Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFcr6oy5dk

Was the lead single from the re-release of her second album.

It just has everything, I definitely think it's her best song. Yet when I looked on Wikipedia it barely charted anywhere!

What happened?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she's done.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe the song. The whole Re-Up was a bad idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because her initial two year mainstream hype is fading and people are realizing how much of a clown she really is? Just a guess, though. The only song by her I have is Your Love and sadly, her features are the best thing about her. Her own music is whack. She has pretty good mixtapes, but her LPs are garbage and people are starting to see. Plus in the age of transparency, nobody likes a fake, which everything about her is. At least she came clean about saying she's bisexual for publicity.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's an average song.
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good song, not great, but I like Cassie.
    I think her songs recently are a bit 'samey' so there's no excitement when they come out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and not many people, at least in the US like Cassie. She gets little respect, tbh. Cause of the diddy thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Because she is a joke of a human being let alone "artist"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly the song didn't have much promotion and urban radio wouldn't play it because its too pop influenced. She should have just released a pure hip-hop song if she wanted to win her urban audience back to get airplay. Also the song is quite strange, it sounds like two different songs which don't fit at all. The chorus just flattens the song.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Every hip hop song released in the past 2 years has flopped in the US.

Also, it wasn't released as a single. Va Va Voom is her follow-up to Pound the Alarm. The Boys was just sent to urban radio, kind of like Raining Men by Rihanna.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Every hip hop song released in the past 2 years has flopped in the US.

Also, it wasn't released as a single. Va Va Voom is her follow-up to Pound the Alarm. The Boys was just sent to urban radio, kind of like Raining Men by Rihanna.

It flopped on Urban though so it was a big flop. Nicki has now called it a "promo single" :D
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Cause urban songs flop nowadays

And the song itself wasn;t a masterpiece
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    It flopped on Urban though so it was a big flop. Nicki has now called it a "promo single" :D

It flopped on urban due to the lack of synths imo. Most of the big urban hits are full of synths at the moment, but she keeps releasing songs like Beez in the Trap with no tune or melody, and The Boys was the same (although the chorus was an improvement).

Super Bass was a very big hit on urban radio, she should do more songs like that again to get a hit there. Or even better something like Moment 4 Life (again, lots of synths in that song).
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It flopped on urban due to the lack of synths imo. Most of the big urban hits are full of synths at the moment, but she keeps releasing songs like Beez in the Trap with no tune or melody, and The Boys was the same (although the chorus was an improvement).

Super Bass was a very big hit on urban radio, she should do more songs like that again to get a hit there. Or even better something like Moment 4 Life (again, lots of synths in that song).

Freedom is that song IMO
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    She had just released Va Va Voom a few days before that I think so that got more attention because its amazing and the boys is just good. If she released I'm Legit first, the Re-Up would've done a lot better.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot take this woman seriously for one second.

Ridiculous popstar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's terrible and the sooner she is wiped of the face of the music industry, the better. She releases many tracks, is a feature on many many more and is ****ing everywhere. She has a bad singing voice, she can't dance, she's one of the biggest sell outs of the 21st century and simply ruined any long term career she could of had. Credit where credit is due she is a good rapper, not the best writer but if she would have stuck to her urban roots and Super Bass didn't BLOW up and make her turn pop, i believe she could have been a respected rapper and a lot more tolerable.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I think you guys are being mean and are getting personal about her rather than discussing what the thread was made for tbh...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Honestly, it just wasn't a great song.

I like Cassie though, she's cool :cool:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Oh, and not many people, at least in the US like Cassie. She gets little respect, tbh. Cause of the diddy thing.

I don't know why Cassie's not more popular. I like some of her songs.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked so many don't seem to like it, ah well it's still my fave. ;)
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have that 'hit' feel, no europop or anything on it :)
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    I like it but the reason being is only cos of Cassie's parts, The Re-Up 'era' has been a total flop so far
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why Cassie's not more popular. I like some of her songs.

Because a lot ofpeople think se is an average singer who only got to where she is because she's diddy's girlfriend.not my view, but they slam her like that all the time. Even on the radio.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the Re-Flop was a bad idea from the start, most stores didn't even want to sell it because they didn't want more low sales from her again.

The Boys is OK, but Cassie is just a model trying to be a singer, she is so f**king hot it's unbelieveable but she just can't sing at all. She sounds like a robot on the hook. Add that to Nicki's tired out verses and it was just a recipe for disaster.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Firstly the song didn't have much promotion and urban radio wouldn't play it because its too pop influenced. She should have just released a pure hip-hop song if she wanted to win her urban audience back to get airplay. Also the song is quite strange, it sounds like two different songs which don't fit at all. The chorus just flattens the song.

This really.