Chat Apps overtake Text Messages

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Chat Apps have overtaken text messages for the first time.
Instant messaging on chat apps, such as WhatsApp, has overtaken the traditional SMS text message for the first time, according to research firm Informa.Informa said almost 19 billion messages were sent per day on chat apps in 2012, compared with 17.6 billion SMS texts.The shift is likely to have a big impact on mobile operators, for whom texts have been a key revenue source.Pamela Clark-Dickson of Informa said some operators were already "seeing a decline in their messaging revenues".According to separate estimates by research firm Ovum, more than $23bn (£15bn) of SMS revenue was lost in 2012 due to popularity of chat apps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22334338

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I did use Whatsapp more than text for a while but it became so unreliable i gave up on it and went back to texts. I sometimes use Facebook chat to speak to people.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why people would use a App like that. SMS is so easy and these days even on PAYG, you get so many free.

I get unlimited text, but not unlimited data, so why would I want to use my data instead of my text? also as been said in the article, every mobile phone accepts text.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people would use a App like that. SMS is so easy and these days even on PAYG, you get so many free.

I get unlimited text, but not unlimited data, so why would I want to use my data instead of my text? also as been said in the article, every mobile phone accepts text.

Because you are assuming everyone gets unlimited texts. I get unlimited data but not unlimited texts. Messaging apps are just as easy as SMS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of apps now which allows you to talk to some people that you know and even to people that you don't know. But SMS/text messaging is still the best and easy to access.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I send normal sms but save whats app for picture msgs
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never bothered with whatsapp and just use SMS. I know quite a few of my friends use WA but not all, so unless there's some clever Imessage style integration, I'll just keep using SMS....
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has certainly grown with people using these types of applications specially with people with large data amounts. BBM is also a massive one lets be honest. It honestly depends on the prson but the advantage of the apps is that it is cheaper and also world wide.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can use it with your wifi !
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I send normal sms but save whats app for picture msgs

Same here but my wife and her friends plan nights out etc on it.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You get 1 unlimited text? :eek: A slight dichotomy if you ask me. :D
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard that Google are developing something along the lines of iMessage and I guess you will be able to use it on any OS and may even be integrated into Android?
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still prefer SMS. I don't need to know anything about the person I'm sending a message to except that they have a mobile phone. It is also very reliable, and I never use all my monthly allowance.

I installed WA and had it for a few weeks, then uninstalled it. I kept forgetting it was there and sent SMS messages to everyone anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard that Google are developing something along the lines of iMessage and I guess you will be able to use it on any OS and may even be integrated into Android?

yep. well there's already Google Talk, which is built in to all Android phones, but plans are afoot for a more integrated messaging app, likely to combine Talk, Google+, Gmail etc. Probably going to be unveiled in a couple of weeks at the big Google conference
    https://developers.google.com/events/io/
  • spikejspikej Posts: 3,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using Whatsapp to communicate with my girlfriend who's in the USA for a month for work, it has saved us a good £100 or so! We'd use it when she gets back but both have unlimited texts so little point really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got unlimited texts (although I have to pay for MMS which I have only just found out!) but still use Viber all the time, I find it so much easier for chatting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Because you are assuming everyone gets unlimited texts. I get unlimited data but not unlimited texts. Messaging apps are just as easy as SMS.

Even if not unlimited most people get a fair bit. even vodafone Freedom pack gives you 300 of the things. that is a lot of texting.

True, some people may use more than that and then I suppose a chat app is useful.

Never tried a messaging app, but I doubt it is as easy as to use as SMS.

There's a lot of apps now which allows you to talk to some people that you know and even to people that you don't know. But SMS/text messaging is still the best and easy to access.

Why would i want to chat with people I don't know? i know I do on Forums, but that is a different thing.

tealady wrote: »
    You can use it with your wifi !
    True, but no good if I am not at home.

MTUK1 wrote: »
    You get 1 unlimited text? :eek: A slight dichotomy if you ask me. :D

Texts, don't sound right for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yep. well there's already Google Talk, which is built in to all Android phones, but plans are afoot for a more integrated messaging app, likely to combine Talk, Google+, Gmail etc. Probably going to be unveiled in a couple of weeks at the big Google conference
    https://developers.google.com/events/io/

Oh good grief, another way to try and get people to use Google+ and more communication spying.

I have never used Google Talk, I would love to get it off my phone, but it will not go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikej wrote: »
    Been using Whatsapp to communicate with my girlfriend who's in the USA for a month for work, it has saved us a good £100 or so! We'd use it when she gets back but both have unlimited texts so little point really.

Now that I can understand, I use Skype to chat with someone in the US, because it is free, even if I hate Skype, certainly now that MS have got hold of it.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Texts, don't sound right for some reason.

The plural of Text is Texts. If you eat 3 apples you wouldn't say "I've eaten 3 apple". It's a bit like when people say "my mate text me" instead of the correct "my mate texted me". Sorry but it's just lazy! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use WhatsApp much more then texts as do most people I know now. At home I'm always connected to wifi and me and my mate are forever sending random joke pictures back and forth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom doom google are evil doom doom doom

You never fail to disappoint, noise747 ;)
  • unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What puts more pressure on the networks SMS messages or Chat apps like Whats app and Viber ?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good grief, another way to try and get people to use Google+ and more communication spying.

I have never used Google Talk, I would love to get it off my phone, but it will not go.

Have you spotted those black helicopters over your house again:D
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst they specifically mention Whatsapp, it says "chat apps" generally. It would be interesting to know if iMessage non-SMS messages are included in that figure as well.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still use SMS more than anything else.