Backing Up the PS3

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So having just lost all my content, about 400GB's worth, I've decided this time I want to back up.

So if I download and install all my content, and I'm using around 300GB of storage on my PS3, if I then make a backup, surely I'm going to need a 320GB external to do this? Or does it compress it to a point where it's only half?

Thanks

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    So having just lost all my content, about 400GB's worth, I've decided this time I want to back up.

So if I download and install all my content, and I'm using around 300GB of storage on my PS3, if I then make a backup, surely I'm going to need a 320GB external to do this? Or does it compress it to a point where it's only half?

Thanks

I have about 400GB worth of stuff on my PS3 when i backed it up to my 1TB external drive it used just under 400GB.
    I don't think it does compress it not that i could see anyway.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    just backup the saves imo if your games are on PSN and you have to start from sractch just redownload them whenever you play them again

obviously if you store movies and photos only on your ps3 then back up them aswell
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Might be a stupid question, but once I have backed up, if my PS3 breaks, and I buy a new one, can I load the backup onto my new PS3?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Yes..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you have to use a FAT32 external drive to back the PS3 up? How do I format the new drive I bought to FAT32?

I thought maximum file size on a FAT32 was 4GB?

Thanks
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you have to use a FAT32 external drive to back the PS3 up? How do I format the new drive I bought to FAT32?

I thought maximum file size on a FAT32 was 4GB?

Thanks

Correct the maximum size is 4GB but it breaks them down into 4 GB chunks but sees it as 1 file.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use a defrafgment tool i used this one :)http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you can store other stuff on the external along side your back up right?

My plan is to download all my purchases, back up my console, and then download my plus content. Seems stupid to backup plus content when in say 2 years I may not be a subscriber.

It's probably a good thing too, as if Sony ever turns off PSN on the PS3, at least you have a backup of all your purchases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you can store other stuff on the external along side your back up right?

My plan is to download all my purchases, back up my console, and then download my plus content. Seems stupid to backup plus content when in say 2 years I may not be a subscriber.

It's probably a good thing too, as if Sony ever turns off PSN on the PS3, at least you have a backup of all your purchases.

Yes you can still use it as a bog standard external hd , the ps3 stuff will be in it's own folder. You'll also be able to use the hdd to watch movies , listen to music( you have stored on it) on your ps3 too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you all backup, do you include Plus content? Seems pointless if you're backing up in case your console breaks.

I am right in saying though that the backup can be loaded on to a replacement console and hard drive? I didn't think you could? Otherwise, couldn't you just give the backup full of games to all your mates?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are telling me this can't be done due to some games having copyright issues?

I presumed I could back up the entire console, and then if my console breaks and I buy a new one, load the backup onto a new console to restore all my games? This could also be handy if PSN ever gets turned off on PS3 right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are telling me this can't be done due to some games having copyright issues?

I presumed I could back up the entire console, and then if my console breaks and I buy a new one, load the backup onto a new console to restore all my games? This could also be handy if PSN ever gets turned off on PS3 right?

They are correct some games have copy protection and will not copy to a external HDD , the game saves should be fine though.
    With the copy protected games you will have to re-download them. Go to account - transactions - download list. They'll all be there waiting for you to re-download :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    They are correct some games have copy protection and will not copy to a external HDD , the game saves should be fine though.
    With the copy protected games you will have to re-download them. Go to account - transactions - download list. They'll all be there waiting for you to re-download :)

I just read if you 'deactivate' your PS3 before making a backup, then everything you backup will then restore perfectly.

Not sure if this is true or not... from what I read, most PSN games are protected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm not convinced this apparent 'backup' is a complete back up. I'm using about 430GB on my console, and the backup was just over 300GB so it appears I've probably lost about 100GB in the backup.

What the hell is the point in that feature then?!